Fox/King shocks???

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Well thanks for starting this thread Jersey . I just got off the EVO sight because I want to get the 4" enforcerlift but didn't know which shock to get , I've determined that the 2" king will be fine if the ride comfort won't be that different.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea this is a good thread. I had pretty much decided on the 2.5 kings and the Enforcer lift also.

This thread helps firm up my decision. 👍

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Jersey_Devil

This thread is a good one! I found out a lot that I didn't know before! I'm gonna get those plush coils and the King shocks!

Jkindy

I run evo plush ride coils with the teraflex fox resi shocks. good controlled ride fast over rough terrain and good road manners. I am going to evo coilovers this year. Have been running the shocks and springs hard for a year and have been very happy with them

Still learning the suspension and coil overs. Would u have to get rid of your entire coil and shock since going to coil overs?
If so I'd be interested in your set up depending on what lift it gives.

StrizzyChris

Still learning the suspension and coil overs. Would u have to get rid of your entire coil and shock since going to coil overs?

U ditch the independent socks and springs when u go with coilovers.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Jkindy

Thanks that's what I was thinking.
After looking at the Evo enforcer kit I am leaning towards getting this with king 2.0 since around me there is not much high speed off roading mostly woods and mud.
Currently have a stiff cheap coil and shock. Would like mine to ride nice both on and off road.

Jersey_Devil

Thanks that's what I was thinking.
After looking at the Evo enforcer kit I am leaning towards getting this with king 2.0 since around me there is not much high speed off roading mostly woods and mud.
Currently have a stiff cheap coil and shock. Would like mine to ride nice both on and off road.

Same here.... I'm gonna go with the plush coils and fox res shocks.... (don't need the "extra" that the kings will give.... Especially the $1000 more price!) the plush coils will soften it up some.

Jkindy

Same here.... I'm gonna go with the plush coils and fox res shocks.... (don't need the "extra" that the kings will give.... Especially the $1000 more price!) the plush coils will soften it up some.

So you saying I might be better off just going with the coils and shocks? Instead of the entire kit?
I have the rc 3.25 lift now with quick disconnects does the job but does ride stiff. I have put a few thousand miles and have yet to do alignment and it tracks straight as an arrow and doesn't go all over when I hit a bump. But it does jolt that first hit from bump due to stiffness

Jkindy

I want to do this right but don't want to do something over board when I can use the money elsewhere.
I do woods and mud trails. Here in Indiana Ohio.
Have 33" duratracs now looking to go with a 44" axel up front someday with lockers and gear the back and do 37" tires but just not sure what to do as I'm looking at doing the suspension again so don't want it to be a third time.

Jersey_Devil

So you saying I might be better off just going with the coils and shocks? Instead of the entire kit?
I have the rc 3.25 lift now with quick disconnects does the job but does ride stiff. I have put a few thousand miles and have yet to do alignment and it tracks straight as an arrow and doesn't go all over when I hit a bump. But it does jolt that first hit from bump due to stiffness

I want to do this right but don't want to do something over board when I can use the money elsewhere.
I do woods and mud trails. Here in Indiana Ohio.
Have 33" duratracs now looking to go with a 44" axel up front someday with lockers and gear the back and do 37" tires but just not sure what to do as I'm looking at doing the suspension again so don't want it to be a third time.

O no I would still get the Enforcer kit, especially with what ur still doing in the future.... I already have the kit that suits my needs that's why I'm just doing coils and shocks to improve on the existing kit

Jkindy

O no I would still get the Enforcer kit, especially with what ur still doing in the future.... I already have the kit that suits my needs that's why I'm just doing coils and shocks to improve on the existing kit

I see and that now makes sense. I feel comfortable spending that money for that set up knowing it will be done and over for a long time.
Thank you all for the clarifications and input. I love this forum!

Jersey_Devil

I see and that now makes sense. I feel comfortable spending that money for that set up knowing it will be done and over for a long time.
Thank you all for the clarifications and input. I love this forum!

Not a problem! Have fun with ur build!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Update:

I had a chance to really test out my King 2.5" resi shocks while at KOH. The first day I ran it set up without changing anything and I felt that I was getting beat up a little. I found that I bottomed out while going over the whoops quite often.

After talking to ChrisB and WOL at camp that night I did two things different the next day: 1) I dialed the compression adjusters to the stiffest setting and 2) drove faster...much faster! The later seemed a bit counterintuitive, but they know their stuff and haven't lead me astray yet.

Needless to say on day 2 I had a blast! I was amazed how well the jeep performed! The shocks really shined at higher speeds (~50 mph) and I rarely hit the bump stops and only on the bigger whoops. This was fully loaded in the back and with 3 people in the jeep. Now it is no DTD/EVO Lever, but I am completely happy with it. :D Though, I may look to add the compression adjusters to the front shocks at some point. If I was playing in the desert more, I'd probably look to add the King air bumps as well, but as it stands I think I'll skip them and keep the extra up travel I would loose.

Anyway, thought I'd post that up in case it helps anyone deciding on which shocks to buy. :thumb:

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks MTG that's very useful first hand information! I was considering wether or not to get the adjusters.

👍

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Update:

I had a chance to really test out my King 2.5" resi shocks while at KOH. The first day I ran it set up without changing anything and I felt that I was getting beat up a little. I found that I bottomed out while going over the whoops quite often.

After talking to ChrisB and WOL at camp that night I did two things different the next day: 1) I dialed the compression adjusters to the stiffest setting and 2) drove faster...much faster! The later seemed a bit counterintuitive, but they know their stuff and haven't lead me astray yet.

Needless to say on day 2 I had a blast! I was amazed how well the jeep performed! The shocks really shined at higher speeds (~50 mph) and I rarely hit the bump stops and only on the bigger whoops. This was fully loaded in the back and with 3 people in the jeep. Now it is no DTD/EVO Lever, but I am completely happy with it. :D Though, I may look to add the compression adjusters to the front shocks at some point. If I was playing in the dessert more, I'd probably look to add the King air bumps as well, but as it stands I think I'll skip them and keep the extra up travel I would loose.

Anyway, thought I'd post that up in case it helps anyone deciding on which shocks to buy. :thumb:

I concur with all of this.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks MTG that's very useful first hand information! I was considering wether or not to get the adjusters.

WAYALIFE APP 

I would get them. I plan to play around with mine more now that I see what they do. I'm kicking myself for not getting them up front.

I have to say, I didn't dial them back yet and I can really feel how stiff they are around town and over speed bumps. :eek:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We're you along for that ride?

Is that why he kept bottoming out? lol jk 

WAYALIFE APP 

Is that a fat joke? :9lame:

:cheesy: Yeah I was along for the ride. I was actually surprised at how well it rode. The day before I was riding with Moochie and his coilovers so I had something to compare it to and it rode really nice!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Is that a fat joke? :9lame:

:cheesy: Yeah I was along for the ride. I was actually surprised at how well it rode. The day before I was riding with Moochie and his coilovers so I had something to compare it to and it rode really nice!

Sorry I'm a child sometimes :D

Even though I won't have my lift for a few months I'm really excited about it! I honestly haven't been satisfied with the ride quality since I added all the bumpers etc. 

It's good to hear first hand comparisons! :thumb:

WAYALIFE APP 

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I would get them. I plan to play around with mine more now that I see what they do. I'm kicking myself for not getting them up front.

I have to say, I didn't dial them back yet and I can really feel how stiff they are around town and over speed bumps. :eek:

Guess you have to hit em at 50+ mph! :brows:

As for being dialed in at KOH, I was in the back seat and the ride was pretty smooth considering the speed (about 60-65 I'd say) and whoops we were hitting. I drove with MTG for the better part of 3 days and was impressed with the King. Oh and the shocks were good too. ;)

Mitch

One thing to note.
When comparing shocks, Most people are not comparing apples to apples.

The King shocks come with a bigger shock body and shaft size. If you would price the shocks against an equally built shock from Fox or Bilstein the price would not be as far off. To the eye (or picture) they look the same but are not even close.

Even the cheapest King shock can be rebuilt or revalved:thumb:

But having 2.5 shocks you loose travel to a 2.0 shock. Normally the 2.5 shock compared with a 2.0 shock has 2" less travel.
For a standadr 2.5-3.5" it´s 8" travel against 10" from a 2.0 shock or even 11" travel from a "cheap" shock.

I´m also just thinking about my new shocks. It will either be 2.0 bypass shocks with 10" travel or a combined Fox res + adj. shock kit with Teraflex Speedbumps.
Not quite sure wich way I go.

Top Bottom