Fox/King shocks???

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So what is the real advantage of the remote reservoirs? Is the advantage only when cycling the shock rapidly, or are there some other benefits for having the larger reservoir? If all you're doing is rock crawling with maybe some minor dirt road riding between, are the remote ress a bit of overkill? I'm also looking to upgrade my coils/shocks so that I get a lot more travel for crawling and was wondering what the best way to go - within my budget. It looks like you could get the Fox shocks with remote reservoirs for about $750, the Kings w/o reservoirs for about $950 and the Kings with remote reservoirs for about $1300. At $950, the Kings are still pretty much up there, but, as was mentioned before, you do get what you pay for - I'm just trying to understand what that is.

If all you do is rock crawl and a bit of dirt road riding, yes, reservoirs are overkill. Their benefit is that you'll have a larger capacity of oil and having it go to a remote reservoir will help keep it cool. This will help to prevent cavitation and performing as designed longer under extreme conditions.

mgmavant

Okay - thanks for the info. I'm leaning a bit more toward the Kings w/o reservoirs, just might have to wait a bit longer and beg the wife for forgiveness (after I order, of course). ;)

Jersey_Devil

Think I know what I'm gonna get.... Gonna go with adjustable kings after the info u all provided me with. I'm not unhappy with my ride... I just got a lot of long dirt roads with ruts all over and I'd like to be able to cruise down them w/O blowing my shocks out..... Thank u all again!

nacho

I run evo plush ride coils with the teraflex fox resi shocks. good controlled ride fast over rough terrain and good road manners. I am going to evo coilovers this year. Have been running the shocks and springs hard for a year and have been very happy with them

Jersey_Devil

Ppl are talking about getting them "valved" for their suspension.... So I already decided I'm getting the adjustable Kings, but online it just asks what size lift I have.... Nothing about valving for my suspension.... Will they work with my Skyjacker springs? Or do I have to change springs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ppl are talking about getting them "valved" for their suspension.... So I already decided I'm getting the adjustable Kings, but online it just asks what size lift I have.... Nothing about valving for my suspension.... Will they work with my Skyjacker springs? Or do I have to change springs?

The Kings you're looking at will already be valved for the weight of a JK. Companies like EVO will go so far as to have them valved specifically for what they feel would be optimal with their Plush Ride coils. Of course, ride comfort is 100% subjective.

kevinp

While not one of the choices, I installed Bilstein 5160's and they are great on the street. I am waiting on the lift to get here to take them out on the trail.

Sincerely
Kevin

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Wayalife mobile app

Jersey_Devil

The Kings you're looking at will already be valved for the weight of a JK. Companies like EVO will go so far as to have them valved specifically for what they feel would be optimal with their Plush Ride coils. Of course, ride comfort is 100% subjective.

OK thank you!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
One thing to note.
When comparing shocks, Most people are not comparing apples to apples.

The King shocks come with a bigger shock body and shaft size. If you would price the shocks against an equally built shock from Fox or Bilstein the price would not be as far off. To the eye (or picture) they look the same but are not even close.

Even the cheapest King shock can be rebuilt or revalved:thumb:

Last edited:

TacPen

Banned

I believe that's the case with the FOX shocks as well.

Not so the Bilstein though, the 5160 and above can be rebuilt and revalved but the 5100 and HD series can not.

Jersey_Devil

One thing to note.

The King shocks come with a bigger shock body and shaft size. If you would price the shocks against an equally built shock from Fox or Bilstein the price would not be as far off. To the eye (or picture) they look the same but are not even close.

I was wondering why Northridge4x4 quoted me $740 for all 4 dual res Fox shocks and Evo had the Kings for $1700....Think the Evo will be getting my income tax money! Lol

Hightower

One thing to note.

I second what Chris B has said apples to apples.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I was under the impression that they were equal till ppl started commenting and telling me otherwise.

If you ever get the chance, pick up and hold some of the different shocks out there. I remember the first time I really got to touch and hold King shocks at SEMA a few years back. You really get to feel just how beefy they are compared to some of the competition out there. I helped install MTG's Enforcer kit last year and I've spent some time behind the wheel of his Jeep. Trust me, King 2.5's will put a smile on your face.

Jersey_Devil

If you ever get the chance, pick up and hold some of the different shocks out there. I remember the first time I really got to touch and hold King shocks at SEMA a few years back. You really get to feel just how beefy they are compared to some of the competition out there. I helped install MTG's Enforcer kit last year and I've spent some time behind the wheel of his Jeep. Trust me, King 2.5's will put a smile on your face.

The only way I'll get a chance to hold them is if I buy em.... Nowhere around me will have those sitting around.... Places near me would have no idea if I said I want king dual res shocks.....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ Fair enough. Had I not gone to SEMA, I'd would have been in the same boat until MTG's install. The first time I saw them off a Jeep I remember thinking how in the f$&@ do those things fit on a Jeep JK. When they are off the Jeep, they look unbelievably huge.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I was under the impression that they were equal till ppl started commenting and telling me otherwise.

Bilstein and fox make bad ass shocks, but people do not compare the right ones. Its not their fault. They don't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jersey_Devil

^^ Fair enough. Had I not gone to SEMA, I'd would have been in the same boat until MTG's install. The first time I saw them off a Jeep I remember thinking how in the f$&@ do those things fit on a Jeep JK. When they are off the Jeep, they look unbelievably huge.

Bilstein and fox make bad ass shocks, but people do not compare the right ones. Its not their fault. They don't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Best show around here is the philly auto show (this year camp Jeep is there)... Nothing good there I can't see down the road at the dealership....

And o I know that blisten are great shocks, I just have a thing for the fox, and then in learned of the kings... So like in the beginning I can't justify spending $5k on coilovers but 1700 is a lot less for something close.... And I didn't know I could buy just the plush ride coils..

What will they do different than my Skyjacker coils?

Tackerdown

Banned
Well thanks for starting this thread Jersey . I just got off the EVO sight because I want to get the 4" enforcerlift but didn't know which shock to get , I've determined that the 2" king will be fine if the ride comfort won't be that different.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom