Freezing Truck-Lites

Holeshot

Banned
I have my truck-lites on for almost 2 complete winters now, And I have ran through a lot of different winter road conditions so far. The worst temperature for these lights is anywhere between 20 to 40F, where the rain turns into slush and freeze over everything or accumulate without freezing.

I have ran into a snow storm around 30F and it was a pain, had to stop every 10 min to clean the lights. Also got caught in another storm at like -15F and it was a charm. The colder the better. IF your lens stays cold, then snow will slide over it like it wasn't there.

jhires

Ran into this at Snoqualmie Pass this weekend It was right around 32F and snowing pretty well all day. Headlights were on the entire day. Note the turn signal and foglight are clean.

I wonder if rain-x would help.

20140215_204202246_iOS.jpg

Voodoo Actual

Ran into this at Snoqualmie Pass this weekend It was right around 32F and snowing pretty well all day. Headlights were on the entire day. Note the turn signal and foglight are clean.

I wonder if rain-x would help.

View attachment 69587

I've tried the spray and foam RainX. Doesn't do a thing.

I'm considering the IPF replacement headlights. They are bright and have a nice pattern.

If the TL's had a heating element they'd be okay but, they don't.

Anyone have freezing temperature experience with the Speaker lights?

Voodoo Actual

I have my truck-lites on for almost 2 complete winters now, And I have ran through a lot of different winter road conditions so far. The worst temperature for these lights is anywhere between 20 to 40F, where the rain turns into slush and freeze over everything or accumulate without freezing.

I have ran into a snow storm around 30F and it was a pain, had to stop every 10 min to clean the lights. Also got caught in another storm at like -15F and it was a charm. The colder the better. IF your lens stays cold, then snow will slide over it like it wasn't there.

20 - 40F is a pretty common temperature for the mountains with snow. So that's a bummer.

Sounds like these lights really need a heating element.

Holeshot

Banned
I would try to do a headlamp washer system before trying to do a custom heating element :thinking: many cars comes with headlamp washers these days.

What I would try to find is an electronic bypass valve (solenoid) for the washer fluid, You put a switch somewhere, and when it is activated it blocs the hoses that goes to the windshield and route it to the headlamp washers when you press the washer lever on the steering column. That would be very easy to do. Only need to find that kind of bypass valve.

CerOf

I always enjoyed my sleds thumb heaters. Maybe look in to adapting thumb/grip warmers?

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Trucklite is aware of the problem and is now making the headlights in a heated version. Im searching for the pic of it now. I saw it on another forum before, so I gotta dig it out.

SDG

Caught the Bug
attachment.php

SDG

Caught the Bug
I've was thinking about running a defrost strip in a circular pattern on the lens like this. If I can get TL with them already in them I'll probably just do that.

Are they commercially available yet?

Only in 24v for military applications as far as I know.

Voodoo Actual

You can try this product.....it is sold at Home Depot.......this should solve your problem.......it won't allow the ice to stick to the surface of the lens......it's a superhydrophobic application that works on a myriad of surfaces and creates a non stick coating.........hope this helps you.

http://www.neverwet.com

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWQaQ7nJb8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=hyWQaQ7nJb8

~Woodrow~

I've seen neverwet in some other applications; it comes off if there's any friction on the surface - the only time you add friction to your lights is when you are cleaning or in this case, de icing them.

Worth a shot.

PNWjeeper

Going to the mountains this weekend with the defrosting truck lites. Should have them exposed to temp around 20-40 degrees with a lot of moisture. Will post an update in the thread I started.

Top Bottom