Freezing Truck-Lites

Skid_Kid

I was under the impression they weren't commercially available.

I asked Northridge last week and they didn't think they were available. Won't hurt to double back.

I was referring to this. Developed for military use only-not recommended for 12v commercial vehicles. So say you plug them in and they work, then your driving along and the Trucklites cause your electrical system to fry. Not their fault cause they put it out to the world they are not intended for commercial vehicles, probably a reason they are stating this.

Voodoo Actual

I was referring to this. Developed for military use only-not recommended for 12v commercial vehicles. So say you plug them in and they work, then your driving along and the Trucklites cause your electrical system to fry. Not their fault cause they put it out to the world they are not intended for commercial vehicles, probably a reason they are stating this.

I thought I read they have then for 12V systems on that spec sheet.....

Edit:

"Retrofits any existing 7round headlamp application, 12v or 24v, as 9v-33v multivolt design operates in both 12v and 24v systems without adjustment"

Looks like they should work. I'll call TL Monday and see what they say.

Last edited:

Skid_Kid

7" Round Military
LED Headlamp
For Additional Info
• Contact Truck-lite Military Sales Manager:
• Jacques Baudeloque
• (313)506-8481
jbaudeloque@truck-lite.com
Notice:
• Developed for military use only-not
recommended for 12v commercial vehicles.
• DOT compliant, High Beam and Low Beam
performance
• Provides brighter, crisper and whiter light
output closer to the color temperature of
daylight, dramatically improving light projection
distance and overall visibility
• Solid-state design with internal components
sealed in epoxy to resists damage from shock
& vibration
• Impact resistant non-yellowing lens-grade
polycarbonate lens protects against damage
caused by debris and other hazards
• Overvoltage spike protection up to 600v
• Short (3/8 and Long (3/4 bucket mounting
studs options available
• Newly-upgrade options feature a
complex-reflector design that spreads light
more evenly across the field of view
• Heated Lens options available for steady,
complete-surface melting of snow and ice -
only active when temperatures drop
• Hard wired design, fully encapsulated
electronics & eCoat, die cast aluminum
housing protect from damage caused by
corrosive elements
• Retrofits any existing 7round headlamp
application, 12v or 24v, as 9v-33v multivolt
design operates in both 12v and 24v systems
without adjustment
• Constant voltage output does not increase or
dim in response to system voltage changes

I sent Truck-Lite a PM to see if they can clear up all our questions. I have Truck-Lites in my black JK, with possibly moving up north, I would love some that defrost. But I want them to be safe for commercial use before I install them.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

7" Round Military
LED Headlamp
For Additional Info
• Contact Truck-lite Military Sales Manager:
• Jacques Baudeloque
• (313)506-8481
jbaudeloque@truck-lite.com
Notice:
• Developed for military use only-not
recommended for 12v commercial vehicles.
• DOT compliant, High Beam and Low Beam
performance
• Provides brighter, crisper and whiter light
output closer to the color temperature of
daylight, dramatically improving light projection
distance and overall visibility
• Solid-state design with internal components
sealed in epoxy to resists damage from shock
& vibration
• Impact resistant non-yellowing lens-grade
polycarbonate lens protects against damage
caused by debris and other hazards
• Overvoltage spike protection up to 600v
• Short (3/8 and Long (3/4 bucket mounting
studs options available
• Newly-upgrade options feature a
complex-reflector design that spreads light
more evenly across the field of view
• Heated Lens options available for steady,
complete-surface melting of snow and ice -
only active when temperatures drop
• Hard wired design, fully encapsulated
electronics & eCoat, die cast aluminum
housing protect from damage caused by
corrosive elements
• Retrofits any existing 7round headlamp
application, 12v or 24v, as 9v-33v multivolt
design operates in both 12v and 24v systems
without adjustment
• Constant voltage output does not increase or
dim in response to system voltage changes

I sent Truck-Lite a PM to see if they can clear up all our questions. I have Truck-Lites in my black JK, with possibly moving up north, I would love some that defrost. But I want them to be safe for commercial use before I install them.

Agreed.

It's be nice if they were safe. It's also be nice of our shiny expensive lights worked in the snow etc.

Even if the coils only ran at 50% on a 12V system, that's still better than not having coils and having frozen lights.

Skid_Kid

Agreed.

It's be nice if they were safe. It's also be nice of our shiny expensive lights worked in the snow etc.

Even if the coils only ran at 50% on a 12V system, that's still better than not having coils and having frozen lights.

But if the coils run at only 50% you might have a fire hazard and or electrical hazard.

Holeshot

Banned
Here's my input on that. I am a tech in a chrysler dealer, and been 3 year in a ford dealer too, so I have a bit of experience and knowledge with electrical system.

Theoricaly, Yes, the heating element will work 50% of what it could on a 12v system compared to a 24v only because of the voltage change. Its not the design that does that, its only electrical laws. http://www.hamuniverse.com/ohmslaw.html

If you want to find how much amperage it will consume, you need this formula : I = V / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

So let say it is on a 12v system (we got "v"), the heating element as a resistance of, let say i.e : 6 ohm (we got the "R"), so lets complete the formula. We want to find "I", so, "I" is equal to 12 volts / 6 ohm = 2. In this case, the element would consume 2 amps.

If you put that same light on a 24v system, you just double that number. I=V/R, so I=24/6=4. So on a 24v system, the element would consume 4 amps.

So that said, yes its normal that the element works only at 50% of what it would do on a 24V only because of the above law.

IMO, why it is not designed for commercial vehicules is only because of the harness and connectors, a light stays a light, if its DOT compliant with hi and low beams, you will be alright if you can do a custom wiring on your jeep.

:standing wave:

Holeshot

Banned
Technically not. What is the amperage? Does our 12V system in our JK's produce the same amount or more then say a 24V Humvee that these were designed for?

The amperage produced by the alternator is not related to what the light or heating element will consume.

The amperage consumed only depends on the resistance of the consumer, not on the power supplied. Yes on a 24V system, it will consume more than on a 12v system, but it's nothing to worry about. (see my above post)

Skid_Kid

Here's my input on that. I am a tech in a chrysler dealer, and been 3 year in a ford dealer too, so I have a bit of experience and knowledge with electrical system.

Theoricaly, Yes, the heating element will work 50% of what it could on a 12v system compared to a 24v only because of the voltage change. Its not the design that does that, its only electrical laws. http://www.hamuniverse.com/ohmslaw.html

If you want to find how much amperage it will consume, you need this formula : I = V / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

So let say it is on a 12v system (we got "v"), the heating element as a resistance of, let say i.e : 6 ohm (we got the "R"), so lets complete the formula. We want to find "I", so, "I" is equal to 12 volts / 6 ohm = 2. In this case, the element would consume 2 amps.

If you put that same light on a 24v system, you just double that number. I=V/R, so I=24/6=4. So on a 24v system, the element would consume 4 amps.

So that said, yes its normal that the element works only at 50% of what it would do on a 24V only because of the above law.

IMO, why it is not designed for commercial vehicules is only because of the harness and connectors, a light stays a light, if its DOT compliant with hi and low beams, you will be alright if you can do a custom wiring on your jeep.

:standing wave:

And as soon as you do a custom job and plug those Truck-Lites in, I bet the warranty to the Truck-Lites is now NULL and VOID.

Voodoo Actual

And as soon as you do a custom job and plug those Truck-Lites in, I bet the warranty to the Truck-Lites is now NULL and VOID.

Think so?

TL aren't a direct drop in anyways, we have to run H13 - H4 pigtails with anti flicker.

The specs say they use a 3 blade H4 connector just like what we have now.

I think I need these.

Skid_Kid

Think so?

TL aren't a direct drop in anyways, we have to run H13 - H4 pigtails with anti flicker.

The specs say they use a 3 blade H4 connector just like what we have now.

I think I need these.

I have Truck-Lites. I know what it says. But it also says for Military 24V systems only on the heated lenses ones.

Sent from my AN/ARC-210

Voodoo Actual

I have Truck-Lites. I know what it says. But it also says for Military 24V systems only on the heated lenses ones.

Sent from my AN/ARC-210

I get that.

PNWJeeper appears to be running the heated TL's in his JK though.

This gives us hope as long as he has not turned into an inferno.

Top Bottom