Gas cap and check engine light?

10abadilla/jk

that's normal- if you have the original gas cap try what I posted. sometimes it may take several starts before it resets. I've had it take up to a week unless I reset by disconnect the battery cables for 15 minutes to reset.
Yea it is the oem cap. I'll probably try to reset it by disconnecting the battery. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

Turns out codes finally came up on my jeep. Evap purge system. Where might that be located in the 3.6l I just replaced the evap canister under the jeep like 2 weeks ago and the check engine light came back on stating a loose gas cap and evap purge system.

Lmoye22

Same thing happened to me yesterday, replaced the canister and it was a gasket near it. You most likely have a leak where the small white box that is attached to the larger black canister.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I thought RTV couldn't be in contact with gasoline because it's a solvent?

Sent from my duck blind.
Permatex makes a fuel resistant rtv. And the leak detection pump does not have fuel going through it anyways. Its more of a vacuum I believe. But none the less I would not use rtv when there is a gasket made and available for the pump.

10abadilla/jk

So I have replaced the evap canister and fuel cap. I am still getting codes p0456 and p0457. Loose fuel cap and evap purge system small leak. I'm not sure what my next step should be. Should I replace the leak detector pump. Or purge solenoid? Could the fuel tank be the part that is leaking. I can't see or smell fuel anywhere by the tank. I'm not sure where to look next

Last edited:

Drdiesel1

So I have replaced the evap canister and fuel cap. I am still getting codes p0456 and p0457. Loose fuel cap and evap purge system small leak. I'm not sure what my next step should be. Should I replace the leak detector pump. Or purge solenoid? Could the fuel tank be the part that is leaking. I can't see or smell fuel anywhere by the tank. I'm not sure where to look next

IMO, you should have the system properly tested and that usually requires a smoke machine. Throwing parts at it will
cost you way more than having someone capable to diagnose and repair it.

10abadilla/jk

So I now have it down to gas cap. Check engine light is on p0456. Gas cap. I have replaced it with an AutoZone one And cleared the code. It came back on. Put the original one back on and lubed it. Cleared code. And it came back on. Is there an aftermarket cap I should invest in. Or should I buy another oem one?

BaddestCross

So I now have it down to gas cap. Check engine light is on p0456. Gas cap. I have replaced it with an AutoZone one And cleared the code. It came back on. Put the original one back on and lubed it. Cleared code. And it came back on. Is there an aftermarket cap I should invest in. Or should I buy another oem one?

I don't know about anyone else, but I always seem to have a problem with aftermarket gas caps regardless of the type of vehicle I've had to replace them on. After the last go around, I now always pony up the extra dough on an OEM cap.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

View attachment 225169
Got into the jeep this afternoon and the gas cap and check engine light is on. I checked the gas cap multiple times and the light stayed on while driving around as well as the check engine light. My question is can the gas cap also make the check engine light come on or does it seem like something else is at play being that both lights are in? I also inspected everything and all good good. It's running just fine as well. Thank you all for the help.

Could be a loose hose or bad valve on the EVAP canister? It would likely Throw that same code.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom