Gas cap and check engine light?

10abadilla/jk

I don't know about anyone else, but I always seem to have a problem with aftermarket gas caps regardless of the type of vehicle I've had to replace them on. After the last go around, I now always pony up the extra dough on an OEM cap.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's what I figured. I clear the code and it last about a week or 2 then comes back on

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
See if your dealer has a smoke machine. Run your tank down to half. They can put smoke in the tank and find out where the leak is but it will probably cost 100 bucks. You could probably do it yourself with dry ice and water too if you made some kind of contraption. Then find out where the leak is.

10abadilla/jk

See if your dealer has a smoke machine. Run your tank down to half. They can put smoke in the tank and find out where the leak is but it will probably cost 100 bucks. You could probably do it yourself with dry ice and water too if you made some kind of contraption. Then find out where the leak is.
I'll probably try to build something myself that way I can save for a regear that may be in the near future. Sooner them I thought. I just hope it's nothing major. I know the code is considered a small leak. Should I just pay the 100 and not be cheap. Or start with a replacement mopar gas cap. And go from there.

WJCO

Meme King
I'll probably try to build something myself that way I can save for a regear that may be in the near future. Sooner them I thought. I just hope it's nothing major. I know the code is considered a small leak. Should I just pay the 100 and not be cheap. Or start with a replacement mopar gas cap. And go from there.

If the gas cap is only 20 bucks or so, I would start there. If more, I would figure out a way to smoke the system so you could find the actual leak.

black pearl

Hooked
I don't know about anyone else, but I always seem to have a problem with aftermarket gas caps regardless of the type of vehicle I've had to replace them on. After the last go around, I now always pony up the extra dough on an OEM cap.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

My father in law was having issues with his gas cap on his TJ after trying a few different aftermarket one he got one from the dealership hasn't had a issue since

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jbolfango

So I now have it down to gas cap. Check engine light is on p0456. Gas cap. I have replaced it with an AutoZone one And cleared the code. It came back on. Put the original one back on and lubed it. Cleared code. And it came back on. Is there an aftermarket cap I should invest in. Or should I buy another oem one?

I read a different thread where the issue was a vacuum tube near the battery that corroded. Wrapped the corroded part with electric tape and it solved my problem.

ScoobyCarolanNC

On my jeep the port where the vapor hose attaches to the gas tank had cracked and then broken off completely. Another member recommended using a ballpoint pen tube as a stint. When it was leaking I'd get P4055 & P4056 (small or large evap leak) or "gascap". Then it would go away. Once it failed I just had the CEL all the time. Here's my thread with tons of pics. PM me if you need backup.

Fuel tank vapor port cracked/broken!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=59401&share_type=t&share_pid=775405

Sent from My duck blind using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

10abadilla/jk

On my jeep the port where the vapor hose attaches to the gas tank had cracked and then broken off completely. Another member recommended using a ballpoint pen tube as a stint. When it was leaking I'd get P4055 & P4056 (small or large evap leak) or "gascap". Then it would go away. Once it failed I just had the CEL all the time. Here's my thread with tons of pics. PM me if you need backup.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=59401&share_type=t&share_pid=775405

Awesome Thank you so much. I will be sure to check that tonight.

10abadilla/jk

So I checked for the same issue you had and everything was good and in tact. No cracks or breaks. I appreciate the info. Definitely something to look out for later down the road.

ScoobyCarolanNC

So I checked for the same issue you had and everything was good and in tact. No cracks or breaks. I appreciate the info. Definitely something to look out for later down the road.

Honestly, take some glue or sealant and cover that whole area where you see my repair just in case it's a hairline crack. It can't hurt to reinforce it.

Sent from my duck blind.

Eezybreezy08

My jeep had the check engine light pop on yesterday so I hooked my superchips up to it today to see what it is and I got the same codes as you. Now mine isn't saying gas cap, but I looked it up on the internet before I ran into this thread and a fellow was talking about checking and possible changing the gas cap cause it's the easiest and cheapest fix. Did you try this first or go straight to what you had to do to fix it. I'm asking cause I'm in the same situation as you except it would sure be nice if it was something as simple as a gas cap.
Thanks

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm running a $6 Advance Auto gas cap. To be honest it was part of the problem. Just do it as a maintenance item.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom