Gas cap and check engine light?

10abadilla/jk

My jeep had the check engine light pop on yesterday so I hooked my superchips up to it today to see what it is and I got the same codes as you. Now mine isn't saying gas cap, but I looked it up on the internet before I ran into this thread and a fellow was talking about checking and possible changing the gas cap cause it's the easiest and cheapest fix. Did you try this first or go straight to what you had to do to fix it. I'm asking cause I'm in the same situation as you except it would sure be nice if it was something as simple as a gas cap.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I replaced the gas cap with an oriellys one. And that didn't work. I'm reading a lot and most people are saying get a new one from the dealer. Also try the gas cap first. And check the vacuum lines by the battery. I wrapped all my lines with 10mil to eliminate the possibility of a line leak. I'm pretty much down to thinking it's the gas cap for sure. At least I'm hoping it's that easy. The only reason I'm real concerned with it is because I have to smog it next year. Other wise it's not a big deal.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

It seems to never end for me. 20170112_172647_HDR.jpg 20170112_172700_HDR.jpg 20170112_172704_HDR.jpg 20170112_172710_HDR.jpg 20170112_174005.jpg 20170112_174026.jpg 20170112_174032.jpg
I have wrapped all the lines with 10mil. The only 2 things I can think of next is the pump and solenoid Does that crack in the pump look bad enough to throw a code? I have a new cap on the way from mopar.

WJCO

Meme King
It seems to never end for me. View attachment 238484 View attachment 238485 View attachment 238486 View attachment 238487 View attachment 238488 View attachment 238489 View attachment 238490
I have wrapped all the lines with 10mil. The only 2 things I can think of next is the pump and solenoid Does that crack in the pump look bad enough to throw a code? I have a new cap on the way from mopar.

Any crack can throw a 456 code. I would flexseal that bitch.

10abadilla/jk

Looks like a general complaint. Hit that crack with flex seal or something & it should all go away.

Sent from my duck blind.
So I sealed that crack like you guys stated and replaced the gas cap with a brand new oem one. Drove 500 miles today and so far so good. No check engine light or gas cap light. I hope I'm not speaking to soon but looks like I could be in the clear. Thank you and WJCO.

10abadilla/jk

Cool! Hope it's taken care of. 👍 Nothing bugs me more than a check engine light. Except maybe a squeak. Or a knock. Or loose change rattling in the cup holder. 😂

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app
Right! Thank you so much. Even though its just the evap the check engine light bugs the hell out of me. Especially when someone else gets in the jeep with you and says "hey your check engine light is on" [emoji36] [emoji34]

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Mine has come on once every few months in the last year and I just clear the code with my AEV Pro Cal and it goes away. It happened 3 times since I have had my JKU,. It is a 2010

10abadilla/jk

Mine has come on once every few months in the last year and I just clear the code with my AEV Pro Cal and it goes away. It happened 3 times since I have had my JKU,. It is a 2010
I have cleared it 4 times in the last month or two with the flashcal from superchip. The only issue I have with clearing all the codes is that it does not clear the gas cap light. I have to disconnect the battery for the gas cap light to go away. None the less it has yet to come on when usually it on within the first 100 miles or so. So I feel pretty good about it. I know many people here have had the gas cap light come on with a check engine light. They all said to grease the washer/o-ring on the cap itself. They have all had luck with that.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I did the same thing & I have the same year. Fix it now or it will break completely off.

Sent from my duck blind.

KirstTD

View attachment 225169
Got into the jeep this afternoon and the gas cap and check engine light is on. I checked the gas cap multiple times and the light stayed on while driving around as well as the check engine light. My question is can the gas cap also make the check engine light come on or does it seem like something else is at play being that both lights are in? I also inspected everything and all good good. It's running just fine as well. Thank you all for the help.

I had the exact same problem after Relocating my EVAP Canister. I must have lost the Seal on the Evap System Integrity Module Detector. I found an O-Ring that fit and that Fixed my Problem.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...8TV32I5VPhH5pGgCl1cssgThl43TxYecaArDzEALw_wcB

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRB...Lw_wcB&&_sm_au_=iVVfLQ7HKnQnJRs643F3vK364BGC4

Top Bottom