Genright Aux Fuel Tank with EVO bolt on coilovers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't take me having a different opinion as I don't value the input from everyone. Sometimes you have to ask the right and wrong questions to realize that sometime your idea really did not make sense. The only reason I even say anything about the corner skins and tire carrier with the fuel as there is a mechanical advantage on the way the weight affects your suspension. If I did use the tank the weight would be much close to COG compared to the way Moby handles that weight out there, and that goes for any jeep using the tire carrier running 40's.

Again thank you to everyone on the input.

I can assure you, my corner skins and tire carrier do not weigh anywhere close to what a tank filled with 20 gallon of fuel does AND it's wrapped around the body - NOT all concentrated at one point, the very back of your Jeep. ALSO, they are fixed in place as in, the weight is always the same and in the same place - it's something you can account for and address. This, as opposed to a liquid that can dramatically throw its weight around and change how the rear end of your Jeep behaves depending on how full or empty it is. While the gas tank might be lower on the body, it is again, concentrated and ALL placed at the very back of your Jeep.

Living out in Nevada, I do a TON of long distance wheeling out in the middle of nowhere where having more gas is something that can be helpful. If having an aux tank were as great as you'd like to believe it is, I'd be running one. For anyone who actually wheels their Jeep, they know these tanks are a liability - NOT a benefit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I can assure you, my corner skins and tire carrier do not weigh anywhere close to what a tank filled with 20 gallon of fuel does AND it's wrapped around the body - NOT all concentrated at one point, the very back of your Jeep. ALSO, they are fixed in place as in, the weight is always the same and in the same place - it's something you can account for and address. This, as opposed to a liquid that can dramatically throw its weight around and change how the rear end of your Jeep behaves depending on how full or empty it is. While the gas tank might be lower on the body, it is again, concentrated and ALL placed at the very back of your Jeep.

Living out in Nevada, I do a TON of long distance wheeling out in the middle of nowhere where having more gas is something that can be helpful. If having an aux tank were as great as you'd like to believe it is, I'd be running one. For anyone who actually wheels their Jeep, they know these tanks are a liability - NOT a benefit.

Why would you ever be worried about fuel. It’s not like things are spaced out in Nevada. Not to mention these signs are for pavement and not dirt miles.

IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

whytiptoe

Physically yes they do not weight the same, but I would really like to see the numbers and see how much they weigh with the mechanical over the axel. Just curious on this one is all, and would be cool to know, or at least to me it would be cool to know.

And you are absolutely correct with the dynamic weight of the fuel vs the static weight of a tire carrier and other components. Also yea it still is on the back side of the axle which is not ideal.

Brute

Hooked
To Eddie's point about the dangers of unrestricted weight transfer...I knew a man many years ago that wanted to increase his fish carrying capacity on his boat, so he glassed in a much larger fish hold...but did not center it on the centerline of the hull. Instead, he put it horizontally across the hull about a third of the way from the stern. One day he had a good day of fishing with six 150+ lb ahi's in the hold...on the way home, the seas got bigger and when he turned abeam into the sea the ahi and 400 lbs of ice shifted to one side of the hull and dipped the gunnel under...that boat still sits in 1000 feet of water of Sandy Beach to this day

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
And you are absolutely correct with the dynamic weight of the fuel vs the static weight of a tire carrier and other components. Also yea it still is on the back side of the axle which is not ideal.

Yeah he is correct.
Shifting liquid is dangerous to the stability of a vehicle. If you where to have a tank like this you would be best to leave it empty or full. Imagine a full grown man throwing himself from one side window to the other while in a turn that is already causing your jeep to lean.

whytiptoe

Yeah he is correct.
Shifting liquid is dangerous to the stability of a vehicle. If you where to have a tank like this you would be best to leave it empty or full. Imagine a full grown man throwing himself from one side window to the other while in a turn that is already causing your jeep to lean.

All I see when you say that is some millennial throwing a tantrum. Lol!!!!

I would be like brute and plan to have it as close to empty as possible. So basically the rear tank would be my primary tank to keep it as light as possible.

Brute

Hooked
I shouldn’t drink and math. 20 gallons of gas is about 126lbs.

Ok...a gallon of gas is about 6.25 lbs...I want to know what you're drinking at 8:30 in the morning...football is over, and on my boat the rule is no alcohol until noon unless we put a nice fish in the box before noon, then 9:00 am is ok...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All I see when you say that is some millennial throwing a tantrum. Lol!!!!

I would be like brute and plan to have it as close to empty as possible. So basically the rear tank would be my primary tank to keep it as light as possible.

The other thing to consider is how the gas tank will effect your departure angles. Most people like to relocate their muffler because it gets trashed on the rocks. While it is skid plated, the tank still sits something like 4" below the frame rails.

Also I am thinking of putting on the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger on to help with a little more power.

LOL!! Please, do yourself a favor and save your money. If you want real power, save up for an LS.

Brute

Hooked
Another point is that most fuel tanks have baffles inside to help prevent sudden weight transfer...but it will eventually move...if I were you I'd only put fuel in your rear aux tank for the highway, and leave it near empty for the trail. It is also easier to design a transfer pump system than to have two complete fuel systems...I have an in cab transfer pump switch (which lights red when it's on) and an aux fuel gauge (autometer) mounted to the driver a-pillar.

Give it a lot of consideration before pulling the trigger on this...there are a lot of pros & cons, not the least of which is cost.

Brute

Hooked
The other thing to consider is how the gas tank will effect your departure angles. Most people like to relocate their muffler because it gets trashed on the rocks. While it is skid plated, the tank still sits something like 4" below the frame rails.

LOL!! Please, do yourself a favor and save your money. If you want real power, save up for an LS.

Roger on this...you will need to reroute your exhaust...and skid the tank as well. Even if your not putting fuel in it for the trail, you are adding additional weight that you are not utilizing...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok...a gallon of gas is about 6.25 lbs...I want to know what you're drinking at 8:30 in the morning...football is over, and on my boat the rule is no alcohol until noon unless we put a nice fish in the box before noon, then 9:00 am is ok...

Exactly. I was quoting and making fun of my poor math from last night. ;)

whytiptoe

Id love to go LS but do not want to spend 25K-35K for an LS, while it would be awesome, I just don't want to do it. The roots style supercharger puts the power down low where I actually would need it.

whytiptoe

Another point is that most fuel tanks have baffles inside to help prevent sudden weight transfer...but it will eventually move...if I were you I'd only put fuel in your rear aux tank for the highway, and leave it near empty for the trail. It is also easier to design a transfer pump system than to have two complete fuel systems...I have an in cab transfer pump switch (which lights red when it's on) and an aux fuel gauge (autometer) mounted to the driver a-pillar.

Give it a lot of consideration before pulling the trigger on this...there are a lot of pros & cons, not the least of which is cost.

this kit uses an entire fuel system, so you run it till empty and then switch to the other tank. I like that there is zero transfer that has to be done to use the kit.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

This is exactly how I plan on hooking up mine when I get around to building it. Although it will be more like 30 litres rather than 40 gal. I don’t like carrying jerry cans and I usually need one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The roots style supercharger puts the power down low where I actually would need it.

Yeah, I've read that on the internet too. It's too bad I've never see it perform like it's sold out on the trail. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler.

Being that money is a concern, just regear to the ratio you need and call it a day. Superchargers are a WASTE of money. This is why shops like Motech have so many of them lying around.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Dude just waste your money on whatever you want. You come here looking for people to tell you how great your ideas are when really they are shit. Have you child tell you you have great ideas, not us.

whytiptoe

Dude just waste your money on whatever you want. You come here looking for people to tell you how great your ideas are when really they are shit. Have you child tell you you have great ideas, not us.

Wow that was actually kinda shitty, never once did I not appreciate your thoughts until now. That was a little dick like and there are other people who actually added value to the conversation. Thanks you for your thoughts.

Top Bottom