Going to a Long Arm.. What can I expect?

Deacon

I tend to agree that metalcloak has some gimmicky shit. I never bought into the 6 pack shocks, like stated above more seals to leak. I did buy into there joints though and have not been disappointed yet (fingers crossed) the one thing that JJs definitely has on the MCs is the ability to easily grease them. I sure wish MC had incorporated zerc fittings on their joints. For where I'm at now, I will run them till they break, and upgrade as needed.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've ran the MC control arms now for 2 Years and had zero issues , they flex and ride great- recently disassembled them to inspect and re-lubed the bushings when I installed my Pro Rock 60's (took about an hour and wasn't a big deal.) What would be the benefit of installing a zerk on the joint ?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I've ran the MC control arms now for 2 Years and had zero issues , they flex and ride great- recently disassembled them to inspect and re-lubed the bushings when I installed my Pro Rock 60's (took about an hour and wasn't a big deal.) What would be the benefit of installing a zerk on the joint ?

I would like to say I have had 0 issues as well for over 2 years. That being said I would like a zerk so that I could give the joint some grease every couple months without having to remove every arm. It's not hard to do, but it is far from convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
All you did was share your hatred of Teraflex.. I sincerely appreciate that, but I asked "What can i expect" not Who the F**K hates Teraflex... I have had many Jeeps where i've made several mistakes with regards to the build process.. I am legitimately trying to avoid this which is what brought me here.. I'm sure if i wouldn't have mentioned the brand i would have had a series of different responses.. I understand that we all have opinions and I appreciate that, but i was just looking for "what" i could expect from a Long Arm. This is my 5th wrangler and i bought her as a blank slate with a plan.. I need a rock crawler (not a buggy) that will perform as good on road as off..

Thus far i've received info that indicates it will not flex better than my current set-up and that it will perform better on road. Is that really all you guys can come up with? There are mugs running 40's on this forum and I can't imagine that is on a SA lift..

Oh.. By the way..... GFY!! View attachment 289497

Hand built in the USA with shitty Chinese Steel :thumb:

TheGrendel

Seeing everybody is here chatting about TF and arms in general.

Being that we have right hand drive Jeeps in South Africa. We are limited by what we can fit.

I want to get adjustable control arms to get my geometry back to where I want it as AEV brackets keep on breaking.

At this stage we have the following available.

AEV
BDS
Old man Emu
EFS (China)
Ironmade (China)
Synergy - My choice
Metalcloack
ICON
Teraflex

What will your advice be?

PS: I've tried a few time to get stuff from EVO, but the refuse to ship to SA so that is out of the question.

this may have been answered. Synergy or Metalcloak. or try getting Currie arms.

trailraider

I wouldn't do BDS/Zone. I've been down that road and replaced most of the parts in the kit now with something else. Actually my Zone control arm bushing failed on those with pretty low miles on them(see pics below). Will Currie send arms out to you? I would try to find something with a Johnny Joint if you can.

View attachment 289850

View attachment 289851

not to mention that BDS adjustable control arms threads strip out.

Five-N9ne

Funny, didn’t even know there was a debate.

Radius arms are nothing but a different style of colloquially-named "long arm" suspension setups. So are 3-links, so are 4-links, triangulated or not. Different advantages/disadvantages, different flavors, etc. What most Jeep people see as a radius arm isn't a true point-to-point radius arm anyway, but that's semantics.

Re: BDS arms stripping out, are they drilling/tapping the DOM itself or is it an insert? I've had arms that were directly drilled/tapped strip out a few times, but I've never had an insert have issues other than having to chase threads from crap getting into them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Radius arms are nothing but a different style of colloquially-named "long arm" suspension setups. So are 3-links, so are 4-links, triangulated or not. Different advantages/disadvantages, different flavors, etc. What most Jeep people see as a radius arm isn't a true point-to-point radius arm anyway, but that's semantics.

wow, I'm totally new to all this jeepy stuff and it's so cool of you to school me on all that you know. :daydream:

fiend

Caught the Bug

Re: BDS arms stripping out, are they drilling/tapping the DOM itself or is it an insert? I've had arms that were directly drilled/tapped strip out a few times, but I've never had an insert have issues other than having to chase threads from crap getting into them.

https://youtu.be/Jw36ivnRHRQ

WJCO

Meme King
Regardless of whatever the fuck that dildo up above is or isn't, it's still not a LONG ARM if it uses the OEM lower mounts. Looking at the manufacturer's website, it re-uses the OEM mounts. So it's likely a glorified short arm that looks different enough to make people want to spend money on it.

Last edited:

Five-N9ne

regardless of whatever the fuck that dildo up above is or isn't, it's still not a long arm if it uses the oem lower mounts. Looking at the manufacturer's website, it re-uses the oem mounts. So it's likely a glorified short arm that looks different enough to make people want to spend money on it.

But it's so shiny... it must be good then.

Top Bottom