Good Bye AEV...Hello EVO!

FoxC

I also have an AEV lift and would like to move towards getting the control arms. Would I be able to just get the lower control arms and remove the drop brackets? I have the AEV 4.5" lift that came with a draglink flip kit and track bar relocation bracket. Because of this I think that completely going to the Enforcer would be a waste of money when I could just get the lower front control arms and get rid of the drop brackets.
I considered going this route as well, but ended up wanting more lift also. Drop the brackets and get some lower adjustable arms with johnny joints...EVO, Currie or Synergy. The EVO and Synergy arms will give you on vehicle adjusters that make it really simple to dial your caster back in.

WillMooseJaw

Yes you can get the lower arms and remove the drop brackets. I run the AEV kit with a full set of Rock Krawler arms with no trouble.

I did not notice that much of a difference after removing the drop brackets. You feel a little bit more of the road. But after a couple weeks of driving I don't even notice it any more.

Did you get more flex with removing the stock arms?

FoxC

definately. The Evo coils are not progressive like the aev coils so this has contributed as well. Progressive coils are great if you carry a heavy load, but they will also limit your flex to a degree. But, good lower control arms will definately offer more articulation over stock arms and bushings.

RockBoss

No your flex is determined by the shock length and your bump stops. The arms gave me smother articulation and I'm not eating up the control arm bushings anymore. The stock arms are fine for stuff like fire roads or couple times a year wheelers. But I wheel every month so the constant twisting of the bushing kept making them rip.

RockBoss

definately. The Evo coils are not progressive like the aev coils so this has contributed as well. Progressive coils are great if you carry a heavy load, but they will also limit your flex to a degree. But, good lower control arms will definately offer more articulation over stock arms and bushings.

This is not entirely true. My Aev coils flex till the shock maxes out every time. You did go from the 2.5 lift with shorter shocks to the Evo 4 with a lot longer shocks that is why you get more flex now.

FoxC

This is not entirely true. My Aev coils flex till the shock maxes out every time. You did go from the 2.5 lift with shorter shocks to the Evo 4 with a lot longer shocks that is why you get more flex now.
If you were to use longer travel shocks and less bump stop on your progressive coils I guarantee your coils will be a limiting factor. The same goes for comparing a johnny type joint to a stock bushing.

RockBoss

If you were to use longer travel shocks on your progressive coils I guarantee your coils will be a limiting factor. The same goes for comparing a johnny type joint to a stock bushing.

No the coil would just become loose in the mount. I do agree that you get smoother flex out of a joint than the stock bushing and a lot long life span. I destroyed two new lower control arms bushing in one run on the Dusy. We ran it hard in two days both bushings were trashed. Did the same run the rock krawler arms plus many more trails and they are fine.

Edit: Also the AEV drop brakets bent to hell and got caught on a lot of rocks.

Last edited:

FoxC

No the coil would just become loose in the mount. I do agree that you get smoother flex out of a joint than the stock bushing and a lot long life span. I destroyed two new lower control arms bushing in one run on the Dusy. We ran it hard in two days both bushings were trashed. Did the same run the rock krawler arms plus many more trails and they are fine.
I agree with the coil coming out of the mount with too much droop. But a progressive coils affects the compression. More winds to a coil, ie a progressive coil, the less compression possible out of the same length coil. This is why a progressive coil carries a load better.

Last edited:

RockBoss

I agree with the coil coming out of the mount with too much droop. But a progressive coils affects the compression. More winds to a coil, ie a progressive coil, the less compression possible.

Yes you’re right but for the 3" bump I run and most with the draglink flip the coils compress all the way. It would be nice to run less bump and more shock but that means custom and $$$$ :beer:

FoxC

Yes you’re right but for the 3" bump I run and most with the draglink flip the coils compress all the way. It would be nice to run less bump and more shock but that means custom and $$$$ :beer:

That it does...:beer:

Skirmish

I decided this thread needs more pics. We ran Devils Peak today and did stuff like this. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086045.384489.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086057.327656.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086068.232554.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086079.174838.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086090.443691.jpg
I was there too. ;)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361086116.544546.jpg

FoxC

Thanks for the pics Keith! And thanks for the spotting as always!:thumb: Thats whats great about this area, awsome trails around every corner. Copper Cache last weekend and Devils Peak on Saturday. Its time for a return out to Logandale maybe...:brows:

FoxC

The weather is getting awesome here so I thought I would switch over to some "summer fashion" and threw on some half doors. I intended to paint them but I'm kinda liking the black.:brows:
IMG_2715 (640x427).jpg

Top Bottom