Hard Top removal

Sessoms14X

This is weird, I just happened to take my hard top off the other day and I told my wife that when I turn up the sound it doesn't seem as loud. I usually listen to it with the volume between 20-25 and it seemed a lot lower.

scull20

I ordered my 2014 with a hard top only and then bought a soft top separately and put it on a few weeks ago. I put the jumper in today on the connector in the back and definitely noticed a change in volume level.

Wardell

So here is a question, Those of us with the factory soft tops are our radios turned down with this wiring all the time?:idontknow:

Wondering the same thing since mine came from the factory with soft top too.

If your Jeep came from the factory without a hard top, it won't have the wiring harness installed either. I don't know if that means your radio is permanently turned down (only way I can think of to check is to play your radio beside someone with a hard top set at the same volume level and compare), but if it is you won't be able to do the bypass that DA RUNT shows in his pictures.

I don't see this as a major issue as long as you can still turn the volume up loud enough to what you want to hear, but it's still useful to be aware of. Another question, does this affect all head units the same way? (I'm guessing it does.)

Jeeplife101

If your Jeep came from the factory without a hard top, it won't have the wiring harness installed either. I don't know if that means your radio is permanently turned down (only way I can think of to check is to play your radio beside someone with a hard top set at the same volume level and compare), but if it is you won't be able to do the bypass that DA RUNT shows in his pictures.

I don't see this as a major issue as long as you can still turn the volume up loud enough to what you want to hear, but it's still useful to be aware of. Another question, does this affect all head units the same way? (I'm guessing it does.)

Thanks, that pretty much summed it up for me. mine gets plenty loud, it must only be affected if the wiring harness is installed.

n3tfury

It's probably for a couple of reasons (and yes, volume is cut when you unplug the harness). As mentioned before, it's more than likely a regulatory thing as well as a precaution so you don't blow your speakers by introducing distortion.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Because I'm a fucking nerd and tech guy, I just bought a db meter so I can put this thread to the test. Stay tuned, pun intended, for some verified results soon.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Because I'm a fucking nerd and tech guy, I just bought a db meter so I can put this thread to the test. Stay tuned, pun intended, for some verified results soon.

Please do. I've been trying to get with my buddy who has a meter to test it also. I don't hear a difference in mine. And I am deaf, least the wife says so. Anybody else that has listened to mine says they can't tell a difference either.

t8er

It'll be quieter anyways because a hard top will reflect sound waves better where a soft top will absorb them and with no top there's nothing to bounce off of. Just my 2 cents as to why its quieter.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Please do. I've been trying to get with my buddy who has a meter to test it also. I don't hear a difference in mine. And I am deaf, least the wife says so. Anybody else that has listened to mine says they can't tell a difference either.

Hopefully I can get some locals to come over with some varying year models and we can also see if there's a difference between my new 2015 system and an older 2007-2014 system.

boardsurfer

Bring your meter to the meetup. May have an assortment of different years to test there.

wcarlson40

If there really is a difference, I'm assuming it's a glitch/electrical mistake. Otherwise, what is supposed to happen when you take the front panels of the hard top off? Or (as already mentioned) what about those with a soft top?

mackey

Ok I had no idea. So what is the little black wire people are using to "jam the plug" and fix this issue. Where do I buy one?

Big b

Did this while the radio was on and it most definitely makes a difference in volume. Not sure if that's all it affects or not. Sounds like you could just crank the volume.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430163690.264179.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just played around with a jumper. It wasn't a great connection, but I heard no discernible difference. Waiting until I see some controlled tests with the meter before I put any more effort into this.

Top Bottom