Hard Top removal

JAGS

Hooked
Would this also affect the Bluetooth u connect volume? That might be a positive to all this. But higher, distorted sound doesn't necessarily mean better.

How's the sound quality with the jumper?

sapco76

Would this also affect the Bluetooth u connect volume? That might be a positive to all this. But higher, distorted sound doesn't necessarily mean better.

Sounds quality is still the same.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

I already have to turn the Bluetooth volume up to 30 with the top on, I hope it isn't quieter with the top off :shock: Of course I usually just ignore my calls when the top is off because I get tired of hearing..."WHAT, HELLO, WHAT!!!"

n3tfury

Because I'm a fucking nerd and tech guy, I just bought a db meter so I can put this thread to the test. Stay tuned, pun intended, for some verified results soon.

I don't think you're going to see anything different with a db meter. It would take twice the power output +\- to notice even a 2db +\- in volume output. But, if your'e going to do it, do it in a garage with the garage door closed and with test tones, not music.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I don't think you're going to see anything different with a db meter. It would take twice the power output +\- to notice even a 2db +\- in volume output. But, if your'e going to do it, do it in a garage with the garage door closed and with test tones, not music.

Maybe, maybe not, that's what we're going to find out...no?

TomJK

Well I just tried a little experiment whereby I left the stereo on, and unplugged the connector. An interesting thing happened, about a half second after unplugging it, the sound went dead for a second or two. When it came back, I couldn't tell for sure if there was a change in volume, but maybe. The same thing happened when I plugged it back in. Anyway, the sound cutting out is odd, since I've never experienced that when I unplug my door connectors, and i frequently have the stereo on, then. This phenomenon might lend some cred to there being some programing to adjust the volume when that plug is out/in.

KICKROX

Well I just tried a little experiment whereby I left the stereo on, and unplugged the connector. An interesting thing happened, about a half second after unplugging it, the sound went dead for a second or two. When it came back, I couldn't tell for sure if there was a change in volume, but maybe. The same thing happened when I plugged it back in. Anyway, the sound cutting out is odd, since I've never experienced that when I unplug my door connectors, and i frequently have the stereo on, then. This phenomenon might lend some cred to there being some programing to adjust the volume when that plug is out/in.

Ok, so I came across this thread and it got my curiosity peaked so I conducted my own experiment with my 2015 Jeep JK Rubicon Hard Rock. Now the Hard Rock version comes with the 9 Speaker Alpine System with the Sub in the rear floor of the vehicle. So I parked my Jeep in the garage so I could trap the sound if you will. I turned up my sound level to 35 then unplugged the adapter and the same thing happened. It cut out for a quick second and when it came back I noticed more power was directed to the subwoofer form the rest of the speaker system which caused the rest of the speakers to tone down just a bit. I'm assuming more power is being directed to the sub due to the fact that the engineers at Jeep were thinking that more bass would be needed to make up for the top being off to maintain the same or close to the same base level when it is on. I'm sure it was more noticeable with this system than with the stock system because of the amp it comes with but there you go. My 2 cents. Oh, and I think it sounded just as good so I don't think I need to loop the connector when the top is off.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
So some interesting results to report... With the jumper in:

Without:

My test harness:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431049310.824010.jpg

My sound meter:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1431049336.714874.jpg

So basically I'm finding the exact opposite. With the jumper is in the volume is lower. When you remove the jumper (or top) it's higher.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Also it should be noticed there was an audible click when the jumper was removed as if the relay was toning it up.

I'm going to try this experiment again with some other JKs and will let you know if the resulit changes.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
So the weather ended up being pretty shitty for our meetup and so hanging outside wasn't really an option. (We ended up getting a foot of snow that day)

Therefore I wasn't able to test this out in any one else's JK, but we can definitely do it another time. It also should be noted that I was working on my hardtop hoist yesterday in the garage and just unplugging the top there was a noticeable difference in the volume. I sat there and plugged/unplugged while listening to the radio and you could hear the volume got louder when unplugged. I'm not sure why the theory was that it was lower, but it definitely is not.....at least on my JK.

Yep, but yes you are right, the radio isn't as loud when you unplug the connector.
Not sure where you got this from, but in my test it's wrong.

t8er

So the weather ended up being pretty shitty for our meetup and so hanging outside wasn't really an option. (We ended up getting a foot of snow that day)

Therefore I wasn't able to test this out in any one else's JK, but we can definitely do it another time. It also should be noted that I was working on my hardtop hoist yesterday in the garage and just unplugging the top there was a noticeable difference in the volume. I sat there and plugged/unplugged while listening to the radio and you could hear the volume got louder when unplugged. I'm not sure why the theory was that it was lower, but it definitely is not.....at least on my JK.

Not sure where you got this from, but in my test it's wrong.

I've got a soft top on mine if you want to test. I've got a 2014 with the subwoofer

RyanAZ

Mines an 08. I'll check it when I get home. Don't have a meter but I'll let you know what I hear.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I think we really need to test on the 07-11 generation.

The 08 I had was the same to me as my 14. When you unplugged the connector, the radio shut off and came back on but I couldn't tell a difference in sound. Neither could anybody else that looked at it.

Rccrwlr

The 08 I had was the same to me as my 14. When you unplugged the connector, the radio shut off and came back on but I couldn't tell a difference in sound. Neither could anybody else that looked at it.

This was the same when we tested on our 08'

RyanAZ

Just tested my 08. Can't tell a difference. Tried one of the door connectors as well and seems the same.

Top Bottom