Hard Top removal

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Just tested my 08. Can't tell a difference. Tried one of the door connectors as well and seems the same.

If the top was off it probably would be impossible to tell. I did all the testing with the hardtop on so it was easy to hear a difference.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Just get a JL Audio Cleansweep and be done.
Don't what to insult anyone, but you guys are chasing ghosts here

Literally has nothing to do with what we're talking about. the Cleansweep is for an entirely different purpose...we're mostly looking at how the factory system compensates for the hard top, not about the overall quality.

choosingtangent

I think the folks are "literally" fooling themselves regarding sound quality. I challenge anyone to distinguish a couple of dB difference. The u connect is the only one that has speed compensation and it can be turned off. The radio going g on and off when unplugging may have something to do with the interruption in the CAN bus... who knows.

LasVegasJK

Seems as though the stereo should sound different with the top off. Without the hardtop, the acoustics will be different. Similar to having your television volume set at 25 in your house will seem loud, the same setting on same TV would sound quieter outside setting on the picnic table.

JohnnyD

I did this mod in my quiet garage and there's definitely a difference.

With the hardtop off, soft top on, all windows and doors closed...helper in back seat enabling and disabling mod - I heard...all things being equal IE didn't touch volume control or mess with any fade or tonal controls...

Enabled - meaning pins grounded ...there was less bass from the sub and the output from the sound bar dropped, I measured a 2db drop at the sound bar with iPhone sound meter(prolly not the best)

Disabled - meaning pins not grounded - again about a 2db bump in the sound bar output and stronger sub bass

I thought this opposite of what was supposed to happen...either way I absolutely noticed a difference and will not be grounding the pins ...

2014 with non nav uconnect

Nosos

Quick link to an Alpine developer talking about the "re-equalization" of the audio when the wiper harness is unplugged, works because the Alpine amp is on CAN-Bus. starts @ 15:08.

Great information on the whole Alpine premium audio package available for 2015+ Wrangler if you watch the entire video. I opted to get this package with my new Rubicon, after she listened to it I now have to install this system (somehow) in my wife's 2014 Sahara. It's that much better.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Quick link to an Alpine developer talking about the "re-equalization" of the audio when the wiper harness is unplugged, works because the Alpine amp is on CAN-Bus. starts @ 15:08.

Great information on the whole Alpine premium audio package available for 2015+ Wrangler if you watch the entire video. I opted to get this package with my new Rubicon, after she listened to it I now have to install this system (somehow) in my wife's 2014 Sahara. It's that much better.

Best contribution to this thread so far! NICE find! I have a 2015 hard rock and have this system so I found it very interesting.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I did this mod in my quiet garage and there's definitely a difference.

With the hardtop off, soft top on, all windows and doors closed...helper in back seat enabling and disabling mod - I heard...all things being equal IE didn't touch volume control or mess with any fade or tonal controls...

Enabled - meaning pins grounded ...there was less bass from the sub and the output from the sound bar dropped, I measured a 2db drop at the sound bar with iPhone sound meter(prolly not the best)

Disabled - meaning pins not grounded - again about a 2db bump in the sound bar output and stronger sub bass

I thought this opposite of what was supposed to happen...either way I absolutely noticed a difference and will not be grounding the pins ...

2014 with non nav uconnect

This is exactly what i showed...and you're right, it's exactly opposite of what was reported. I think the initial report was just wrong..or someone got confused. I believe, and the video seems to back this up, that the unplugging and/or speed of the vehicle boosts the volume to compensate for the ambient noise. That's what we're seeing, but not what was reported.

JohnnyD

So I think that:

1) 2db is absolutely noticeable as by the books every 3db +\- is a halving or doubling of output

2) the output is boosted for compensation of the soft top (this makes sense)

I have installed some dynamat and some braces (1/2" wood) in the sound bar cavities and the sub cavity and this does dampen things a bit...less boomy more dynamic

I have thought on replacing the alpine drivers with some infinity reference drivers...the infinities have performed well for me in past and their sensitivity is very high (93db) meaning louder with less power, and they tend not to distort at higher volumes....a direct replacement for sub is more difficult...a high sensitivity sub with dual voice coils that is designed for the limited space provided is hard to come by...but this is a different discussion...I digress

Top Bottom