Hate light bar wind noise?

whytiptoe

Oh, I hope you know I'm not talking about you here and apologize for going off on a tangent. Just got caught up in the discussion and as you know, it can be easy to forget what the original topic was :crazyeyes:

Oh not even close, just agreeing with what you are saying. Sad thing is there are many people with light bars that are stupid and really don’t understand when to and when to not use them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to put a positive note on light bars, they absolutely ROCK when bombing across the desert at night. That's about the only time I sometimes wish I had one.

whytiptoe

When do you "need" a light bar?

And let's not open the whole high lift jack debate for now, shall we?

When do you need a locker? You need it when you need it. If you never put yourself in that position and I may never as well, but I’m the type of person that I always want to be prepared.

To me it’s similar as why do you buy a winch or recovery gear, you do it to be prepared to take care of yourself or possibly someone else.

And in the high lift, that thing should be the LAST resort to a recovery, but again I like to be prepared.

I have my wife, but the most important person I have with me is my 2 year old son Ryder. He loves to go off road and demands most everyday for me to take the jeep in the dirt.

Last edited:

whytiptoe

Just to put a positive note on light bars, they absolutely ROCK when bombing across the desert at night. That's about the only time I sometimes wish I had one.

Oh I unfortunately can only image, but so want to do ride and possibly build my own trophy truck one day when I win the lottery.

Brute

Hooked
It seems the only time I use aux lighting is to see deer at night on a rural road...and I make sure to turn them off when I see approaching vehicles...

I've also been able to drastically reduce the noise by tilting them up slightly...I keep a small 1/4" ratchet & socket in the center console just for that

JeepJeep75

I did a night run, just the wife I, over Engineer Pass from Ouray into Silverton. It’s a trail we know very well. I found that just my TruckLites with the JW fogs were adequate for lighting up the trail. I think if I do need any more light, it would be cubes on my front bumper pointing at a 45 off to the side. I’m not gonna lie though, if I had a giant light bar, I would’ve used it to see all the deer on the 550 highway back from Silverton to Ouray. [emoji15]

I wouldn't really know anything about wheeling at night as I'm always good about getting everyone of the trail before sundown :cheesy:

Oh shots fired!

When do you "need" a light bar?

Country roads + deer.

Lighting up a job site.

Night runs in the forest.

Setting up camp before the fires going

And one time I used it wheeling when I got a late night call to recover some friends in the woods

WJCO

Meme King
I love the look of my light bar but can honestly say that I've only used it about 5 times for setting up camp and coming down the canyons looking for wildlife. Totally a poser thing but I'm still going to keep it.

I use my 20 out in the pasture looking for new calves and when using the back roads here in Florida through the swamps. I want more light for both but i'm saving for my lift and winch ahead of that.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

You have to see to go fast. Wouldn’t know in my jeep, but we use to race bikes at night, your only as fast as your light.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
i will be the first to admit that I love the way they look on a JK, and I have personally used mine on trails after getting caught on some after dark. I would never use them on a public street or if there was someone in front of me on a trail.

Chad

You know, I haven't seen this up in my neck of the woods but when I was down in the Vegas area last week, I saw this more than once. As if the desert sun shinning brightly isn't enough light to get you across town :rolleyes2:

I'm seeing this more and more where I live. These assholes feel the need to turn the light bar on their roof or bumper on when driving to work at 6am, blinding the shit out of other drivers. These dickweeds are the reason that eventually, all of the light bars are going to have to be covered.

Blackhawkip

I had to chime in on the light bar conversation. Everyone builds their jeep for their own purpose and mine was built specifically for hunting in Idaho/Colorado every fall/winter. We hunt between 7000-9500' and typically are on logging and forest service roads starting at 4am. Back in the day we used to run KC highlights and handheld spotlights (yes I am dating myself to the early 80s). The LED lights are awesome and have changed night to day and reduced risk and increased safety. Getting in and out, setting up camp, and being able to really see what's ahead makes them invaluable.

Regarding the whistle; I took a 60" piece of aluminum door molding you buy at Home Depot and used 3M Velcro to attach it to the bottom of my 50" Rigid light bar. The whistling is caused by the air that goes across the cooling fins on the bottom of the light bar as it meets the air coming up from the windshield. By adding the 2" aluminum strip with the angled portion pointing down, it prevents the wind from going directly over the bottom fins therefore eliminating the whistle. The airflow over the top and rear of the light bar provides more than sufficient cooling and it removed 99% of the whistle. It really works well and have had it on my JK for 3 years now.

IMG_1954.jpg

gregolso

I had to chime in on the light bar conversation. Everyone builds their jeep for their own purpose and mine was built specifically for hunting in Idaho/Colorado every fall/winter. We hunt between 7000-9500' and typically are on logging and forest service roads starting at 4am. Back in the day we used to run KC highlights and handheld spotlights (yes I am dating myself to the early 80s). The LED lights are awesome and have changed night to day and reduced risk and increased safety. Getting in and out, setting up camp, and being able to really see what's ahead makes them invaluable.

Regarding the whistle; I took a 60" piece of aluminum door molding you buy at Home Depot and used 3M Velcro to attach it to the bottom of my 50" Rigid light bar. The whistling is caused by the air that goes across the cooling fins on the bottom of the light bar as it meets the air coming up from the windshield. By adding the 2" aluminum strip with the angled portion pointing down, it prevents the wind from going directly over the bottom fins therefore eliminating the whistle. The airflow over the top and rear of the light bar provides more than sufficient cooling and it removed 99% of the whistle. It really works well and have had it on my JK for 3 years now.

View attachment 279602

Just fyi, if you call Rigid they will send you the kit they made to kill the whistling noise for free. It looks like a clip that goes over the fins.

stoneman

I finally like mine after fixing

Are you tired of you light bar always make a ton of noise, and the real reason you bought it was to actually use it. Well when not in use take the thing off and store it in the back. You ask your self, “how could you ever do that?”. Well here is the answer....

View attachment 278915 View attachment 278916 View attachment 278917 View attachment 278918

You ask yourself, “what do you do when it’s off?”. Well you buy an extra end and make it a plug.
View attachment 278919

I couldn't stand the noise either and watched several video attempts to quieten it and none seamed to be appropriate for me and finally i came up with a solution that worked great and now i have clear light and no more noise.
I took a thin sheet of aluminum strip and rolled it around a 2" pipe to form a "C" and painted it black and attached it to the back side of the bar over the fins and fastened it with aluminum pop rivets to the fins and now it is aerodynamic and the whistle is no more.. If anyone is interested in it i actually posted a video on youtube that shows mine. I posted it in hopes it might help fellow jeepers.

Top Bottom