Hi-Lift mounting?

bman198

Just out of curiosity, I know that the main places to put your Hi-Lift are either on your rear bumper or across the base of your windshield and hood. Anyone have one preference over the other and a reason for it? Trying to choose which way to go. Thanks!

NV375

Hood likely to interfere with the washer spray for the windshield and could be awkward remove for use and stow afterwards. I have been out with people running hood mounted jacks older jeeps but not owned one myself. I have used and owned front bumper mounted, rear bumper mounted, clamped to rollbar (sport bar) and roof rack mounted. No location is perfect but, I'm thinking some form of rear mount is in my future for my current rig.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have mine on the hood with some ACE Engineering mounts. With the handle facing the front of the jeep it does block the spray nozzle some but not enough to matter in my opinion. Mine seemed to spray at the top of the windshield and over the jeep before I put the jack there. So anything it seemed to help. I have not had to use it yet so as far as getting it off of the hood I'm not sure. I mounted it and it has been there ever since. I am not a fan of mounting them on the bumper based on the simple fact that you can't see it while driving. I bought a YJ that had one on the front bumper and I got in the habit of always checking the tightness of the bolts that held it on. Mine could still fall off of the hood but I should see it getting loose before it falls or should see it fall off and be able to go back and get it. I still make it a habit to check it every time before driving just to make sure.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have also seen people mount them inside the cab inbetween the roll bars. it keeps it out of the elements

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of all the setups I've seen, I would go with one of these...

RAM86612-Rampage-Jeep-Jack-Mount-Kit.jpg

The one shown above is made by Rampage but I believe that Rugged Ridge makes one too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396884477.624318.jpg
I have one of the models wayalife mentioned. It works great, easy install and holds the jack great. The only thing is the jack itself rattles and is very noisy.

Sent while sitting on the crapper!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of the models wayalife mentioned. It works great, easy install and holds the jack great. The only thing is the jack itself rattles and is very noisy.

Do you have a Hi-Lift Jack isolator? If not, get one, it helps a lot. Add a Velcro strap and it'll help even more.

Of course, I don't typically carry a Hi-Lift anymore and that really helps with the rattle :D

Do you have a Hi-Lift Jack isolator? If not, get one, it helps a lot. Add a Velcro strap and it'll help even more.

Of course, I don't typically carry a Hi-Lift anymore and that really helps with the rattle :D

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396885632.529404.jpg
I have this one. I'll try the Velcro strap. Thanks. Sorry for the highjack( hahahaha) OP.

Rusty

I've posted this picture before when I had finished my tire carrier, but I've had my highlift mounted there since I bought my 60". It fits with both soft and hard tops.

The highlift itself is mounted to the roll bar using the Highlift pipe brackets.

tire2_zpsfac9ac61.jpg

Moochie

Aha, I see, thanx

I have a Hi-Lift in my garage, I've never brought it along. If I ever went out by myself I probably would. Somebody on our runs always seems to have one. Rarely, if ever used but, they can be very useful in certain situations.

Last edited:

nem

View attachment 77648

I also have this mount it has been on my jeep for 3 years. I have been very happy with it and it has held up to all the road salt here better than my actual jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

Out of curiosity, what do you carry in place of the hi-lift?

As mentioned by Moochie, I carry a big bottle Jack, a 6-ton to be exact. I used to carry a 12-ton but found it to be too big. Hi-Lifts can be great tool for certain applications but, more times than not, I just see guys use them to try and change a flat - something they are terrible at and dangerous to do. More times than not, I have found that I can get more done and done more safely with a bottle jack.

Top Bottom