Hood fluter

Millerj87

When you remove the factory air dam valance under neath you will get hood flutter

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have removed the factory dam and still have the factory hood straps, no hood flutter for me (knock on wood) as of now. but if i ever do get it i think i will get the drakes. they are sweet looking

Idaho 51

I refuse to run aftermarket hood latches, I am a fan of the flutter. Makes me feel like an astronaut. It gives me the feeling that I'm breaking through the sound barrier. I'm pretty sure this pilot and I share the same kind of experience - my jeep reaching "hood flutter" speeds, him punching through the sound barrier. Same....exact....feeling.....that is a fact, it's in the Geneva convention

View attachment 50975

He is right. I'm keeping the originals.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anyone have pics of drakes with Bushwhacker flat fenders?

look at Hinrichs build thread. he has drakes and bushwackers. not sure if there is a pic but i can tell you it looks good from seeing it in person many times

14ERZ

Hood Flutter

When you remove the factory air dam valance under neath you will get hood flutter

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Or when you drive over the Howard Frankland Bridge at 70 miles per hour into the wind. Scared the hell out of me and Flutter wasn't exactly what I uttered at the moment.:crazyeyes:

pvanweelden

Just remove the spring under the hood, no need to waste any money on 'better' latches

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Just remove the spring under the hood, no need to waste any money on 'better' latches

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Would have said you're full of it, till I pulled the hood spring on mine. No more issues.

Now I have seen the rubber "bands" snap from wear. Happened on Rubicat. That is another issue to keep an eye on.

- Jason

jeeeep

Hooked
IMO I'd do the zip tie before removing the spring, the purpose of the spring is to keep the hood latch in contact position if the side latches break or you forget to hook them back up. Without the spring you risk the chance of the hood breaking loose and not catching if it lifts just so. How do I know?... I forgot to latch the hood after an oil check, the hood caught air and had a nice crease side to side - and it sucks not being able to see! :icon_crazy:

New hood + spring + RR latches

munstie

IMO I'd do the zip tie before removing the spring, the purpose of the spring is to keep the hood latch in contact position if the side latches break or you forget to hook them back up. Without the spring you risk the chance of the hood breaking loose and not catching if it lifts just so. How do I know?... I forgot to latch the hood after an oil check, the hood caught air and had a nice crease side to side - and it sucks not being able to see! :icon_crazy:

^^^This is exactly why I haven't removed my spring was worried about this happening..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

Was your safety latch also not latched? I tried like hell yesterday to get my hood to open with the safety latch still engaged, and it wouldn't. The spring's main purpose is to prop the hood up, after the outside latches are opened, to allow enough room to get your hand in to undo the safety latch. The safety latch itself has a spring on it, to keep the latch secured until pressure is placed on the release lever.

I will be watching the rubber latches however. The ones on my TJ have lasted fine since 97, but the JK ones seem more stretchy.

Top Bottom