Hood vents, Louvers, Scoops, etc - Engine Bay Heat Issues

HDGasser

i would be very careful doing this, since the mat would probably soak up extra moisture that comes in throgh the vent and turn into a nasty spong quick. I am probably wrong but I feel it would be likely to happen.

Yeah, trash the mat. After a couple times putting it on and off it will fall apart. Add a little water to it and it'll probably fall apart for you under the hood un expectedly.

A little water on your engine isn't gonna hurt anything.

RedFox

Yea, rain hasn't stopped those of us with vented hoods whether it be an aftermarket hood or cut up stock hood with louvers attached. I trashed mine but do as you please. I've driven in rain and never hydro locked or was even worried about it for that matter. And I'm just not convinced that sound deadener at the top of the hood prevents noise entering the tub which is next to, not on top of, my hood. It simply makes your engine "less noisy" to people outside of your jeep which to that I say "I don't want them to know I have a puny v-6!" Lol I love the sound of a loud engine, vroom :)

Yeah, trash the mat. After a couple times putting it on and off it will fall apart. Add a little water to it and it'll probably fall apart for you under the hood un expectedly.

A little water on your engine isn't gonna hurt anything.

I wasn't actually concerned about the water... More for trying to keep the heat in in the winter. Here in OH I get both extremes. A few weeks near 100 in the summer and a few weeks near 10 in the winter.

RedFox

I wasn't actually concerned about the water... More for trying to keep the heat in in the winter. Here in OH I get both extremes. A few weeks near 100 in the summer and a few weeks near 10 in the winter.

Ahh, I see. Then your concerns are indeed warranted my friend. Then yes, I agree with you on trying to keep the heat inside the engine compartment instead of having it escape to reach proper oil viscosity

HDGasser

Ahhh I see...I'm in SoCal, cold here is 50*. :bleh:

I still don't think the mat will do much difference. like stated above its more for sound deadening than anything, just be gentle when your taking it on and off.

Ahh, I see. Then your concerns are indeed warranted my friend. Then yes, I agree with you on trying to keep the heat inside the engine compartment instead of having it escape to reach proper oil viscosity

Yup! :thumb:

Ahhh I see...I'm in SoCal, cold here is 50*. :bleh:

I still don't think the mat will do much difference. like stated above its more for sound deadening than anything, just be gentle when your taking it on and off.

First, "That's what she said" (Sorry I had to) :cheesy:

Even if the stock mat doesn't work out I may make something up just to make me feel better. While I haven't needed to worry about it in any of my newer vehicles I used to cover half the radiator on my cars in the winter to keep them running better and making enough heat to keep me warm. This said, our winters haven't been as bad the last few years either.

I know, I know You guys have better trails and weather... But at least my State doesn't send me IOUs for tax refunds. (I have to justify my lame state somehow :D)

Last edited:

Hawaii 5-0

No. Just don't go out there and drive your jeep like a submarine without a properly sealed intake and snorkel. The abundance of rain and car washes hasn't stopped the many people that have come before us and had vented hoods. I'm talking years before us! Think muscle cars with big hot engines and vented hoods. Like I said before though, don't get too crazy while water fording and go in deeper than you should with even a stock hood. Besides, the stock hood already has an opening in top near where the louvers would go. Look at the panel where your wipers are attached. There's an opening right there and that hasn't hydro locked you soo louvers is fine

Noooo plans on going submarining. I'm well aware of the level of my air intake when crossing streams. Just curious about vented hoods. Learning a lot. Thanks.

GuillaumeC91

Just got my Sport a few months ago and I live in Canada... no mat under the hood. I think its really just a sound thing.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

pastorwug

Ordered a PS louver plate for the hood.
Will be cutting up the hood after I get it color matched to my JKU (thanks Moochie!)

I'll post pictures when it's done.

Moochie

Ordered a PS louver plate for the hood.
Will be cutting up the hood after I get it color matched to my JKU (thanks Moochie!)

I'll post pictures when it's done.

I waited till I had all my bolt holes drilled through the hood before I had the bare aluminum painted. You use the louver as a template when you drill these holes. I was worried that the paint would be damaged, if painted first. It takes more time with the hood off to do it this way and if you have to drive your Jeep everyday, it might not be possible.

Macman1138

I have the Synergy Suspension kit and i bought it strictly for looks...it was scary cutting a large hole in my hood..but looks sweet! Ill snap some pics later.
http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-07-12-Jeep-JK-Louvered-Hood-Panel-p-29876.html
sent from the john.

It is my opinion that this whole deal with the vented and scooped hoods is mostly for looks. I say this because I can't think of any problem caused to anything in the engine compartment by NOT having a vented/scooped hood.

They look cool though. These fake vents/scoops look ghetto.

RedFox

It is my opinion that this whole deal with the vented and scooped hoods is mostly for looks. I say this because I can't think of any problem caused to anything in the engine compartment by NOT having a vented/scooped hood.

They look cool though. These fake vents/scoops look ghetto.

Wow, if you can't think of any problems then you're not thinking hard enough buddy. Not only a few posts ago did I post some proof that heat actually escapes the hood with louvers installed, but people all over this forum have posted overheating issues with hemi and LS engine conversions. Now, it is MY opinion that anything that is done in these instances to help cool the engine is CLEARLY not just for looks but to alleviate some of those problems that you can't think of.
The only thing that ticks me off about your post is that you say these "fake vents/scooped hoods look ghetto." News flash pal, some people on this forum actually like them. I'm not into the synergy louvers but if you have to cut into your hood then guess what, they're real! It's only fake when they're paste on. And you may want to spend 1k on a hood like the AEV that you like so much but not everyone wants to spend too much on a hood when they already have one, and I get the same amount of cooling from my psc louver add on for $150 compared to the 1k you'll spend on that AEV hood you like simply for it's looks.
So please, next time you post consider that unless you bring actual facts to the table when denouncing something, you are doing nothing to move the conversation forward.

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
Wow, if you can't think of any problems then you're not thinking hard enough buddy. Not only a few posts ago did I post some proof that heat actually escapes the hood with louvers installed, but people all over this forum have posted overheating issues with hemi and LS engine conversions. Now, it is MY opinion that anything that is done in these instances to help cool the engine is CLEARLY not just for looks but to alleviate some of those problems that you can't think of.
The only thing that ticks me off about your post is that you say these "fake vents/scooped hoods look ghetto." News flash pal, some people on this forum actually like them. I'm not into the synergy louvers but if you have to cut into your hood then guess what, they're real! It's only fake when they're paste on. And you may want to spend 1k on a hood like the AEV that you like so much but not everyone wants to spend too much on a hood when they already have one, and I get the same amount of cooling from my psc louver add on for $150 compared to the 1k you'll spend on that AEV hood you like simply for it's looks.
So please, next time you post consider that unless you bring actual facts to the table when denouncing something, you are doing nothing to move the conversation forward.

Reading his post without anything invested in this conversation, I read it as... He didn't see the need... but they look cool. The FAKE ones look ghetto. Just my opinion on how it read to me.

I understand your frustration, but he is entitled to an opinion. If my interpretation is incorrect; Macman1138 please step in and correct me.

RedFox

Hmm, i guess I read that wrong. Sorry there macman. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

Top Bottom