Hood vents, Louvers, Scoops, etc - Engine Bay Heat Issues

suicideking

Anything I ever saw from AEV was top notch, worth the money.

You get what you pay for.

I disagree with this. The AEV hoods are nice, I'd love to have one, but not for $1K! I was sold on the AEV when I thought they were fiber/plastic. Now that I found out they actually weigh more than the OEM hood, that kind of killed the idea for me.

So the PSC vent is aluminum. That will reduce weight at least, though not by much. I'll agree that they're mostly for looks, but the air flow is an advantage. Paying $30K+ for my Jeep and then another $15K+ on mods, I would like to keep it as cool as possible.

HDGasser

I disagree with this. The AEV hoods are nice, I'd love to have one, but not for $1K! I was sold on the AEV when I thought they were fiber/plastic. Now that I found out they actually weigh more than the OEM hood, that kind of killed the idea for me.

So the PSC vent is aluminum. That will reduce weight at least, though not by much. I'll agree that they're mostly for looks, but the air flow is an advantage. Paying $30K+ for my Jeep and then another $15K+ on mods, I would like to keep it as cool as possible.

Your really worried about the weight savings of a couple ounces on a 5-6000lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick...?

:thinking:

suicideking

Your really worried about the weight savings of a couple ounces on a 5-6000lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick...?

:thinking:

I would prefer to save weight wherever I can. The vent wouldn't be worth it simply for the savings in weight (which is minimal). However, switching out my hard top for a soft top was a noticeable difference in handling when wheeling. I will also eventually get half or tube doors which will also be significant weight savings.

pastorwug

Sent the PS louvers to my body shop to have painted to match, be ready this Saturday. Excited!

Mods at the speed of Caltrans

Armydog

I like my PS hood louver. Like its looks and it seems to work well. But it ain't hot here yet but I do like how it looks......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400809592.229857.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400809610.662318.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400809633.266396.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400809672.543884.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

fadeout

I'll be odd man out but the louvers don't really do it for me, I preferred the AEV hood.
IMG_20130928_034049_zps81d61b0a.jpg

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I also did the AEV hood. Definitely can see heat escaping from the hood. Great quality and mine was about $1300 painted. BTW for those who say they like the 10a/RubiconX hoods, the vents are not actually functional. That being said, I believe you can make the vents functional with a dremel.

pastorwug

I also did the AEV hood. Definitely can see heat escaping from the hood. Great quality and mine was about $1300 painted. BTW for those who say they like the 10a/RubiconX hoods, the vents are not actually functional. That being said, I believe you can make the vents functional with a dremel.

I hadn't really looked close yet, I just presumed they were functional. That figures!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

xflstl

The TMD hood is a good option as well, its what I went with. However if I was to do it over I most likely go with the psc vents!! They look amazing if installed correctly and are very effective.

Sent from my SCH-I605

13gecko

PSC hood louver here. I bought it mostly because we had a hail storm that only really messed up the center of my hood so this was a cheap easy fix. Want sure at first but I really like the looks of it now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1400856596824.jpg
    1400856596824.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 1400856615072.jpg
    1400856615072.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 212

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Disclaimer....I am not a scientist nor am I an expert in aero/thermo dynamics....this is just information I have read over the years.....

When it comes to modern cars (and I use the word cars to describe vehicles) they are built to withstand the extremes of ALL temps, since they are marketed all over the world and engineering them for specific regions would be too costly...so, they must work in the winter in Norway or the summer in Dubai, in traffic, with the AC running, with black paint. To achieve this, generally speaking, the engine bay is designed using a low pressure system, so when you are moving, cold air (aka ambient air) is forced into the engine bay through the front grill, towards the top of the engine bay, thus, pushing the hot air down, which is then sucked out from underneath under the vehicle as you drive along. I have seen tests done with vented hoods on sports cars, and at speed (unless they were engineered with serious money behind it) the vented hoods would actually disturb the low pressure system, causing more heat to be trapped under the hood.

Now, when we are talking about stationary or very slow movement (ie, running a trail or crawling) then you go back to the basics of hot air rising, and in that case, a vented hood will indeed help you.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Disclaimer....I am not a scientist nor am I an expert in aero/thermo dynamics....this is just information I have read over the years.....

When it comes to modern cars (and I use the word cars to describe vehicles) they are built to withstand the extremes of ALL temps, since they are marketed all over the world and engineering them for specific regions would be too costly...so, they must work in the winter in Norway or the summer in Dubai, in traffic, with the AC running, with black paint. To achieve this, generally speaking, the engine bay is designed using a low pressure system, so when you are moving, cold air (aka ambient air) is forced into the engine bay through the front grill, towards the top of the engine bay, thus, pushing the hot air down, which is then sucked out from underneath under the vehicle as you drive along. I have seen tests done with vented hoods on sports cars, and at speed (unless they were engineered with serious money behind it) the vented hoods would actually disturb the low pressure system, causing more heat to be trapped under the hood.

Now, when we are talking about stationary or very slow movement (ie, running a trail or crawling) then you go back to the basics of hot air rising, and in that case, a vented hood will indeed help you.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've had a couple of extreme high horsepower modern cars with some serious engine modifications that have seen substantial benefit from a vented or louvered hood. Where they would overheat in slow traffic the addition of a lower pressure system behind the radiator was enough to eliminate the problem.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've had a couple of extreme high horsepower modern cars with some serious engine modifications that have seen substantial benefit from a vented or louvered hood. Where they would overheat in slow traffic the addition of a lower pressure system behind the radiator was enough to eliminate the problem.

Well, in all fairness, if you're talking about added power (heat) the OEM system is moot. I guess I was talking about bone stock systems.

Top Bottom