how long has your winch in the $600 range lasted

suicideking

I've made two pulls with mine and it overheated both times. Had to wait a while before I could even bring the line back in.

This is the first negative I've heard of them. If anyone else has had a problem, please post. They're on backorder right now so I can still cancel the order.

Never said that you didn't read good reviews. Like I said, it's just hit and miss with Chinese made winches, or at least, that's what I have seen over the years. And don't kid yourself, they really are all the same thing just with different labels on them. Again, with any luck, you'll have a hit.

Any examples of this? I've looked at a few pictures and haven't found any that look exactly the same as the Engo.

This is the one I ordered, EPF10000S

Attachments

• Engo.jpg
    Engo.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 147

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is the first negative I've heard of them. If anyone else has had a problem, please post. They're on backorder right now so I can still cancel the order.

As Eddie said they may be good but I think they are hot and miss. I know one other person with one and it has worked great every time. But most people I see with them don't look like they leave the driveway very often.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That's because most people either never use their winch or in a way that really puts them to the test.

Any examples of this? I've looked at a few pictures and haven't found any that look exactly the same as the Engo.

This is the one I ordered, EPF10000S

Really? :naw:

First off, just because a winch has a different paint or a solenoid box mounted differently doesn't mean they aren't the same winch. BUT, for your example, here is an Engo...

engo.jpg

And here is another Joe Blo brand...

antal.jpg

They are both made in Zhejiang China, get shipped to Portland, Oregon and depending on how many I order, I can get them in whatever color I want, with a WAYALIFE sticker on it and get it all for as low as $232.49 a piece. In spite of what you want to believe, I have no reason to make this stuff up. Heck, I'm not even saying that what you get will be bad, just that China has poor quality control and that the odds of you getting a bad one will be higher than say if you were to get a made in the USA WARN and I say made in the USA because not all WARN winches are.

David1tontj

I've read through a lot of winch threads and no doubt Warn is king of the hill and also the king of the $$$

trying to decide on the winch investment and I started wondering how long a winch in the $600 or less range really last?

I'd like to know what winch, is it your first winch, about how often is it used and how long have you had it.

:beer:

I bought my Ramsey rep8000 12.5 years ago and have abused the crap out of it. It has been on 4 different rigs, and had probably around 150+ uses and never once let me down. I have had it completely submerged and it never quit. I've done extremely long pulls with it and never had it quit (several occasions of multiple "full pulls" back to back)

When I bought it, I found the cheapest price and then had summit offroad beat the price and give me free shipping. I paid 550 for it new 12.5 years ago.

Ramsey has been making winches in the USA since the 1950s, and mainly focusses on commercial applications which Is why you don't see a ton of them on the trail, but every tow truck I've ever seen has Ramsey winches. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Only things I wish I could change about my Ramsey is the 32 feet per minute line speed seems slow, and I wish I had bought an integrated solenoid type purely for looks. I have 100% confidence in my winch. Not sure how much you can pick one of these up for, but in my opinion it is every bit as good as a USA made warn.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Well, that is the reason why I run a WARN PowerPlant on both my JK's. They are great winches and also provide a great source of high capacity air without having to take up any room inside the Jeep. I can bring my 37x12.50 from about 15psi to 30psi in about a minute and a half per tire.

X2 here. I've always ran Warn. I figure when is the worst time to think "I wish I would have..." It's probably when I'm stuck. Not saying you have to get the power plant but it's a great option for both.

Armydog

I bought my Ramsey rep8000 12.5 years ago and have abused the crap out of it. It has been on 4 different rigs, and had probably around 150+ uses and never once let me down. I have had it completely submerged and it never quit. I've done extremely long pulls with it and never had it quit (several occasions of multiple "full pulls" back to back)

When I bought it, I found the cheapest price and then had summit offroad beat the price and give me free shipping. I paid 550 for it new 12.5 years ago.

Ramsey has been making winches in the USA since the 1950s, and mainly focusses on commercial applications which Is why you don't see a ton of them on the trail, but every tow truck I've ever seen has Ramsey winches. They also have a lifetime warranty.

Only things I wish I could change about my Ramsey is the 32 feet per minute line speed seems slow, and I wish I had bought an integrated solenoid type purely for looks. I have 100% confidence in my winch. Not sure how much you can pick one of these up for, but in my opinion it is every bit as good as a USA made warn.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

So 8000lbs has been enough for you trucks? I've always thought 10 K was needed but my TJ is probably lighter than what you rig weighs, based on the 1ton name... Am I right? Found the Ramsey on Northern Tool, but they seem plentiful- price isn't too bad if the thing last 12 plus years of actual use.

I am really leaning toward the old school upright warn, just for spool capacity and the external break which should mean lower operating temps. Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392640327.166310.jpg

Ramsey Front Mount Winch — 8000-Lb. Capacity, Model# REP 8000
Only $92499
Guaranteed Lowest Prices
QTY

Add to Wish List Item In Wish List Add to Wish List
Factory Shipped —
Estimated Delivery: 7 - 12 Business Days
Calculate Shipping
Not Available in Stores
Extended Warranty Repair Plan — 1 Year Only $99.99

Armydog

So this is the winch I think I want. I don't need the fast line speed for any particular reason, but the large capacity spool and external break seem like it would be ideal for running a lot of synthetic line. Most times I run off road I go alone. No friends and no friends with jeeps.... Except all you guys. I want to run as much line as possible AND keep it cool hence the external break. Opinions please? I have asked this before but really want as much input as possible before pulling the trigger. Tango Yankee

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392641557.209635.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392641557.209635.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392641557.209635.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 104

David1tontj

So this is the winch I think I want. I don't need the fast line speed for any particular reason, but the large capacity spool and external break seem like it would be ideal for running a lot of synthetic line. Most times I run off road I go alone. No friends and no friends with jeeps.... Except all you guys. I want to run as much line as possible AND keep it cool hence the external break. Opinions please? I have asked this before but really want as much input as possible before pulling the trigger. Tango Yankee

View attachment 69636

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
That's because most people either never use their winch or in a way that really puts them to the test.

Really? :naw:

First off, just because a winch has a different paint or a solenoid box mounted differently doesn't mean they aren't the same winch. BUT, for your example, here is an Engo...

View attachment 69631

And here is another Joe Blo brand...

View attachment 69632

They are both made in Zhejiang China, get shipped to Portland, Oregon and depending on how many I order, I can get them in whatever color I want, with a WAYALIFE sticker on it and get it all for as low as $232.49 a piece. In spite of what you want to believe, I have no reason to make this stuff up. Heck, I'm not even saying that what you get will be bad, just that China has poor quality control and that the odds of you getting a bad one will be higher than say if you were to get a made in the USA WARN and I say made in the USA because not all WARN winches are.

HEY! Those look JUST LIKE the SHITTYBILT winch I bought!!! :thinking:

images.ashx.jpeg

After it failed me when I needed it most, I bought a PowerPlant.
IT’S EXPENSIVE TO BE CHEAP!!! :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So 8000lbs has been enough for you trucks? I've always thought 10 K was needed but my TJ is probably lighter than what you rig weighs, based on the 1ton name... Am I right?

Even if you were to go off the double the weight, a TJ is only about 3200 lbs. In other words, an 8000 lb. winch would be more than enough. Having said that, a JK weighs about 5000 lbs. and I can tell you that my 9500 lb. WARN PowerPlant has been more than enough for all my needs and that includes extremely tough vehicle recoveries. As David had mentioned, for times where more is needed, a snatch block will do wonders and should really be used anyway.

Smokinjoe

Yah looks like a smitty built so far mine has not failed, but only had one big pull on it. Maybe was made the day the guy that beats up workers called in sick.

Armydog

Even if you were to go off the double the weight, a TJ is only about 3200 lbs. In other words, an 8000 lb. winch would be more than enough. Having said that, a JK weighs about 5000 lbs. and I can tell you that my 9500 lb. WARN PowerPlant has been more than enough for all my needs and that includes extremely tough vehicle recoveries. As David had mentioned, for times where more is needed, a snatch block will do wonders and should really be used anyway.

Awesome feedback, Tango Yankee!!!! I want the warn but will run the shit out of my XRC until then.... Appreciate the input and experience..... I would have bought too much winch and added too much weight... Would rather have more line and a snatch block than unused pull strength.

Armydog

Somewhere along the line, people started saying you need 2xs your vehicles weight. All growing up I had always heard 1.5xs your vehicles weight. I checked on Ramsey's website and they say 1.5 as well. Even if you were a little too heavy, 99% of the time you will not need the full 8000 pounds of force, and the other 1% of the time you can use a snatch block to turn your 8000 pound winch into a 16000 pound winch. I have been extremely stuck on occasions and never even had to snatch it once! My rig is about 5000 pounds loaded.

As far as the 8274, I was going to get one of those before I got my Ramsey, the only reason I didn't was price. They are truly legendary and I don't think you can go wrong with one! The biggest reason my slow winch pisses me off, is when I am winching myself out and finally get some traction, it won't keep up with my rig. I recently winched side by side to an 8274, he broke a front axle going up the waterfall at Tillamook state forest, so for safety reasons, since I was already on top, I hooked to him, and he hooked to the winch anchor on top of the climb in case his cable was to break. We worked on his rig and got the tire unlocked then we both winched together.... It was embarrassing how much slower mine was. And his 8274 pretty much kept up with his idling rig!

The Ramsey has never let me down, and I truly believe it is a good option, but if I was in your shoes, I would get the 8274 and never worry about the line speed ever again.

Awesome! That's exactly the input I was looking for! I want one.... Gonna run the XRC until it dies and then drop the coin for the 8274. Was this guy running steel or synthetic line? Nice testimonial I appreciate the input. Tango Yankee!

David1tontj

Awesome! That's exactly the input I was looking for! I want one.... Gonna run the XRC until it dies and then drop the coin for the 8274. Was this guy running steel or synthetic line? Nice testimonial I appreciate the input. Tango Yankee!

Synthetic

David1tontj

Oh yeah, an his fj40 is slightly modified, so it's a little bit heavier than stock
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392738559.408299.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i'm thinking of getting the warn vr1000. i know it's not the premium series. but the vr series are still backed by the warn limited lifetime warranty. i'm still not sure what a limited lifetime warranty is..
and still helps Americans with jobs out there. here is a quote from warn.

"Warn Industries has around 500 employees here in the U.S. (offices and manufacturing in Milwaukie and Clackamas, Oregon; an office in Livonia, Michigan). So, I can assure you, you're helping keep American workers employed when you're buying a WARN VR winch. These winches are on our assembly lines right now (in Oregon) being built by American workers.

Yes, some parts of the winch come from other countries, but some don't. I can tell you without a doubt, these winches are not simply purchased from a Chinese factory and slapped with WARN logos. Plus, they're 100% designed and engineered by WARN employees here in Oregon; you get WARN customer service and support by WARN employees here in Oregon, and a limited lifetime warranty. We will stand behind these products 100%."

TheDuff

i'm thinking of getting the warn vr1000. i know it's not the premium series. but the vr series are still backed by the warn limited lifetime warranty. i'm still not sure what a limited lifetime warranty is..
and still helps Americans with jobs out there. here is a quote from warn.

"Warn Industries has around 500 employees here in the U.S. (offices and manufacturing in Milwaukie and Clackamas, Oregon; an office in Livonia, Michigan). So, I can assure you, you're helping keep American workers employed when you're buying a WARN VR winch. These winches are on our assembly lines right now (in Oregon) being built by American workers.

Yes, some parts of the winch come from other countries, but some don't. I can tell you without a doubt, these winches are not simply purchased from a Chinese factory and slapped with WARN logos. Plus, they're 100% designed and engineered by WARN employees here in Oregon; you get WARN customer service and support by WARN employees here in Oregon, and a limited lifetime warranty. We will stand behind these products 100%."

As much as I love buying from an American company with a great warranty, such as warn, I gotta say I haven't been impressed with what I've read about the VR series. It may be engineered here, assembled here and backed by their warranty. but what good is that warranty if the Chinese motor takes a dump on you when your stranded and need it the most? I've read about several failures on this forum alone and really, it's not much cheaper than a true warn. Just my thought process.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom