how long has your winch in the $600 range lasted

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
As much as I love buying from an American company with a great warranty, such as warn, I gotta say I haven't been impressed with what I've read about the VR series. It may be engineered here, assembled here and backed by their warranty. but what good is that warranty if the Chinese motor takes a dump on you when your stranded and need it the most? I've read about several failures on this forum alone and really, it's not much cheaper than a true warn. Just my thought process.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i haven't read of any failures. i guess i need to research more and see if it's worth it to get a premium winch. thanks for the input.:thumb:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I remember when I drove the front of my jeep off a cliff.

My first thought was, thank god I have a warn winch, get that fucker hooked up.

It was never, I hope my winch works.

To me, it can possibly save your life. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when I drove the front of my jeep off a cliff.

My first thought was, thank god I have a warn winch, get that fucker hooked up.

It was never, I hope my winch works.

To me, it can possibly save your life. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks?

:cheesy: Well you know, if you had power steering, you might have been able to get around that big rock. Good thing there was a bush growing out of the ledge to hold you up :crazyeyes:

TheDuff

i haven't read of any failures. i guess i need to research more and see if it's worth it to get a premium winch. thanks for the input.:thumb:

In another winch thread here a guy suffered 2 VR series winch failures.

Found it:
Good call on leaving the VR series winch out of the line-up. My son purchsed the VR10000 and what a piece of garbagenot even a year old and it's been to warranty shop twice. For what is't worth the shittybilt 10000 has not stopped pulling me out yet. Not as quick as some and not as quiet but she will pull when I ask her to.:twocents:

I've seen some others post about failures as well.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Not to derail too much, but any real world feedback on the new Zeon winches from Warn. A little more than $600, but not as much as the powerplants. Anybody using these things yet. With the rebate, you can get a synthetic for at or slightly less than a grand.

TheDuff

Not to derail too much, but any real world feedback on the new Zeon winches from Warn. A little more than $600, but not as much as the powerplants. Anybody using these things yet. With the rebate, you can get a synthetic for at or slightly less than a grand.

I have one, Looks pretty, haven't had to use it for recovery yet though.

suicideking

That's because most people either never use their winch or in a way that really puts them to the test.

Really? :naw:

First off, just because a winch has a different paint or a solenoid box mounted differently doesn't mean they aren't the same winch. BUT, for your example, here is an Engo...

View attachment 69631

And here is another Joe Blo brand...

View attachment 69632

They are both made in Zhejiang China, get shipped to Portland, Oregon and depending on how many I order, I can get them in whatever color I want, with a WAYALIFE sticker on it and get it all for as low as $232.49 a piece. In spite of what you want to believe, I have no reason to make this stuff up. Heck, I'm not even saying that what you get will be bad, just that China has poor quality control and that the odds of you getting a bad one will be higher than say if you were to get a made in the USA WARN and I say made in the USA because not all WARN winches are.

Assuming it makes it to me before March 10th or so, I plan on testing it out. I'm doing the Stoddard Wells area -- Pumpkin Eater, Achy Breaky and some others. For the price I'm paying, if it's bad, I will happily exchange it for another. Hopefully I will get a 'good one'. I'm just not willing to pay $1K for a winch.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The Superwinch X9 is made in CT, has the same if not better warranty as the Xeon/VR series and can be found new for $600. Hard to beat that.

And as a disclaimer, yes I own one of their Tiger Shark winches, but haven't gotten it installed so no personal reviews just yet.

Top Bottom