I’m back! RIPP or not...

TheGrendel

my buddy put a Sprintex on his 3.6. took a couple of stops at the shop to get the tune just right. but, he's had 40K of trouble free miles since and absolutely loves it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it’s just me but I rarely, if ever hear guys who just spent thousands of dollars on something, say they didn’t “absolutely love it”.

What I can tell you is that if you go to a place like Motech, they have a ton of used supercharger lining the floor. I wonder why that is. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Maybe it’s just me but I rarely, if ever hear guys who just spent thousands of dollars on something, say they didn’t “absolutely love it”.

What I can tell you is that if you go to a place like Motech, they have a ton of used supercharger lining the floor. I wonder why that is. [emoji848]

i hear you. but, he's more the type of guy that would not blink at ripping something out that didn't work. i think part of it has to do with the place we live in. unless your rig is a trailer queen, Texas has a lot of hwy to cover to get to good places. when you're rolling through the western half of the hill country where the speed limit is 80, having that supercharger makes the climbs a lot easier to live with.

tonytony9

i hear you. but, he's more the type of guy that would not blink at ripping something out that didn't work. i think part of it has to do with the place we live in. unless your rig is a trailer queen, Texas has a lot of hwy to cover to get to good places. when you're rolling through the western half of the hill country where the speed limit is 80, having that supercharger makes the climbs a lot easier to live with.

Agree with a lot of the responses above - I would have to ask tho would the supercharger not be worth it for heavy highway drivers? Of course a regear could help you out also but I am absolutely tired of getting passed by a prius while my 3.8 barely makes it up a 20 degree incline

sm31

For 3.8's that have failed while SC'd... is there a "typical" point of failure? In my experience, pressurized motors usually fail for similar reasons but I was wondering if there is a more common one for this motor.

BaddestCross

And wouldn’t a hemi or LS swap cost a lot more than a supercharger??

Sure, but the real problem with the 3.8 isn't the motor, it's the transmission. I don't see the point of paying upword of $5k for 30 more HP and the potential of blowing a rod through the block when you still have a shit transmission that doesn't have enough gears to hold the motor's powerband.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't pass up buying a Jeep based on it having a supercharger but I also wouldn't spend the money on installing one.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Sure, but the real problem with the 3.8 isn't the motor, it's the transmission. I don't see the point of paying upword of $5k for 30 more HP and the potential of blowing a rod through the block when you still have a shit transmission that doesn't have enough gears to hold the motor's powerband.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't pass up buying a Jeep based on it having a supercharger but I also wouldn't spend the money on installing one.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Well I’m lucky cause the one I just bought has an upgraded transmission that is matched to the Super Charger and gears! I just don’t understand all the crapping on someone that doesn’t have the awesome 3.6 trying to get more out of his 3.8 while other alternatives cost a lot more money!

J

JKDream

Well I’m lucky cause the one I just bought has an upgraded transmission that is matched to the Super Charger and gears! I just don’t understand all the crapping on someone that doesn’t have the awesome 3.6 trying to get more out of his 3.8 while other alternatives cost a lot more money!

You're reading opinions from a majority that do not have personal experience with a supercharger on this motor.
I don't have any experience either, so I'm not going to tell you one is better than the other.

Top Bottom