I’m back! RIPP or not...

BaddestCross

Well I’m lucky cause the one I just bought has an upgraded transmission that is matched to the Super Charger and gears! I just don’t understand all the crapping on someone that doesn’t have the awesome 3.6 trying to get more out of his 3.8 while other alternatives cost a lot more money!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I remember you stating that in your other thread. Did they actually add more gears or just change the gearing? If they can add a gear or two, that would be something I'd be interested in.

As far as crapping on people goes, it's more a form of tough love. 😎

I actually prefer the simplicity of the 3.8 myself, so you won't hear me telling people to avoid it. It makes me laugh when folks call the 3.8 a minivan motor when my wife's minivan has a 3.6. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I remember you stating that in your other thread. Did they actually add more gears or just change the gearing? If they can add a gear or two, that would be something I'd be interested in.

As far as crapping on people goes, it's more a form of tough love. [emoji41]

I actually prefer the simplicity of the 3.8 myself, so you won't hear me telling people to avoid it. It makes me laugh when folks call the 3.8 a minivan motor when my wife's minivan has a 3.6. [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

To be honest I’m not sure what they do to their transmissions. I have been told that the RIPP Supercharger is tuned by Diablo and the transmission was built for the supercharger and I think for the 5.13 gears with 33 inch tires. I also say that cause on here they say that’s a mismatch and I’d be running high rpms when in reality I run 24,000 rpms @70 mph. The other fact that I know is when you get on the throttle you will be set back In your seat. Now don’t take that wrong it’s not like a corvette or anything but I am pretty impressed! I just took a trip down to Boston for a Celtics game with my 3 boys 1 is 6’5 and the other 2 over 6’ and it performed awesome, never once feeling under powered!

BaddestCross

To be honest I’m not sure what they do to their transmissions. I have been told that the RIPP Supercharger is tuned by Diablo and the transmission was built for the supercharger and I think for the 5.13 gears with 33 inch tires. I also say that cause on here they say that’s a mismatch and I’d be running high rpms when in reality I run 24,000 rpms @70 mph. The other fact that I know is when you get on the throttle you will be set back In your seat. Now don’t take that wrong it’s not like a corvette or anything but I am pretty impressed! I just took a trip down to Boston for a Celtics game with my 3 boys 1 is 6’5 and the other 2 over 6’ and it performed awesome, never once feeling under powered!

Lol. I run 5.13s on 37s and that's about my RPM if I remember correctly, so yeah they changed something. All I can say is that I hope whoever setup your rig did it right and it lasts to a long time.

People here come down hard on supercharged 3.8s because of all the issues, but maybe with everything matched and done by someone who knows what the fuck they're doing it'll stay alive for a good long time. 🍻

--

Exodus 4x4

As far as crapping on people goes, it's more a form of tough love. [emoji41]

I actually prefer the simplicity of the 3.8 myself, so you won't hear me telling people to avoid it. It makes me laugh when folks call the 3.8 a minivan motor when my wife's minivan has a 3.6. [emoji23]

--

Lol, people look at me funny when I tell them I’d almost rather have a 3.8 than the 3.6, just for the simplicity. They’re dogs on the road but so much easier to work on compared to the Pentastar.

I’ve heard the stroker kits work well too, though I’ve never actually driven one. Personally I’d just re-gear a 3.8 and then save, save, and save some more until I could afford the LS.

BaddestCross

Lol, people look at me funny when I tell them I’d almost rather have a 3.8 than the 3.6, just for the simplicity. They’re dogs on the road but so much easier to work on compared to the Pentastar.

I’ve heard the stroker kits work well too, though I’ve never actually driven one. Personally I’d just re-gear a 3.8 and then save, save, and save some more until I could afford the LS.

When you have to tear down the top of a motor to replace spark plugs, it's time to fire an engineer. 😂

--

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have 3 friends all of whom used to have supercharged 3.8s. One was an AEV roots type, one was a Sprintex and one was a RIPP. All three had issues or lights if some kind on every trip we went on. They all dealt with them and their "performance Increases" for a couple years. I think the longest one made it 3 years. They all now have v8s after having enough. They were all able to sell them for at least half what they paid to some other poor sap to do what all three say they should have done the first time, a V8.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3 friends all of whom used to have supercharged 3.8s. One was an AEV roots type, one was a Sprintex and one was a RIPP. All three had issues or lights if some kind on every trip we went on. They all dealt with them and their "performance Increases" for a couple years. I think the longest one made it 3 years. They all now have v8s after having enough. They were all able to sell them for at least half what they paid to some other poor sap to do what all three say they should have done the first time, a V8.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Couldn’t have said it better. Over the last 12 years, this is what I have seen. What’s really sad is how much more they ended up spending when all was said and done.

benatc1

Hooked
Zero experience with superchargers but have heard alot over the years to make me not want to spend the money. Everyone tries to justify it with "well even a bit of extra power would be fun or worth it" which I agree, but not for the cost and hassle. People say, oh I'll just be highway driving so wont have to worry about all the heat issues off road. I was pretty damn impressed with how I could go 60-100 in no time passing semis on I-95 down to Vegas in my stock JLUR loaded up, granted, different jeep all together but you get the point. If you want extra juice in a JK regear and see how it goes, other wise if you can save for a supercharger you can save for an LS, will just take longer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ajkaz

FWIW I own a 2 Door '07 JKR 3.8 6 speed with a RIPP, 4.88's on 37's and tons of armor. I also own a bone stock 4 Door '12 JKUR auto 3.6 with 3.73's. The 2 Door (which is much heavier) always pulls away from the 4 Door and though its not dramatic, its noticeable. The 2 Door is especially fun in the sand around Ocotillo and Superstition where the 4 door cant come close to keeping up especially on inclines.

The 2 Door has been on the majority of trails in SoCal as well as the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim. I've had no major issues caused by the RIPP, its biggest downfall is the requirement of 91 fuel and rendering the cruise control useless. The Jeep is a blast to drive on the highway especially up long grades where the power pulls you effortlessly. The RIPP offers little no gain on the rocks, unless your on the throttle in 4Lo; buts its also not designed to increase power in this situation, thats how you break stuff...

I've witnessed many issues with FI systems installed by shops that hadn't had previous experience with these installs. I installed my RIPP which I bought used from a Motech customer getting a LS Swap. I paid $3k shipped for the full RIPP Gen 2 Stage 2 kit, Ripp long tube headers, a running 3.8 and a blown up Level 10 built 42RLE. I sold the motor locally for $1500 and still have the trans sitting around. I installed the RIPP system myself and cleaned up up the top of the 3.8 at the same time changing the intake manifold gasket and ECT. A compression check showed that even at 90k miles my 3.8 cylinders and rings were in good shape.

The biggest difference between the 3.6 and 3.8 is really the transmission not so much the Pentastar. The Mercedes W5A580 is a great transmission and far better than the 42RLE in every way. I was looking for a 6 speed JKU when I bought the '12 but after driving the auto and finding out what vehicles it was used in, I was more than sold.

For $1500 invested, I would say the RIPP is definitely worth it. For anything over $3k, I wouldn't spend the money on it.

Top Bottom