I don't know if this has been started before but, what is a good trail welder ?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Definitely have to be careful, but it can be the difference in having to leave your rig on the trail. Smaller rod and move faster to not blow holes. That is why I keep 3/32 rod instead of 1/8

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I keep 3/32 7018 and 6010 rod. The cable is for running 2 batteries in series to get 24v. I also would be relying on a wheeling partner to lend me a second battery (until I get my 2 battery setup) this is emergency only, I wouldn't make a habit of shorting batteries for welding could get really costly really fast if you over do it. I have been part of one successful field repair with the same setup, and hopefully won't have to use it often. I just like knowing that I have everything needed at hand.

Gee, I wonder who's battery you would want to borrow? 🤑🤑

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I figure it's a 50/50 chance who's rig we would be welding on. But don't worry I'm already scheming for my dual batteries [emoji6]

WJCO

Meme King
I figure it's a 50/50 chance who's rig we would be welding on. But don't worry I'm already scheming for my dual batteries [emoji6]

Question. What's the purpose of dual batteries on a Jeep? Other than for using a welder? Also, the wiring to make it happens looks a little complicated.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

Yeh, but if there are any sticks around, then it is more 90/10 in your favor and I am stuck. I like the setup. It shows a lot of ingenuity on your part and it is such a simple setup. I lack all experience to be able to do it myself and would likely need your expertise. I have seen your welding skills and you are an artist with the welder. Even when you sleeved your front axle the welding was decent given the difficulty in welding in a vertical circle, which is very tough.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Question. What's the purpose of dual batteries on a Jeep? Other than for using a welder? Also, the wiring to make it happens looks a little complicated.

There are several reasons to run dual batteries. If you isolate them from each other you can have a dedicated starting battery, and an accessory battery for winch, welder, Arb fridge etc. by connecting them parallel you can double your available amperage while keeping 12v. And by connecting in series you can have 24v while keeping the amperage equal for welder. The possibilities are endless as to what you can do with the available power options.

WJCO

Meme King
Bumping this thread. I ended up going with a ready welder gun and a dual battery setup. Rather than doing something under the hood, I just bought 2 more batteries and built a carrier for them. Everything fits nicely in the back of the jeep and can be transported anywhere. And it works. I actually built the battery carrier with the portable welder.

0928161606.jpg

IMG_20160929_233816_522.jpg

Rubi_the_jeep

Onboard Welder jk

I’ve been looking around for an onboard welder that i could possibly install in the jeep for repairs on the trail. Just wanted to see what other people are running, and if anyone has thought about running a welder! Thanks and JEEP ON

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve been looking around for an onboard welder that i could possibly install in the jeep for repairs on the trail. Just wanted to see what other people are running, and if anyone has thought about running a welder! Thanks and JEEP ON

Merged thread here. There's not a ton of options out there but there's a few here.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Bumping this thread. I ended up going with a ready welder gun and a dual battery setup. Rather than doing something under the hood, I just bought 2 more batteries and built a carrier for them. Everything fits nicely in the back of the jeep and can be transported anywhere. And it works. I actually built the battery carrier with the portable welder.

View attachment 225031

View attachment 225032

How do you like this setup? Seems like a good option for portability

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
How do you like this setup? Seems like a good option for portability

Although I have yet to use it on the trail, I have used it a few times on mobile situations around the house and to help friends. It works very well, however anything under .250 is very tricky to weld. This thing welds very hot. When I use it for .125, I have to move very fast. I used it to weld the LoD sliders on the JK and it lasted the whole time.
Only other con is that the batteries are heavy. Around the house, I move them with a hand truck. I charge them at the beginning of the summer and bring them with me before trails. I also had a dead battery scenario and my jump box wasn't enough. I turned one of these batteries upside down on top of the battery under the hood making sure the terminals touched and actually got the Jeep started, lol.
I don't regret having it. Batteries aren't cheap, but then again, it's hard to find a cheap trail welder that actually works unless you're carrying stick rods.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Although I have yet to use it on the trail, I have used it a few times on mobile situations around the house and to help friends. It works very well, however anything under .250 is very tricky to weld. This thing welds very hot. When I use it for .125, I have to move very fast. I used it to weld the LoD sliders on the JK and it lasted the whole time.
Only other con is that the batteries are heavy. Around the house, I move them with a hand truck. I charge them at the beginning of the summer and bring them with me before trails. I also had a dead battery scenario and my jump box wasn't enough. I turned one of these batteries upside down on top of the battery under the hood making sure the terminals touched and actually got the Jeep started, lol.
I don't regret having it. Batteries aren't cheap, but then again, it's hard to find a cheap trail welder that actually works unless you're carrying stick rods.

Thanks for the feedback, I might go this route. Would like to have something like the Hobart, but don't think that's going to happen

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

View attachment 225031

View attachment 225032

Do you recommend the yellow tops? Thinking about ordering the same setup.

WJCO

Meme King
Do you recommend the yellow tops? Thinking about ordering the same setup.

I haven't had any issues with them. I've heard that Optima quality has gone down in recent years, but I've had mine for almost 2 years now with no issues. They've sat for months at a time and I can still weld .375 steel without charging them after they've been sitting. I hope they continue to work.

Oh and mine shipped with foam pads. Keep them, great knee pads while working on the garage floor.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I haven't had any issues with them. I've heard that Optima quality has gone down in recent years, but I've had mine for almost 2 years now with no issues. They've sat for months at a time and I can still weld .375 steel without charging them after they've been sitting. I hope they continue to work.

Oh and mine shipped with foam pads. Keep them, great knee pads while working on the garage floor.

That’s good to hear. Which model did you purchase?

Top Bottom