I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

USMC Wrangler

Good luck!

Thanks! It went pretty well. We didn’t get started until about 10am and I was driving home by 6:45pm.

The first hiccup was the shop being “loaned” to us. Someone decided to take out the power lines by crashing into them just before we arrived there. So we packed up tools and went to a friend’s house nearby. All the work was done outside and on jack stands. Luckily for us it was in the 70’s today.

The next holdup was getting the carrier bearings off of the rear. The plate and puller we had was too small. Another friend was called and had what we needed. It was about a 45 minute delay, but during that delay the front was worked on.

The next hiccup was getting the leverage to get the crush sleeve to crush correctly on the front, working off of the ground. It took some coaxing but finally cooperated. By then the correct puller had arrived.

The rear took awhile to get the shims right and the pattern correct. The front pattern was dead on first try. The rear took a few tries but that was successful in the end.

Last, was my transmission going into limp mode. It’s fixed now but you can read more about that here if you like.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56589-Gear-swap-and-programming-with-SC-Flashpaq

I’ve only got 23 miles on them but without a doubt a great improvement over the 3.21’s

It was non-stop all day with one beer and snack break so I only grabbed one pic.

IMG_7148.jpg

Thanks again to everyone here for all of the help! Project-JK torque specs were also a handy tool during reassembly.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks! It went pretty well. We didn’t get started until about 10am and I was driving home by 6:45pm.

The first hiccup was the shop being “loaned” to us. Someone decided to take out the power lines by crashing into them just before we arrived there. So we packed up tools and went to a friend’s house nearby. All the work was done outside and on jack stands. Luckily for us it was in the 70’s today.

The next holdup was getting the carrier bearings off of the rear. The plate and puller we had was too small. Another friend was called and had what we needed. It was about a 45 minute delay, but during that delay the front was worked on.

The next hiccup was getting the leverage to get the crush sleeve to crush correctly on the front, working off of the ground. It took some coaxing but finally cooperated. By then the correct puller had arrived.

The rear took awhile to get the shims right and the pattern correct. The front pattern was dead on first try. The rear took a few tries but that was successful in the end.

Last, was my transmission going into limp mode. It’s fixed now but you can read more about that here if you like.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/56589-Gear-swap-and-programming-with-SC-Flashpaq

I’ve only got 23 miles on them but without a doubt a great improvement over the 3.21’s

It was non-stop all day with one beer and snack break so I only grabbed one pic.

Thanks again to everyone here for all of the help! Project-JK torque specs were also a handy tool during reassembly.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

That's awesome that you regeared both axles in one day. That's a lot of work. When we did ours, same thing with the rear, took about 6 tries but front was near perfect on first try. Weird.

USMC Wrangler

That's awesome that you regeared both axles in one day. That's a lot of work. When we did ours, same thing with the rear, took about 6 tries but front was near perfect on first try. Weird.

It was a ton of work. I stayed busy breaking down both axles, playing gopher, doing some of the easier stuff like installing bearings on the rear carrier and finally overall reassembly.

I learned so much I just hope I can retain it all. It all makes a lot more sense after seeing everything they did as well as their explanations.

USMC Wrangler

Congratulations!

I'm sure you enjoyed the drive home after all that effort.
[emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks! Yes, it was great. It actually found 5th gear on its own going up a slight incline. I took today off work so I can get some break in miles logged and give Spider a bath.

USMC Wrangler

I’ve logged just about 136 miles since the swap. I spent several hours rotating between driving 35-50 mph and letting the diffs cool as much as I could. Everything is quiet and feels snug. Although I know the Jeep fuel economy calculation isn’t as accurate as manual tracking, I’ve jumped from bouncing between 15.8-16.2 to a solid 17.3. I couldn’t get 17 on the 3.21’s unless I was going downhill for a long time with a tailwind! I’ve tried to explain to my wife how regearing is beneficial to include the transmission being able to use all five gears. She at least understands that now when I showed her this.

IMG_7156.jpg

I’m sure many of us like to show our work and we know there’s really nothing to show with this kind of upgrade. So I added the bombshell to the front during the work yesterday. Painted by yours truly. It was too dark to get pics last night.

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Maybe this will be more fun for me than anyone else, but I thought I’d document my daily MPG since the swap to 4.56 up to the 500 mile break in period.

So today was all work and no play. I drove to work and back. On that route I have about 4 miles where the speed limit is 45 and 15 miles of 65, each way. The elevation varies quite a bit as I drive off the eastern side of one mountain range to the western side of another with a river valley in between. From home at about 4400 ft to my office at about 5200. The lowest point in the valley is around 3700 ft and there are plenty of smaller hills in between.

One thing I noticed immediately was either staying in 5th gear or only dropping to 4th in places it used to drop to 3rd or even 2nd gear to keep my momentum! With most of my miles being higher speed than yesterday, the MPG listed on the Jeep dropped from 17.3 to 16.5. I’m now just over 1/3 of the way to the 500 mile break in recommended by Revolution Gear. More to follow tomorrow...

IMG_7162.jpg

USMC Wrangler

IMG_7169.jpg

Well, that’s what I got today. The only thing different that I know about is a ridiculous head wind coming home. You know, the ones that make our Jeeps feel like ping pong balls! It does that here in the spring and I guess it started tonight.

I should also mention that I have the Superchips 87 Performance tune still installed. I did that a long time ago to get rid of the “drive by wire” feel. I may return it to stock tomorrow and just see what, if anything changes.

Gears are still quiet and no leaks. [emoji1303]

USMC Wrangler

Been busy with other things the last few days and haven’t driven the Jeep much. I’m at 315 miles since the swap and still sitting at 15.5 mpg.

I’m really glad I didn’t go to 4.88 with all the highway driving I do on a daily basis on my 35’s/auto transmission. Here are two screen shots taken from my WiFi OBD II reading tonight. Both were taken on fairly flat inclines in 5th gear.

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Wind beat the crap out of me today. These SE AZ winter storms are getting old!

Also, I hate 1st gear without the Superchips 87 Performance tune. I should say, throttle response from a dead stop. I’m putting that back in ASAP!

I should be damn close to 500 miles by Friday or Saturday. I’m looking forward to the gear oil change only as a sign I can go hit the trails.

IMG_7189.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I’m temporarily renaming my Jeep from Spider to Ping Pong Ball. That’s what it feels like in the wind lately. Anyway, almost there...

IMG_7199.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Almost. I'm sure you're loving the new gears.

I definitely am! I can’t wait to get it out on a trail to feel that difference too.

We have the same setup wait till you go to 37’s and that drops to around 12 mpg. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I say this now, but I plan to stay with 35’s as part of my “budget build”.

Also, I’m still not bothered by the MPG overall. The truck I had before Spider was getting 7-8 mpg on a good day.

USMC Wrangler

I just reinstalled the 87 octane tune from the Flashpaq. When it was done I went for a test drive. It went back to the limp mode feeling and 1st gear error DTC. Limped home and plugged in again. Updated the gear ratio from 4.55 to 4.56 and it worked this time. Other than reinstalling the tune I can’t think of any reason why it would’ve done this. Well, except...Superchips! I truly have a love/hate relationship with this tool. I love it when it programs correctly and I hate it for all the work arounds and inconsistency it’s displayed.

USMC Wrangler

I’ll definitely get to 500 miles sometime tomorrow with what’s on my schedule.

IMG_7209.jpg

The wind battered me on the way to work (mostly uphill) but was pretty calm on the way home (mostly downhill). The only other thing that changed is the 87 performance tune and being able to select 4.56 in the tuner.

I guess I’ve gotten used to the throttle response of the canned tune from SC. It felt so much better to me after reinstalling that.

USMC Wrangler

Cracked 500 on the way to work.

IMG_7210.jpg

Barely any wind and it’s all uphill. I plan on swapping the diff fluid out tomorrow or Saturday.

Top Bottom