I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

USMC Wrangler

I think you asked me about this ahead of time as well. There is more time involved in setting it up because of the proper shim addition, but the benefit is that once it's set correctly, you can remove and reinstall the pinion nut anytime without disturbing the bearing preload. But iirc, it sounded like your guy was more familiar with the crush sleeve method which is just fine if done correctly.

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, he said he had never used the eliminator kits before. Makes sense.

Also, to clarify, I plan on leaving the pinion in place and attempt to get the correct preload first before I fully remove it, if that makes sense. But my plans can go sideways depending on how things look when I get the cover off.

JKbrick

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, he said he had never used the eliminator kits before. Makes sense.

Also, to clarify, I plan on leaving the pinion in place and attempt to get the correct preload first before I fully remove it, if that makes sense. But my plans can go sideways depending on how things look when I get the cover off.

Won’t that pull your pinion away from the ring gear if you crush the sleeve more?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

After a full day of flying mostly solo, I’m happy to report the rear axle is all dialed in and quiet!!!

Here’s what I found. With the tires off, axle shafts and carrier installed, I only had about 10 in lbs of resistance at the pinion nut and ZERO with everything removed! [emoji44] Also when I pulled the diff cover I found two, mangled carrier shims sitting in the bottom of the diff! [emoji35] Thankfully they were intact and not binding anything. I think they were laid there and forgotten about. I also carefully looked everything over. I found no obvious damage to anything. [emoji1303]

IMG_7341.jpg

My diy flange holder worked perfectly after I made two trips to town to get the correct length bolts. I did have to completely crush the crush sleeve. With limited clearance on jack stands I used my floor jack, 1/2” ratchet and a cheater bar. Took it slow and got it to 30 in lbs when it was all said and done. The backlash checked out right where it was and the pattern is damn near perfectly centered.

I didn’t get any other pics because my phone died watching videos and looking up specs. Also, my muffler pissed me off so I yanked it. It’s a little bit ricey and a little bit red neck. Maybe it’s time for a Quiet Crawler or something.

I couldn’t have done this without the help of WJCO, Exodus Jeeps, Eddie’s awesome write ups and the whole WAL Family. Thanks everyone! Hitting some trails next Friday!

The lesson? I got what I paid for ($0 for labor) as in a headache. But I have gained a lot of knowledge through this so not all bad in the end.

Exodus 4x4

Why doesn’t anyone use crush sleeve eliminators? I don’t know but I’m curious

It takes longer, unless you screw up a crush sleeve and have to start over. I like it better but my techs hate it. Business wise the crush sleeve is better because it’s faster, so long as you don’t screw up and have to put in another crush sleeve. Plus they cost more.

JKbrick

It takes longer, unless you screw up a crush sleeve and have to start over. I like it better but my techs hate it. Business wise the crush sleeve is better because it’s faster, so long as you don’t screw up and have to put in another crush sleeve. Plus they cost more.

Makes sense, typically better costs more, thanks for the explanation

JKbrick

After a full day of flying mostly solo, I’m happy to report the rear axle is all dialed in and quiet!!!

Here’s what I found. With the tires off, axle shafts and carrier installed, I only had about 10 in lbs of resistance at the pinion nut and ZERO with everything removed! [emoji44] Also when I pulled the diff cover I found two, mangled carrier shims sitting in the bottom of the diff! [emoji35] Thankfully they were intact and not binding anything. I think they were laid there and forgotten about. I also carefully looked everything over. I found no obvious damage to anything. [emoji1303]

View attachment 324535

My diy flange holder worked perfectly after I made two trips to town to get the correct length bolts. I did have to completely crush the crush sleeve. With limited clearance on jack stands I used my floor jack, 1/2” ratchet and a cheater bar. Took it slow and got it to 30 in lbs when it was all said and done. The backlash checked out right where it was and the pattern is damn near perfectly centered.

I didn’t get any other pics because my phone died watching videos and looking up specs. Also, my muffler pissed me off so I yanked it. It’s a little bit ricey and a little bit red neck. Maybe it’s time for a Quiet Crawler or something.

I couldn’t have done this without the help of WJCO, Exodus Jeeps, Eddie’s awesome write ups and the whole WAL Family. Thanks everyone! Hitting some trails next Friday!

The lesson? I got what I paid for ($0 for labor) as in a headache. But I have gained a lot of knowledge through this so not all bad in the end.

Looks like a lot of work but like you said look at everything you learned yesterday [emoji106]

WJCO

Meme King
After a full day of flying mostly solo, I’m happy to report the rear axle is all dialed in and quiet....

Glad to help out where I can. Very glad you got it fixed so smoothly. Sucks you had to take it apart twice, but awesome that your setup fell into place like that.

jdofmemi

Congratulations for taking on a project like this and getting it done

Glad to hear that it worked out and you are back on the road.

What a great group of people here to help one another through any kind of issue you may have.

I will add my $0.02 on crush sleeves, from my Toyota days. I broke one set of gears after another when they were assembled with crush sleeves. Under extreme load, the sleeve would over crush, allowing the pinion to walk until it was not in the right place, and break the tips off of the gear.
After finding out more about the "Crush sleeve eliminator" or solid sleeve, and getting set up with it, I never broke another ring and pinion. It is more hassle to get set, but to me it was well worth the trouble.
I wish I would have known people who would have taught me how to do the set up myself back then, to that is the only thing I didn't do myself.

USMC Wrangler

Looks like a lot of work but like you said look at everything you learned yesterday [emoji106]

Exactly! I wouldn’t say I look forward to doing gear work yet, but I certainly feel like I understand a lot more than I did.

Glad to help out where I can. Very glad you got it fixed so smoothly. Sucks you had to take it apart twice, but awesome that your setup fell into place like that.

You definitely helped, Doug! Your write up kept me from going out of order and helped me gain some confidence. No one around here has the gear marking compound like what comes in rebuild kits. I had to use Permatex Prussian Blue. Also, when I finally was able to see a pattern, I didn’t believe it at first. I spent well over an hour analyzing if I had the dial indicator correct and if I was getting a good reading. Anyway, thanks again!

Congratulations for taking on a project like this and getting it done

Glad to hear that it worked out and you are back on the road.

What a great group of people here to help one another through any kind of issue you may have.

Thanks! I had a big sigh of relief last night!

USMC Wrangler

Remember a week ago when I said my muffler pissed me off? One mile of driving without it left two impressions on me. 1) It sounds like shit without the muffler and 2) I like the clean look/extra space with the giant muffler gone. So the Dynomax 39522 kit arrived Thursday evening while I was at work. Friday morning I was supposed to meet by 9am to hit the trails. Got home just after midnight and was outside swapping exhaust at 7:30 am.

First impression is that it’s pretty loud unless cruising or crawling. I read here that it mellows out after a short time, and I’m leaning towards liking it. If I hate it after some time and if I understand correctly, the Quiet Crawler muffler will swap right in.

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

https://youtu.be/GNu4K3Rjois

With the exhaust done, I made the meet only 15 mins late. I had a co-driver today and two other rigs. A ‘97 Toyota 4 Runner and a first time, newbie Jeeper in a ‘94 YJ. The YJ was in pretty sorry shape a few months ago, but my buddy did a great job of getting it road and trail worthy. He’s green off pavement, but he learned a lot today. #1 lesson? Clutchin’ ain’t easy! [emoji23]

I did get to pull him up to the top of the obstacle in the video with the Warn, but in my haste to make the meet, I forgot to put my empty SD card in the GoPro. [emoji20] So this is all I have...

https://youtu.be/4QaDpe1jhts

Fun trail, 30-45 mins from home that was new to me and the YJ owner, of course. I was damn pleased with Spider’s performance considering all the recent upgrades.

PS - The new 4.56 gears were great, especially in 4 low! No clunks or other noises. [emoji1303]

PSS- Sounds like I have a bent axle flange, maybe???

IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
New exhaust doesn’t sound that bad through my phone speakers. I’ve looked over that one a few times since I’d have to piece together the one that Eddie had on Rubicat.

I’ll be looking out for your follow up impressions once it mellows out. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I ran this for a bit and loved it. Only switched the pipe back for the rock crawler pipe I had because of pa inspection laws.

USMC Wrangler

New exhaust doesn’t sound that bad through my phone speakers. I’ve looked over that one a few times since I’d have to piece together the one that Eddie had on Rubicat.

I’ll be looking out for your follow up impressions once it mellows out.

The Rubicat Evolution Competition intall write up is where I started. When I followed the amazon link, it said it didn’t fit my ‘13. Checked on Dynomax and got the correct part number. So I don’t know what is different between the part numbers, but this fit perfectly.

I ran this for a bit and loved it. Only switched the pipe back for the rock crawler pipe I had because of pa inspection laws.

It’s growing on me for sure. My kids love how it sounds, so that’s something. I’ve seen so many comments about PA laws. It’s like they don’t want you to have too much fun! [emoji44]

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

The exhaust is definitely growing on me. Spent the better part of the day at the little league for pictures and three games. Had to move around a bit. As I pulled into my last spot a guy next to me was getting out of a nice Raptor. He asked when “newer Jeeps” started having a V8 as an option! I told him it’s not a V8 and had to open the hood to show him! [emoji23]

Last edited:

BaddestCross

The exhaust is definitely growing on me. Spent the better part of the day at the little league for pictures and three games. Had to move around a bit. As I pulled into my last spot a guy next to me was getting out of a nice Raptor. He asked when “newer Jeeps” started having a V8 as an option! I told him it’s not a V8 and had to open the hood to show him! [emoji23]
Just goes to show you that the new V8s don't sound like V8s anymore. Unless it's a Hemi. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

USMC Wrangler

I’ll be looking out for your follow up impressions once it mellows out. :yup

I’m just shy of 200 miles already! [emoji44] Honestly, every time I drive it I like it more and more. It has “sweetened” up a bit to my untrained ear. I’d recommend it for sound, clearance and price. Especially with a $50 mail in rebate right now. I paid $190ish at Summit Racing, so about $140 after the rebate. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

It is a few dollars cheaper on Amazon, but the free shipping was 4-5 days. Summit had it to me in AZ from their Nevada warehouse in two days, free ground shipping. [emoji1303]

Top Bottom