I wonder how a 'FULL STOCK' Jeep Wrangler would do in the Baja 1000?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, so long as it's something you could ORDER from the factory and have it show up at your dealership ready to go (minus safety additions like a cage and 5 point harness etc.), I'd say it's all kosher.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Again, so long as it's something you could ORDER from the factory and have it show up at your dealership ready to go (minus safety additions like a cage and 5 point harness etc.), I'd say it's all kosher.

So if anyone could buy Moby off a showroom floor as is. He/She would be considered stock? Interesting. But can see the point of view.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if anyone could buy Moby off a showroom floor as is. He/She would be considered stock? Interesting. But can see the point of view.

No. I'm saying that you need to be able to order the Wrangler directly from Jeep. Any Mopar Performance parts (specific to their catalog - needs to have a Mopar part number) they offer and can be included on your ordered Jeep and delivered from them to your dealership would be okay. You could not order a Moby from Jeep.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
No. I'm saying that you need to be able to order the Wrangler directly from Jeep. Any Mopar Performance parts (specific to their catalog - needs to have a Mopar part number) they offer and can be included on your ordered Jeep and delivered from them to your dealership would be okay. You could not order a Moby from Jeep.

Right I know you can't. But if you could you would consider it stock? Like the Toyota.. It has many non factory parts that can be ordered and you consider it stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right I know you can't. But if you could you would consider it stock? Like the Toyota.. It has many non factory parts that can be ordered and you consider it stock.

Guess I'm not familiar enough with Toyota's. I assumed that TRD products were the same as Mopar Performance in that they have specific TRD part numbers. If I am wrong about this and the truck they ran the Baja with is really built up with all kinds of non TRD parts, they shouldn't be calling it "full stock". However, if I'm right and all the parts they had on this truck were in fact options you can order directly from Toyota, yeah, I would still consider it "stock". Are you following me on this yet? The key words you need to be following are whether or not you can order it from the factory using factory parts that have factory part numbers. I really couldn't care less who the actual manufacturer really is so long as it's being sold as a Jeep part that you can get from the factory.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Guess I'm not familiar enough with Toyota's. I assumed that TRD products were the same as Mopar Performance in that they have specific TRD part numbers. If I am wrong about this and the truck they ran the Baja with is really built up with all kinds of non TRD parts, they shouldn't be calling it "full stock". However, if I'm right and all the parts they had on this truck were in fact options you can order directly from Toyota, yeah, I would still consider it "stock". Are you following me on this yet? The key words you need to be following are whether or not you can order it from the factory using factory parts that have factory part numbers. I really couldn't care less who the actual manufacturer really is so long as it's being sold as a Jeep part that you can get from the factory.

Yep that's what I got from what you were saying. Just was thinking if it's only a part number that is the "line" drawn between factory and aftermarket. If jeep made a replica of some of the best built rigs on here and had a factory part number for every part I have a hard time still calling it stock. Even if it's just springs and shocks. I'll end my tyrant now

JKWrang

Heres a good reference - you can buy an Audi R8 from the factory and it will demolish any of the BMW series cars in a road course with the right driver. Absolutely none of the performance parts that come stock on that thing are basic OEM level - but they all are OEM parts from VW

Doreion

I've been following this truck for a while on Jalopnik and here is a list of parts they added. nice truck, stock- not so much.
from this article http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/heres-how-toyota-plans-to-prove-their-trd-pro-trucks-ar-1617089362

Item Manufacturer Details
Front Shocks Bilstein TRD tuned-Blackhawk Bypass
Rear Shocks Bilstein TRD tuned-Blackhawk Bypass
Front Springs Eibach Coil
Rear Springs Deaver Leaf
Tires BFGoodrich® 37" Baja T/A KR
Wheels TRD 17" Forged
Brakes Toyota TRD Performance Brake Pads
Tube Roll Cage Herbst/Smith Fabrication 2" .120 Wall Chromoly
Oil Accumulator Accu-Sump 3 Qt. Capacity
Fuel Cell Fuel Safe Custom
Batteries Optima Blue Top
Race Seats (Qty. 3) Mastercraft 3G
Seat Harnesses & Window Nets Mastercraft N/A
Front Lights Hella HID
A Pillar Lights Hella LED Rally 4000
Cold Air Intake TRD Custom Cold Air
Exhaust TRD Custom Cat-back Exhaust
Control Arms Toyota OEM component
Uprights Toyota OEM component
Tie Rods Toyota OEM component
Wheel Bearings Toyota OEM component
Hubs Toyota OEM component
Driver GPS/Nav Lowrance 6"
Navigator GPS/Nav Lowrance 10"
Race Radio Kenwood TK-790H 110 Watts
Intercom PCI Comlink 10 Elite

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep that's what I got from what you were saying. Just was thinking if it's only a part number that is the "line" drawn between factory and aftermarket. If jeep made a replica of some of the best built rigs on here and had a factory part number for every part I have a hard time still calling it stock. Even if it's just springs and shocks. I'll end my tyrant now

LOL!! But that's just the thing, unlike you, I'm not talking about "IF" - I'm talking about what "IS" available and can be "ORDERED" from the factory "NOW". To me, so long as it comes from the factory, it IS stock regardless of who really makes it. Your Jeep's factory soft top is actually made by Bestop but is sold to you as stock. Your factory shocks are made by Monroe but are sold to you as stock. Your axles are made by Dana but are sold to you as stock. The only thing that make them stock are their factory part numbers.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
LOL!! But that's just the thing, unlike you, I'm not talking about "IF" - I'm talking about what "IS" available and can be "ORDERED" from the factory "NOW". To me, so long as it comes from the factory, it IS stock regardless of who really makes it. Your Jeep's factory soft top is actually made by Bestop but is sold to you as stock. Your factory shocks are made by Monroe but are sold to you as stock. Your axles are made by Dana but are sold to you as stock. The only thing that make them stock are their factory part numbers.

I understand that completely. But where's the line? looks like it's in the PN. Per what you're saying IF jeep sold a jeep that was built like some of the big rigs on here with all jeep PN's it be stock. I am agreeing with you. But it seems weird to say

DMF

I understand that completely. But where's the line? looks like it's in the PN. Per what you're saying IF jeep sold a jeep that was built like some of the big rigs on here with all jeep PN's it be stock. I am agreeing with you. But it seems weird to say

I think he meant dealer install vs rolling off the assembly line at Toyota plant.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Funny, it still seems to me like you're not understanding where I'm coming from at all. The line is whether or not it comes from the factory. There is no IF about it.

I think he meant dealer install vs rolling off the assembly line at Toyota plant.

Exactly. So long as it rolls off the assembly line, it's stock. Parts installed after the fact whether it's at the dealership or your garage, is not.

JKWrang

That IS the line, bud. I hate to break it to you but there are some factory vehicles... or more specifically, production vehicles, which are purpose built for performance enthusiasts with some money. Starwood Jeeps are not factory, but the rubicon model is. Whats the difference in a Sport and a Rubicon? By your argument a Rubi is not stock. There is no "line". If Jeep were to produce a model of the Wrangler which was Moby in all it's glory thatd be a special edition Wrangler - and the ONLY reason they dont is because there is a limited market for it given its price point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That IS the line, bud. I hate to break it to you but there are some factory vehicles... or more specifically, production vehicles, which are purpose built for performance enthusiasts with some money. Starwood Jeeps are not factory, but the rubicon model is. Whats the difference in a Sport and a Rubicon? By your argument a Rubi is not stock. There is no "line". If Jeep were to produce a model of the Wrangler which was Moby in all it's glory thatd be a special edition Wrangler - and the ONLY reason they dont is because there is a limited market for it given its price point.

Exactly!! The difference between a Sport and a Rubicon is probably the BEST example yet. :clap2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if jeep were to manufacture Moby and all it the rubicon 2 it be stock

There used to be a time when Jeeps were made with leaf springs and open diffs. Later, they are made with coils and limited slip diffs and now, are even made with control arms that are significantly longer than before, lockers, a 4:1 transfer case and electronic sway bar disconnect - ALL STOCK. 10 years ago, the biggest tire available from the factory was 31" and today, you can get the metric equivalent of a 33" tires - STOCK. So long as it comes from the factory, it is STOCK.

Top Bottom