ICON vs Rock Krawler vs EVO

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your really looking for the softest ride possible look at the Evo enforcer and pair it with either the rancho 9000's or the adjustable king 2.5 shocks. This kit with either of the shocks will ride smoother than the bolt on coilovers and way smoother than the other two. It will also provide just as much flex as them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1) The Jeep is technically my wife's daily driver, and my weekend toy. She enjoys going out, and even enjoys some moderate wheeling. One issue we have come across, is her having headaches after an outting. She had neck surgery 2 years ago, and a blood clot in her arm last November. So, I'm willing to spend the money to get the best ride I can for her, in order to keep her interested.

That being said, ride quality is 100% subjective. My idea of a nice ride may not be your wife's idea of a nice ride and just because one kit costs more than another for sure doesn't mean squat. A vast majority of ride quality comes from the springs and shocks will only smooth out the bumpiness and help to absorb big hits. In other words, pricey shocks with big name stickers on them won't necessarily do anything for you unless you like bombing through the desert. Likewise, while a long arm kit will help to correct suspension geometry and there for smooth out a ride, that only applies to a tall lift that could benefit from the correction. With just 35" tires, you're far from needing a long arm kit.

Crystaliner said:
Don't think the most expensive system is going to help your wife's neck out any. Maybe make it worse because of the stiffness required to bomb the desert.

This ^^^

The BAD Influence

OP- you keep reporting posts instead of quoting them.

Ya, sorry. Trying to respond from my phone. Cause opening the laptop is so time consuming...haha.

I think there's no sense in going any further than the EVO Enforcer for her. She has bilsteins currently. I'll see how they work out, if not will upgrade. I don't believe she'll ever need the Dana 44, but as I mentioned earlier, our son's will take the Jeep out when in town, so I'm going to go ahead with that. (side note: I don't want an extremely aggressive tire for her, would love to get that new Nitto Ridge Grappler, but an F rated tire on a Jeep doesn't sound very comfortable to ride on).

As far as my Jeep, the list is getting very long. My wife understands I'm a guy and want the power of the LS, but she also understands gearing. My plan was to purchase a used Jeep and swap engine and axles, Dana 60, but she wants me to get a new one and just handle the power issues with gears. But that V8 rumble is calling me.

My daughters have been out several times and now want their own Jeep when they get their license in 6 months....a third build may be on the table.....

Gravedigger11

Ya, sorry. Trying to respond from my phone. Cause opening the laptop is so time consuming...haha.

I think there's no sense in going any further than the EVO Enforcer for her. She has bilsteins currently. I'll see how they work out, if not will upgrade. I don't believe she'll ever need the Dana 44, but as I mentioned earlier, our son's will take the Jeep out when in town, so I'm going to go ahead with that. (side note: I don't want an extremely aggressive tire for her, would love to get that new Nitto Ridge Grappler, but an F rated tire on a Jeep doesn't sound very comfortable to ride on).

As far as my Jeep, the list is getting very long. My wife understands I'm a guy and want the power of the LS, but she also understands gearing. My plan was to purchase a used Jeep and swap engine and axles, Dana 60, but she wants me to get a new one and just handle the power issues with gears. But that V8 rumble is calling me.

My daughters have been out several times and now want their own Jeep when they get their license in 6 months....a third build may be on the table.....

Bilsteins ride nice I use them with my RK sprigs. If she doesn't like them I would look into AEV tuned shocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bilsteins ride nice I use them with my RK sprigs. If she doesn't like them I would look into AEV tuned shocks

:cheesy: A perfect example of just how SUBJECTIVE ride quality is. What you would consider "nice" is clearly something I'd consider harsh.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: A perfect example of just how SUBJECTIVE ride quality is. What you would consider "nice" is clearly something I'd consider harsh.

Eddie, I get what you are saying that ride quality is subjective. I would like to add another element to the equation though. That there is a certain lack of reference for people who subjectively state that THEIR ride is "nice". I see so many arguments that are made that are from self-fulfilling positions. The idea that "the ride that I bought is the best ride."

I believe that most people have not had a chance to really test these suspension systems against others in a relatively controlled environment. I believe that they made a choice based on budget, prior experience, perceptions, and general emotions. Rarely do I see people make a purchase decision based on objective testing, or even subjective testing. In my case, I took it on blind faith that what you guys were talking about was accurate. So far I am happy with the decision. But am I also self fulfilling myself into my own decision?

I have yet to have someone tell me that they felt that the EVO Double Throw Down Suspension system was worse than XXX suspension system. Maybe this is just my lack of experience in the field, which I admit is substantial. Or maybe the person who just drove my Jeep was fearful of being offensive to me if they told me anything different. On the contrary, I would welcome comments. Or maybe they simply hate to admit that any given suspension system is better than theirs. The biggest complaint I get from passers by is the idea that I "spent too much" or "just the shocks alone cost more than my entire lift". Frankly, I am not too concerned. I have only driven a stock Jeep, 3 lifted Jeeps and my own. I just cannot see how I could subjectively say that those lifts were better in most aspects. I did find that one lift, for the given trail that we were on at the time, felt better at low speeds. But then, am I also falling victim to my own perceived notions of a prior purchase?

It just begs the question, is there some form of objective testing available to the consumer that can help them make a better decision? Would there be a way to objectively cut through the bullshit and get to the facts regarding ride quality?

Whatever the case may be, I am finding that in general the more money you put into a suspension upgrade will net you a better ride. Don't you agree?

Gravedigger11

Very well. On what I could afford it is a nice ride.Once I can afford coilovers or ori struts I will be going to them. What may be a nice ride to you might be crappy to me. Hard to say what's really the best ride

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Whatever the case may be, I am finding that in general the more money you put into a suspension upgrade will net you a better ride. Don't you agree?

I won't speak for Eddie but, from my perspective, the answer is not necessarily. A Teraflex Elite 4 inch long arm kit is about $3,200. A regular enforcer with Billstein or Rancho shocks is going to be closer to $2,000. I personally feel the latter rides much better than the former, but it is because I find Teraflex springs to be ridiculously stiff.

Plus, at lower ride heights with smaller tires (2-3" lift with 35's), I'm not sure things like long arms are going to make that much of a difference at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very well. On what I could afford it is a nice ride.Once I can afford coilovers or ori struts I will be going to them.

LOL!! Oh please, as if coil overs or ori struts automatically = a guaranteed nice ride.

What may be a nice ride to you might be crappy to me. Hard to say what's really the best ride

Funny, I do believe I just got done saying that. It was you who seemed convinced that the OP would love what you have chosen to buy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It just begs the question, is there some form of objective testing available to the consumer that can help them make a better decision? Would there be a way to objectively cut through the bullshit and get to the facts regarding ride quality?

Is there a form of objective testing available to the customer that can help identify the best hiking boot without actually trying one on? Would there be a way to objectively cut through the bullshit and get facts regarding how a Lowa vs. a Keen vs. a Vasque or any other boot feels to your feet?

No, I don't agree. For instance, I personally feel that an Enforcer kit with King 2.5's have a nicer ride than a standard bolt-on coil over kit. But of course, that's just me and it's not as if I've installed and tested a myriad of lift kits over the last 20 years. I mean, who does that?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Eddie, I get what you are saying that ride quality is subjective. I would like to add another element to the equation though. That there is a certain lack of reference for people who subjectively state that THEIR ride is "nice". I see so many arguments that are made that are from self-fulfilling positions. The idea that "the ride that I bought is the best ride."

I believe that most people have not had a chance to really test these suspension systems against others in a relatively controlled environment. I believe that they made a choice based on budget, prior experience, perceptions, and general emotions. Rarely do I see people make a purchase decision based on objective testing, or even subjective testing. In my case, I took it on blind faith that what you guys were talking about was accurate. So far I am happy with the decision. But am I also self fulfilling myself into my own decision?

I have yet to have someone tell me that they felt that the EVO Double Throw Down Suspension system was worse than XXX suspension system. Maybe this is just my lack of experience in the field, which I admit is substantial. Or maybe the person who just drove my Jeep was fearful of being offensive to me if they told me anything different. On the contrary, I would welcome comments. Or maybe they simply hate to admit that any given suspension system is better than theirs. The biggest complaint I get from passers by is the idea that I "spent too much" or "just the shocks alone cost more than my entire lift". Frankly, I am not too concerned. I have only driven a stock Jeep, 3 lifted Jeeps and my own. I just cannot see how I could subjectively say that those lifts were better in most aspects. I did find that one lift, for the given trail that we were on at the time, felt better at low speeds. But then, am I also falling victim to my own perceived notions of a prior purchase?

I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer for the question that you pose. It is way too open for personal preference. Everyone has their own idea of comfort. The best thing one can do is test drive several lifts that they are considering for purchase. (If they are lucky enough to have friends with said lifts) Even at that you are relying on the adjustments that the owner has made as far as alignment etc to base your decision on.
What if someone had a "brand a" lift and their castor was way out, maybe the steering geometry was not correct causing bump steer. compared to "brand b" that was properly set but a "lesser quality lift" I would think that brand b would seem to be the obvious choice to a blind shopper.
The best advice I can give is get dirty, get involved, surround yourself with knowledgable people (like the people here on Wayalife) and try to learn. Don't be afraid to disagree as a thoughtful discussion can help both parties to understand, and learn from one another. You will not find a better sample of jeep accessory owners than right here.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
^^^^^^is correct. You need to make up you own mind on what's going to work the best for you. I was already to buy teraflex\metalcloak kits solely based upon advertisements and YouTube videos that said company's put out.

Then I came across WAL

Your going to get a honest opinion here. Take it for what it's worth. We have all been down this road. We all wheel.

I'm running Evo Bolton coilovers w37's and for me their Amazing

Hot94Z28

Agreed, I had Bilsteins and thought they were harsh as well. I put Rancho 9000's and it helped but would like to change my RK coils for some EVO plush rides but would like to ride in a Jeep with plush coils before doing that.

To the OP I would maybe see if you can ride in different Jeeps that run different lifts to see what ride you like?

The BAD Influence

Agreed, I had Bilsteins and thought they were harsh as well. I put Rancho 9000's and it helped but would like to change my RK coils for some EVO plush rides but would like to ride in a Jeep with plush coils before doing that.

To the OP I would maybe see if you can ride in different Jeeps that run different lifts to see what ride you like?

I live in Utah. Hard pressed to find anything that isn't running teraflex. Almost every garage I go to is pushing them too. Even went to Mecca, er Moab to ask garages there.... Teraflex, Teraflex, Teraflex.
I went ahead with the Rubicon express because they had a sale for the Easter weekend (which brings us all the way back to expensive to buy cheap) it's not a bad system, but I don't feel comfortable pushing it too hard. The control relocation brackets are a two piece contraption that seems slightly thicker than a tin can.
Finding this site sooner probably could have saved some time and money. I have clients who drive me crazy trying to educate themselves. They get information overload and paralyze themselves. I think in the last 24 hours since starting this post I've come to realize Eddie has 20 years more experience at this than I do. Rather than become like some of my clients and over inform myself into in-action, I'm just going to follow his advice. I'm thinking EVO should send me a prospectus on their stock. May as well purchase some as I'm going to be sending loads of cash their way.
Stay tuned for the following builds:
1) my wife's 2015 JKU
2) my, yet to be determined year
3) 2005 Rubicon unlimited for my daughters
4) my son just dropped $800 for an old Cherokee, asked for some help (cash) building it.

Hot94Z28

I live in Utah. Hard pressed to find anything that isn't running teraflex. Almost every garage I go to is pushing them too. Even went to Mecca, er Moab to ask garages there.... Teraflex, Teraflex, Teraflex.
I went ahead with the Rubicon express because they had a sale for the Easter weekend (which brings us all the way back to expensive to buy cheap) it's not a bad system, but I don't feel comfortable pushing it too hard. The control relocation brackets are a two piece contraption that seems slightly thicker than a tin can.
Finding this site sooner probably could have saved some time and money. I have clients who drive me crazy trying to educate themselves. They get information overload and paralyze themselves. I think in the last 24 hours since starting this post I've come to realize Eddie has 20 years more experience at this than I do. Rather than become like some of my clients and over inform myself into in-action, I'm just going to follow his advice. I'm thinking EVO should send me a prospectus on their stock. May as well purchase some as I'm going to be sending loads of cash their way.
Stay tuned for the following builds:
1) my wife's 2015 JKU
2) my, yet to be determined year
3) 2005 Rubicon unlimited for my daughters
4) my son just dropped $800 for an old Cherokee, asked for some help (cash) building it.

I have not heard many good things about Teraflex, seems like a lot of people around here run a little bit of everything but I don't know anyone to ask for a ride.

deezus

I have a RK x factor 3.5 and if I were to do it all over again I would go with the evolution ddp. Why? Quality ride off and on road and every time I've called them they were very friendly and helpful. Also, I love my RK it rides so nice on and off road but if I don't think I would buy there shocks. In fact my next major upgrade will be Eros king shocks. So, my opinion is Evo all the way. I would also have it installed by them as it does, to my knowledge, require welding. Good luck.
Also, I think everyone here would agree if your gonna get that kind of lift go 37s, don't waste your money on 35s. Actually, I can only speak for myself after going from 33 to 35 and finally 37s after telling myself I would only go to 33s!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom