ICON vs Rock Krawler vs EVO

deezus

Is there a form of objective testing available to the customer that can help identify the best hiking boot without actually trying one on? Would there be a way to objectively cut through the bullshit and get facts regarding how a Lowa vs. a Keen vs. a Vasque or any other boot feels to your feet?

Come on Eddie, everyone knows that Solomon are the best hiking boots😁

The BAD Influence

I have a RK x factor 3.5 and if I were to do it all over again I would go with the evolution ddp. Why? Quality ride off and on road and every time I've called them they were very friendly and helpful. Also, I love my RK it rides so nice on and off road but if I don't think I would buy there shocks. In fact my next major upgrade will be Eros king shocks. So, my opinion is Evo all the way. I would also have it installed by them as it does, to my knowledge, require welding. Good luck.
Also, I think everyone here would agree if your gonna get that kind of lift go 37s, don't waste your money on 35s. Actually, I can only speak for myself after going from 33 to 35 and finally 37s after telling myself I would only go to 33s!!

That's funny. I really lobbied her to stay with 33s so I wouldn't have to mess with the gears. Living in Utah mountains has proven me wrong, I'd be regearing even if we stayed with 33s. She wanted 35s from the beginning. I can see her someday going to 37s. Another reason in the back of my mind to go ahead with the Dana 44.

That's funny. I really lobbied her to stay with 33s so I wouldn't have to mess with the gears. Living in Utah mountains has proven me wrong, I'd be regearing even if we stayed with 33s. She wanted 35s from the beginning. I can see her someday going to 37s. Another reason in the back of my mind to go ahead with the Dana 44.

If you're seriously thinking about 37's at all in the future, you should really look into a dynatrac prorock 44 front axle as well.

benatc1

Hooked
I might as well chime on on this. I have 3in plush ride coils which I matched with Rancho 9000XL, in my opinion it is a very soft and smooth ride on road and not to bad off road. I swapped to this from 3 in teraflex and Fox shocks. I changed because I thought the ride was terribly harsh and my what a difference now. I always figured that id want coil overs (evo) and they would give me a smoother ride on and off road, even the bolt ons- am I incorrect in this thinking or are evo coils matched with correct King shocks a better ride to some?? I've driven a DTD across some small rocky/rough trails any it was pretty nice with the control and body sway compared to mine. I suppose I'd have to drive a bunch of varieties in order to really know what "feels" better to me. I guess do people find a big difference between a evo kit with king shocks compared to bolt on coil overs? And is the DTD that much better all around- not just bombing thru the desert? just curious from what people would recommend from their experience- not trying to start a massive debate

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I might as well chime on on this. I have 3in plush ride coils which I matched with Rancho 9000XL, in my opinion it is a very soft and smooth ride on road and not to bad off road. I swapped to this from 3 in teraflex and Fox shocks. I changed because I thought the ride was terribly harsh and my what a difference now.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've run the TeraFlex coils in the past and thought they were truly one of the most harsh riding ones I've ever tested bar none.

I always figured that id want coil overs (evo) and they would give me a smoother ride on and off road, even the bolt ons- am I incorrect in this thinking or are evo coils matched with correct King shocks a better ride to some??

You've got to put things into perspective. Plush Ride coils are considerably bigger and paired with BIGGER King 2.5 shocks, they will offer a softer ride than what come standard with a set of smaller bolt on coil overs. This is not to say that you can't setup the bolt on coil overs with softer spring or change valving on them to give you something closer to what you'd prefer. Of course, there's no magic setting you can plug in for that, it's really more a matter of trail and error than anything. Where the bolt on coil overs are still a better buy is in their greater amount of travel. You will be able to out flex a traditional coil and shock setup with them.

I've driven a DTD across some small rocky/rough trails any it was pretty nice with the control and body sway compared to mine.

I see that you used the words "pretty nice" as opposed to "amazing" or something along those lines. And, what I would say to that is that the amount of air that was in the tires at the time would make a difference. The spring rates and valving used would also make a difference and most importantly, how the bypass shocks were set will make a BIG difference. All this can be adjusted to what YOU like and that might not be the same as the owner of the Jeep you were driving.

I suppose I'd have to drive a bunch of varieties in order to really know what "feels" better to me. I guess do people find a big difference between a evo kit with king shocks compared to bolt on coil overs?

I don't know about "big difference" but a noticeable to me anyway. King 2.5's are physically BIGGER than a bolt on coil over and will do a better job of soaking up the bumps.

And is the DTD that much better all around- not just bombing thru the desert?

Absolutely and if only because they are so adjustable. If you took a drive in Moby vs. Rubicat, both of which have the exact same DTD setup, you would find that they both have a different ride. Moby is without question Cadillac smooth on and off the pavement but Rubicat can take a much bigger hit bombing through the desert. That's just the way I have them setup.

Jimmypaget

Lots of truth and facts in this thread. My 2013 jku came with (because I bought used) teraflex coils, teraflex bump stop extenders, and rancho shocks. I've noticed the stiffness of the ride both on and offroad. If I had a choice I would've made the dealer ship the jku to evo and have them upgrade it! (Also I knew nothing about Jeeps when purchased) and correct me if I'm wrong but Eddie ran some teraflex components on moby didn't he? So he can also speak from experience. Anyone have any extra cash I can donate to evo for me? [emoji12]

benatc1

Hooked
I couldn't agree with you more. I've run the TeraFlex coils in the past and thought they were truly one of the most harsh riding ones I've ever tested bar none.

yea they were brutal, didn't so much mind the Fox shocks but they didn't pair well with the plush rides

You've got to put things into perspective. Plush Ride coils are considerably bigger and paired with BIGGER King 2.5 shocks, they will offer a softer ride than what come standard with a set of smaller bolt on coil overs. This is not to say that you can't setup the bolt on coil overs with softer spring or change valving on them to give you something closer to what you'd prefer. Of course, there's no magic setting you can plug in for that, it's really more a matter of trail and error than anything. Where the bolt on coil overs are still a better buy is in their greater amount of travel. You will be able to out flex a traditional coil and shock setup with them.

that makes sense, even if it takes some work you can still adjust it to what you want but the money you spend is for the travel

I see that you used the words "pretty nice" as opposed to "amazing" or something along those lines. And, what I would say to that is that the amount of air that was in the tires at the time would make a difference. The spring rates and valving used would also make a difference and most importantly, how the bypass shocks were set will make a BIG difference. All this can be adjusted to what YOU like and that might not be the same as the owner of the Jeep you were driving.

great point, there are so many factors to consider when talking "ride quality" not to mention the subjectivity.

I don't know about "big difference" but a noticeable to me anyway. King 2.5's are physically BIGGER than a bolt on coil over and will do a better job of soaking up the bumps.

Absolutely and if only because they are so adjustable. If you took a drive in Moby vs. Rubicat, both of which have the exact same DTD setup, you would find that they both have a different ride. Moby is without question Cadillac smooth on and off the pavement but Rubicat can take a much bigger hit bombing through the desert. That's just the way I have them setup.

good to know, I suppose that's an awesome feature- which you pay for- but gives you alot of options, now I'm sure it's more than just turning a knob but you have the freedom so customize your set up.

Eddie Thanks for the detailed response, I'm sure I'll be diving deeper into this if I end up getting a 4 door down the road. for now I'm happy with my 2 door ride and where it's at in terms of ability! Thanks!

I realize, as a complete newb, that my opinion on this forum probably amounts to a hill of dog feces. However, instead of spending $6k plus right now on a subjective decision with input from guys with 50+ years of combined offload experience, buy a plane ticket to Ontario, Ca. in October and go to the Offroad Expo in Pomona. Talk to the engineers and gear heads that build these things. Meet Mel at the Evo booth. See the built rigs and let them tell you what has to go into changing factory geometry for the money bagger that wants everything. I went to the expo last year with preconceived notions of what I liked and came out with a completely new perspective. The engineering that it takes to build a suspension system that is affordable to a guy like me and capable of doing things beyond my driving ability is astounding. If you go with an open mind, you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn. Additionally, I would try to get involved in a local Jeep group and learn from them. I don't know how much offload experience you have but I do know that the questions you're asking may be better answered by people that can show you on site what they're talking about. Cheers, good luck, knock a few back and stay safe.

Last edited:

The BAD Influence

I realize, as a complete newb, that my opinion on this forum probably amounts to a hill of dog feces. However, instead of spending $6k plus right now on a subjective decision with input from guys with 50+ years of combined offload experience, buy a plane ticket to Ontario, Ca. in October and go to the Offroad Expo in Pomona. Talk to the engineers and gear heads that build these things. Meet Mel at the Evo booth. See the built rigs and let them tell you what has to go into changing factory geometry for the money bagger that wants everything. I went to the expo last year with preconceived notions of what I liked and came out with a completely new perspective. The engineering that it takes to build a suspension system that is affordable to a guy like me and capable of doing things beyond my driving ability is astounding. If you go with an open mind, you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn. Additionally, I would try to get involved in a local Jeep group and learn from them. I don't know how much offload experience you have but I do know that the questions you're asking may be better answered by people that can show you on site what they're talking about. Cheers, good luck, knock a few back and stay safe.

That's a damn good idea....my wife and I were just talking about going the other day.

JAGS

Hooked
I might as well chime on on this. I have 3in plush ride coils which I matched with Rancho 9000XL, in my opinion it is a very soft and smooth ride on road and not to bad off road. I swapped to this from 3 in teraflex and Fox shocks. I changed because I thought the ride was terribly harsh and my what a difference now. I always figured that id want coil overs (evo) and they would give me a smoother ride on and off road, even the bolt ons- am I incorrect in this thinking or are evo coils matched with correct King shocks a better ride to some?? I've driven a DTD across some small rocky/rough trails any it was pretty nice with the control and body sway compared to mine. I suppose I'd have to drive a bunch of varieties in order to really know what "feels" better to me. I guess do people find a big difference between a evo kit with king shocks compared to bolt on coil overs? And is the DTD that much better all around- not just bombing thru the desert? just curious from what people would recommend from their experience- not trying to start a massive debate

Hey Ben. I'll respond with my perspective and far less technically than what Eddie already noted. He really detailed it out to you.

As you know, I have the plush rides and King 2.5s running 37s on a JKUR. Have loved the ride since day one and no regrets. I've had others ride shotgun in my jeep and they noted the ride quality over Enforcer and other shocks and even better than EVO coilovers.

At time of purchase I really debated between this and King coilovers with EVO valving. Like 3-4 debated. Lol. As a daily driver with 99.975 percent spent on road and the rest running a variety of trails, all signs (those mentioned by Eddie and others) were pointing to the Enforcer.

Before and since, I've had a chance to ride in rigs with various lifts. Full traction, EVO spec King coilovers and EVO DTD. Aside from a lot of customizations with the coilovers, I'm happy with my off the shelf set up I have over the others. The DTD is just a special set up. Hard to beat! But, my pocket book and wheeling abilities just don't necessitate that level of commitment right now.

benatc1

Hooked
Hey Ben. I'll respond with my perspective and far less technically than what Eddie already noted. He really detailed it out to you.

As you know, I have the plush rides and King 2.5s running 37s on a JKUR. Have loved the ride since day one and no regrets. I've had others ride shotgun in my jeep and they noted the ride quality over Enforcer and other shocks and even better than EVO coilovers.

At time of purchase I really debated between this and King coilovers with EVO valving. Like 3-4 debated. Lol. As a daily driver with 99.975 percent spent on road and the rest running a variety of trails, all signs (those mentioned by Eddie and others) were pointing to the Enforcer.

Before and since, I've had a chance to ride in rigs with various lifts. Full traction, EVO spec King coilovers and EVO DTD. Aside from a lot of customizations with the coilovers, I'm happy with my off the shelf set up I have over the others. The DTD is just a special set up. Hard to beat! But, my pocket book and wheeling abilities just don't necessitate that level of commitment right now.

Hey man, Thanks for the reply. Thats good information, along with the "ride feel" i understand its important to where your jeep mostly functions and to whats necessary on a lot of difference levels. If our jeeps were all just toys and not DD and we had unlimited funds im sure there would be more DTDs out there but I think A lot of us drive them daily and cant justify that expenditure without a lot of saving. Hope all is well!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I realize, as a complete newb, that my opinion on this forum probably amounts to a hill of dog feces. However, instead of spending $6k plus right now on a subjective decision with input from guys with 50+ years of combined offload experience, buy a plane ticket to Ontario, Ca. in October and go to the Offroad Expo in Pomona.

In other words, instead of getting real input from guys who will give it to you straight and tell you just how SUBJECTIVE "ride quality" really is, you're recommending that the OP buy a plane ticket to attend a MANUFACTURER & VENDOR show so that their SALESMEN can SELL him on the idea as to why he should BUY their products.

Talk to the engineers and gear heads that build these things. Meet Mel at the Evo booth. See the built rigs and let them tell you what has to go into changing factory geometry for the money bagger that wants everything.

"Talking" to engineers, "seeing" built rigs and having manufacturers "tell" you why you should buy their kit does not = a "great ride" that would be good for a bad neck.

I went to the expo last year with preconceived notions of what I liked and came out with a completely new perspective. The engineering that it takes to build a suspension system that is affordable to a guy like me and capable of doing things beyond my driving ability is astounding. If you go with an open mind, you'll be amazed at how much you'll learn.

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way but what I'm hearing from you is that you're easily swayed by salesmen.

Additionally, I would try to get involved in a local Jeep group and learn from them. I don't know how much offload experience you have but I do know that the questions you're asking may be better answered by people that can show you on site what they're talking about. Cheers, good luck, knock a few back and stay safe.

LOL!! I guess you missed the part where the OP says he lives in Utah and how everything there is all about TeraFlex. I'm new to this whole Jeep thing but in my limited experience, I have found that local Jeep groups tend to all run the same stuff and the parts they tend to run is typically regional. Back east, companies like Rock Krawler are king, in the west coast, EVO tends to be everyone's favorite - I could go on and on. Clearly, you have a low opinion regarding the information that one can learn from a place like WAYALIFE and that's cool. To a large degree, I'd agree that "talking" to people and "seeing" would never be able to replace first hand experience like the kind you can get RIDING in various Jeeps with different setups.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey man, Thanks for the reply. Thats good information, along with the "ride feel" i understand its important to where your jeep mostly functions and to whats necessary on a lot of difference levels. If our jeeps were all just toys and not DD and we had unlimited funds im sure there would be more DTDs out there but I think A lot of us drive them daily and cant justify that expenditure without a lot of saving. Hope all is well!!

Limited funds aside, I personally wouldn't be running what I do on my Jeeps if they didn't provide the BEST ride and performance on and off the trail for me. I never trailer my Jeeps anywhere and I still rack up thousands of miles every year getting to the trail and driving back and being able to do that in comfort is pretty important to me.

In other words, instead of getting real input from guys who will give it to you straight and tell you just how SUBJECTIVE "ride quality" really is, you're recommending that the OP buy a plane ticket to attend a MANUFACTURER & VENDOR show so that their SALESMEN can SELL him on the idea as to why he should BUY their products.

"Talking" to engineers, "seeing" built rigs and having manufacturers "tell" you why you should buy their kit does not = a "great ride" that would be good for a bad neck.

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way but what I'm hearing from you is that you're easily swayed by salesmen.

LOL!! I guess you missed the part where the OP says he lives in Utah and how everything there is all about TeraFlex. I'm new to this whole Jeep thing but in my limited experience, I have found that local Jeep groups tend to all run the same stuff and the parts they tend to run is typically regional. Back east, companies like Rock Krawler are king, in the west coast, EVO tends to be everyone's favorite - I could go on and on. Clearly, you have a low opinion regarding the information that one can learn from a place like WAYALIFE and that's cool. To a large degree, I'd agree that "talking" to people and "seeing" would never be able to replace first hand experience like the kind you can get RIDING in various Jeeps with different setups.

Woah, what I meant by the first part was that it seemed clear too me that the OP was hesitant about accepting the opinions of the people on this forum. I would never advocate that anyone take the word of salesmen over the impartial word of people with experience. Using what he has learned here and coupling it with a trip to a vendor expo wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think. This is the first Jeep forum I chose to join because I highly respect what you and the other more experienced members of this group do and what they have to say. I want to learn from this group as much as possible because I like what I've seen so far, both on the forum and on youtube. When I went to the expo I didn't even know companies like Evo, PSC...etc. even existed or what they did. I learned a lot because I kept an open mind and entered every interaction knowing that everyone was there to sell me on their product. I spent money on products I thought would be valuable to me and formed opinions that I felt were not that influenced by sales pitches because some of them changed after some research. I made one purchase at the expo that did not come out of any research and that was for an sPod setup because I liked the product and thought it was valuable.

I made my reply to this post with the caveat that I am a complete newb. I have no idea what the "best ride" or what a "great ride" is or who would make the product that would give it to you. Thats why I didn't comment on that. I simply offered the OP another source of info without expressing which source of information I find more valuable because I didn't think that would be important. I had no idea that things are different on a regional basis or from club to club. I would assume that they would be different based on the areas people typically go wheeling which would make sense that local club members would tend to run the same things. I didn't think they would be different based on marketing. I think some things definitely got lost in translation here and I'd like to reiterate the fact that I joined this forum over all the others out there because I respect and value what you and the people that form this group have to say about Jeeps. That doesn't mean I don't get information from other places and it doesn't mean that I value information from one source more or less than another source.

The BAD Influence

I wanted to address this issue and what I've learned:
Regarding the Expo, I do think it's a good idea. Yes, I was taken by the Rubicon Express sales guy in Moab, but in reality I got what I was looking for. I had a preconceived notion that I was only going to spend X amount on a lift. When I visited other booths and heard the price, I just walked on, without hearing them out regarding what their system actually contained. Since installing it, wheeling a little, joining this site, hopefully I'd go to an Expo with a different attitude. Just to learn. I went to Moab with money in my pocket and a plan to buy. (I got our front bumper, LEDs installed, for $600 from Paramount, because they didn't want to haul it back home).
Maybe it's me, but the theme of this thread has been, besides the obvious fact, that everyone has their own definition of what a "good" ride is; "You'll really enjoy the EVO enforcer, but if it was me and had the money, I'd go with the Coil over" . Which takes me all the way back to the start. This time I want to do it right, for my wife's Jeep, for mine, or any other build I'm doing. Since I have the money and am willing to spend it, I want the best. My definition of best will be different than anyone elses. My best, may be different from my wife's, that being said, alot of posts have said option A is great, but if you have the cash option B is better.
So back to the Expo idea, I think it would be fun, a chance to learn, could visit friends down that way, sit on the beach.
Bottom line, I've got to take some others advice and get out and try new things. Maybe I will have to get my Jeep, play around with it, try some things, and then come back to hers.
I really appreciate all your feedback.

benatc1

Hooked
Limited funds aside, I personally wouldn't be running what I do on my Jeeps if they didn't provide the BEST ride and performance on and off the trail for me. I never trailer my Jeeps anywhere and I still rack up thousands of miles every year getting to the trail and driving back and being able to do that in comfort is pretty important to me.

yea that's a good point. hence the reason why I assume you switched from bolt ons to the DTD with Rubicat. for you, DTD does provide some of the best all around because obviously it's what you've "ended" your upgrades in your suspension- and you've tried many types of suspensions form what I understand .. hopefully one day I can be in that position!!

Top Bottom