IF YOU HAD $80K - Would You Buy a Totally Built Jeep or Build Your Own?

With $80K - Would you buy a built up Jeep or build your own?

• Well duh! Buy a built up Jeep!

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Are you Kidding? Build my own of course!

Votes: 64 95.5%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on what i'm getting for 80k in a used jeep. Am I getting EVO1 or some Rubicon?

I dunno. I'm sure it's just me but for $80K, I think I'd at least want to have among other things, a top, a windshield, AC, a stereo, rear cargo space, a little better than 3 MPG, a Jeep that gets used more than 4 times a year and doesn't need to be trailered everywhere.

I dunno. I'm sure it's just me but for $80K, I think I'd at least want to have among other things, a top, a windshield, AC, a stereo, rear cargo space, a little better than 3 MPG, a Jeep that gets used more than 4 times a year and doesn't need to be trailered everywhere.

Haha well said. Yea, evo1 is an awesome jeep no doubt about it...but a little bit impractical to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely build. That is half the fun. I would spend the $44,000 on a loaded Rubicon, spend another $2,000 on nice tools and then use the other $34,000 for bolt on coilovers, bumpers, some interior mods, wheels/tires, and other exterior mods like armor.

Speeddmn

Id build, I would start with a used mall crawler some soccer mom drove. Get a 13/14 model year and buy exactly what I need and do it in stages so you know you arent over building for what you want.

Example, I have zero interest to bomb through the desert. So a 44/60 combo is more than enough, but id do a 60/60 for insurance.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Does buying a new one and dropping it off at ORE constitute building or buying? :idontknow:

Warebear

Build!

I know that I have had some of my most fun jeep times in a shop with my best friends tearing our jeeps apart and installing the parts we waited to get in the mail. That is half of the experience to me.

Last edited:

Trail JK

Build my own hands down!

There is so much fun and excitement that comes with picking everything out yourself even waiting for brown Santa to drop off a part that you've ordered. Additionally, you have the peace of mind knowing what's been done to the Jeep.

There is only one exception I would make where I would purchase a build. There's a small handful of Mopar underground builds that I really love for example, the lower 40 and the chief. It would be awesome to own those. That said, I may not feel comfortable taking them on all the trails that I would take my jeep on and it's still more exciting to have built them yourself.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I am decidedly not a mechanic but what I have done myself has been loads of fun to do (bumpers, tire carrier, winch, sliders, skid plates) My wife, sons, and a couple of friends have all pitched in at one point or another.

Travv310

Definitely build it myself a true jeep is built not store bought you'll take much more pride if you build it yourself and someone says wow man badass jeep you can say I did it all or you could say thanks I bought it like that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Rather build my own. Buy a sport model and strip it down to body and frame. Then new dynatrac axles, LS, atlas, the works!

ob_tj

2 all the way. Build it exactly the way that I want it. PR 60/80 combo, 40s, DTD. The whole 9 yards.

Build. $80k can go a long way when you build your own and that means the likelihood of left over money for a good selection of spare parts and tools. And, like many of you I take great pride in the hard work. Even though I bought my jeep used, it was stock and I've really enjoyed building it this far. But I also get really attached to my vehicles.

Top Bottom