IF YOU HAD $80K - Would You Buy a Totally Built Jeep or Build Your Own?

With $80K - Would you buy a built up Jeep or build your own?

• Well duh! Buy a built up Jeep!

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Are you Kidding? Build my own of course!

Votes: 64 95.5%

• Total voters

WEN2FAS

I dunno. I'm sure it's just me but for $80K, I think I'd at least want to have among other things, a top, a windshield, AC, a stereo, rear cargo space, a little better than 3 MPG, a Jeep that gets used more than 4 times a year and doesn't need to be trailered everywhere.

I heard you were a little soft. Lol. If there was your dream jk sitting there, with exactly the parts you wanted, for 80k. Next to it is a "Jeep" worth 200k slightly used, been run twice, also 80k. Which one are you picking?

Oh but there's no jeep worth 200k. Well there's no used jk for 80k either.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
#2. I would build it.

Though I may be very tempted if the Jeep for sale for $80k was built like Moby...I would love a LS and a very well done build. I couldn't do that myself for that kind of money.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

Buster3479

I'd build it without hesitation. I'd get to pick every option I want and know that every bit of it was installed properly. I think I get at least as much enjoyment wrenching as I do wheeling. Jeeping is the whole package, not just time behind the wheel. You can't buy your way into a way of life.

tgoss

If I had 80k I wouldn't be buying a used built JK....

Sounds like a nice toy and nice parts list in that sales thread tho.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Build.
I would understand if it were a muscle car but as for my Jeep I would want my hands on all the parts so I know how to fix it out on the trail. I've had too many projects that I had to cleanup other people's mistakes.

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Build. However, if you had the opportunity to order from the manufacturer with every aspect you wanted in the jeep, to be covered by factory warranty, I would order from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
Build. The only warranties end up being the parts you bought.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Buy!!

Just kidding. Build. Thingss aren't looking good for the guy wanting to sell for 80k. Reinforces my current strategy that I'll own this Jeep forever. Built to last. Built to never be sellable for a decent price.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'd probably build, but I doubt I'll ever put $80k into any depreciable asset. With that said, the population on the wayalife forum are definitely DIY leaning. But I'm sure there are some wealthy guys out there that have the money to burn and just want to look tough.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lil Nasty

Buy!!

Just kidding. Build. Thingss aren't looking good for the guy wanting to sell for 80k. Reinforces my current strategy that I'll own this Jeep forever. Built to last. Built to never be sellable for a decent price.

Back when I was buying my JK. There were a few jeeps floating around between $80-$100k. The local dealership had one with a hemi and were asking $85k. They had it awhile and I'd seen the price drop to $75k. I'm not sure exactly what was in the builds as I was never interested.

On a side note, if you're looking to pick up a new Ford F-350, and like options, you could find yourself easily in the $80k range.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I could go either way. If it was a new rig like spicy chicken just the way I wanted it I might go that way. Probably would build it though

Thunder

Definitely build. And do as much myself as possible. That's the way I've done it so far and I'm happy with it. [emoji846]
However the axels and suspension I'm saving for now will all be done at ORE.

USMC Wrangler

I can understand, (only a little), someone new to the Jeep/off road world, with the cash buying an already built Jeep for that price.

With what I've learned over the past few years, I would definitely build my own if I had that cash.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Top Bottom