In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

The EVO JL/JT rock skins with the adhesive is pretty sweet. They come with the option of using nutserts but if you don’t want to drill or have anything permanent, the adhesive seems to work good and does not move once it’s on. I think it also gives a clean look and come in raw aluminum or already powder coated from EVO. What do you think?

9E24E0B7-8B81-473F-AE64-BB1BCD3F2BFB.jpeg
2CB04E20-A562-43F4-8BF0-00942532C0A3.jpeg
E07E4924-628F-413F-9C2A-11F193816DA5.jpeg

Jackboeker83

The EVO JL/JT rock skins with the adhesive is pretty sweet. They come with the option of using nutserts but if you don’t want to drill or have anything permanent, the adhesive seems to work good and does not move once it’s on. I think it also gives a clean look and come in raw aluminum or already powder coated from EVO. What do you think?

View attachment 386127
View attachment 386128
View attachment 386129
I just put them on my rig this past week and I like them. I went with the ones you have to drill (painted the nuts to match) so if I wanted to remove them to repaint or whatever I could. the adhesive style does look clean.
F316DFBF-C9E0-46C2-963C-1C051A921B24.jpeg D3BF702C-48C9-47F3-8CB8-ED509A628D56.jpeg DA046F72-0FE2-4295-AAE9-21AF00BBBA6D.jpeg

View attachment 386127
View attachment 386128
View attachment 386129

This is very sick. I’ve thought about this. Wondered if any manufacturers would go for it. Thanks for posting

I just put them on my rig this past week and I like them. I went with the ones you have to drill (painted the nuts to match) so if I wanted to remove them to repaint or whatever I could. the adhesive style does look clean.
View attachment 386139 View attachment 386140 View attachment 386141
Awesome looks great! 👍🏼
The adhesive looks clean. Not gonna lie though, I’d be scared as shit of dropping one of those on the freeway at speed and killing someone. I also wonder how they will handle temperature change and freeze/thaw snow.
Well then there is that lol the temperature changes are a good question but from what I understand, EVO has been testing the adhesive for a while and would assume they trusted it enough to release it as an option.
This is very sick. I’ve thought about this. Wondered if any manufacturers would go for it. Thanks for posting
I’ve used this 3M tape in the past on other things and it’s dang good and as you can see it gets applied around the entire outside. These are also aluminum so really light.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The adhesive looks clean. Not gonna lie though, I’d be scared as shit of dropping one of those on the freeway at speed and killing someone. I also wonder how they will handle temperature change and freeze/thaw snow.
Exactly! I’ve seen countless fenders fly off on the freeway. No way in hell I would run that.

Exactly! I’ve seen countless fenders fly off on the freeway. No way in hell I would run that.

Yea I would never have the confidence to just 3M some shit to my rig for this exact reason, but often wondered if a company would invest time into testing the concept and seeing if they could make it work…

To be honest, the strip of 3M looks pretty thin…but again, I haven’t tried to fly it…

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yea I would never have the confidence to just 3M some shit to my rig for this exact reason, but often wondered if a company would invest time into testing the concept and seeing if they could make it work…

To be honest, the strip of 3M looks pretty thin…but again, I haven’t tried to fly it…
Yup. Honestly this looks like a grab just to sell more to the general Jeep owner. A sell out of you will. Far different than products released in the past.

JimLee

Hooked
The 3M VHB tape that holds my solar panel on my hood is like a booger on a kids shirt, it's gonna need a crowbar to take it off. On the other hand the 3M VHB tape that came on the rubber backing of my KC light mount didn't last a year. On one hand I'm sold on the stuff, on the other I'm leery of it. I did do a much more intense job of curing it properly with heat on the solar panel though. I don't know, I saw that pic and kinda held my breath, I think I'd sleep better with the nutcerts.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They of course still offer the nutsert option but seems like there is definitely a crowd who do not want to drill into the body. So I can see offering both to appeal to more people is a motive.
At the very least, I’d throw a nutsert in the top front of each panel as a safety. Hell, as an installer/reseller, I’d do it just to cover my own ass. I bet there is probably a lawyer on here who can tell you about supply chain product liability, but it might ruin your night. ;)

At the very least, I’d throw a nutsert in the top front of each panel as a safety. Hell, as an installer/reseller, I’d do it just to cover my own ass. I bet there is probably a lawyer on here who can tell you about supply chain product liability, but it might ruin your night. ;)
Haha well I alway appreciate good advice, especially from a lawyer. But I totally get where you are coming from and can see the potential issue. May be worth having a signed release of liability.

Jackboeker83

I’ve used this 3M tape in the past on other things and it’s dang good and as you can see it gets applied around the entire outside. These are also aluminum so really light.
I don’t think people understand how light these are. Seriously one finger to pick it up. I would 100% trust the tape to hold it in place and went with the nutserts for the fact I was worried about getting it off if I wanted to repaint them or work on the body.

Brute

Hooked
We just installed an ac unit in our garage (two days ago) for the upcoming summer in Henderson. Last year, during one of those 110 degree days, the temps in our garage were closer to 120 since we have opaque glass windows on our garage doors...it softened the adhesive on the rear aluminum panel on the Bronco enough that it began to separate from the rear door...had to have it reattached..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I personally like the look of the bolt on ones if only because of the way they look but I've had a chance to give these stick on skins a look in person and talked to my friend David, the guy who was testing them out on his Jeep and while he was able to remove one, again, for testing, he literally had to cut it off and said it was a epic ordeal. In fact, when I saw his Jeep, it still had the adhesive on the paint and he was bummed about not knowing how to remove it. Good adhesion of any adhesive comes from proper prep.

With that said, I personally would still prefer bolting mine on.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've used products with the 3M tape, the Texas heat softened the adhesive enough to allow it to peel a little but not completely fall off; these were plastic parts.

Trying to remove them before their time leaves a lot of residue and requires a flap wheel and alcohol to remove it.

I like the idea of no nutserts but don't need the additional worry, if they had a couple of tabs that tied into the pinch seam with bolts and the upper with the tape... (y)

(edited to clarify my tab comment)

Last edited:
Top Bottom