Inside tire wear

benatc1

Hooked
Curious to your guys thought on this one, don’t want to just start throwing parts at it. 11k miles, only about 6k on these tires, nitto 38s, drivers side only inner tire wear. All the rest are wearing normal but I’m about due for a tire rotation anyway. Ball joints, tie rod end, hub all feel rock solid. Jeep drives fine, I did get a hint of death wobble yesterday that kinda surprised me but went away and haven’t been able to recreate it. Tire pressures has been 28-30, but recently dropped to 26. pretty significant wear in the inside of this tired passenger is smooth, maybe hard to tell in pics, maybe even a slight overwear in the outside too but nothing like the inside. any one have any idea on what else to check here that might be causing this? IMG_7235.jpeg IMG_7234.jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
I've found on my JKU, that was usually cause by out of alignment or ball joint, your toe in probably do better closer to 1/8"

how did you check the ball joint?

For the JL, they do make camber sleeves, it replaces the upper ball joint sleeve.

benatc1

Hooked
I've found on my JKU, that was usually cause by out of alignment or ball joint, your toe in probably do better closer to 1/8"

how did you check the ball joint?

For the JL, they do make camber sleeves, it replaces the upper ball joint sleeve.
I just brought the to 1/8, ball joints felt rock solid but I had to replace them in my 2018 with aluminum knuckles at 15k miles and they weren’t loose then either, but I had more pronounced death wobble then and ran out of parts to replace, mainly went away after that. I have a set of synergy ball joints that I may end up installing but was originally planning on knuckles ect at the same time.

WJCO

Meme King
I'd say toe as well. Tire pressure seems fine. Caster will not wear tires so don't worry about that. Weak shocks can cause uneven wear but it's usually spotty and random and across the entire tread. I would definitely recommend rotating mud tires every oil change for longevity.

benatc1

Hooked
I'd say toe as well. Tire pressure seems fine. Caster will not wear tires so don't worry about that. Weak shocks can cause uneven wear but it's usually spotty and random and across the entire tread. I would definitely recommend rotating mud tires every oil change for longevity.
I rotate them every 3-5k depending on my driving habits, going to rotate them tomorrow as I’m right around 4k. I have toe set to a little less then 1/8 in more, will watch closely over this rotation period.

WJCO

Meme King
I rotate them every 3-5k depending on my driving habits, going to rotate them tomorrow as I’m right around 4k. I have toe set to a little less then 1/8 in more, will watch closely over this rotation period.
After the rotation, you could always do a chalk test on that LF just to make sure pressure is good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just on the driver side front? Have you checked to see if there's any camber on the wheel?

Also, 1/4" of toe is a lot. I always try to set it to about 1/16"

benatc1

Hooked
Just on the driver side front? Have you checked to see if there's any camber on the wheel?

Also, 1/4" of toe is a lot. I always try to set it to about 1/16"
Yea only on the DS front, other tires are fine, I brought toe down to less than 1/8th. I’ll try and get a camber measurement tomorrow. What might that indicate?

benatc1

Hooked
Remember all that hard and fast driving we were doing on the New Year Run?

If I could guess, you axle is bent on the driver side.
Ha yea I certainly do, I’ll be sure to check that in the am, would be a bummer for sure but part of the territory I guess.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ha yea I certainly do, I’ll be sure to check that in the am, would be a bummer for sure but part of the territory I guess.
NOTHING and I do mean nothing, not rock crawling or anything silly like that will break things more or faster than speed.
I’m assuming should be pretty close to zero right?
Yeah, should be close to zero. If you check the passenger side, that should give you a pretty good reference.

I should note, if it's bent, it could just be the end forging and if it's just a bit off, you could always install an exotic/adjustable ball joint to help correct it. Or at least, until you can afford to upgrade.

Top Bottom