Integrated Windshield Radio Antenna - Yea or Nay?

Is an integrated windshield antenna something you'd want?

• Hell yeah! I hate the old school tree catcher that came on older Jeeps

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • eh, I'll pass - I go through way too many windshields

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • People still listen to AM/FM radio?

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who aren't aware, the all new 2024 Jeep JL Wranglers now have the radio antenna integrated into the windshield. This is only for the AM/FM radio and it was done to help prevent low hanging branches and car wash brushes from catching a standard antenna.

This is what it looks like.
jeep-antenna copy.jpg

And, while this is really nothing new, certainly, GM was doing this back in the 70's but they did stop the practice because... you guessed it, it upped the cost of replacing a broken windshield and by quite a bit.

That said, I know a lot of you have replaced your standard antenna with a stubby or removed it altogether and I'd like to know how you feel about this integrated windshield antenna. Is something you'd want?

Brute

Hooked
On a Jeep? No way. Unless it includes lifetime replacement at no charge.

I’d also add, what is this am/fm you speak of. lol. (Said in the voices of my children)
No kidding…after replacing the windshield 4-5 times for the life of the jeep, it’s gonna get pricey…

jeeeep

Hooked
that's an expensive solution, they should've focused on why the new design causes so many more windshield breaks just daily driving!

I've replaced the JL 3 times since 2018, I replaced my 2010 JKU twice, the second time because it had so many tiny chips it was causing too much star glare at night.

Jeeptime

To bad about the upgraded windshield.
I have never had a problem with the stock antenna on wife's jeep. We have been on many trails with a lot of pin stripping and never a problem.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Aesthetically, I prefer the antenna in the windscreen. However, I wouldn't want it if it increases the cost of replacement of a window known for breakage. From a practical point of view, it's "What's an AM/FM radio?" Haven't listened to either since the days of "Coast To Coast AM".

jamesrw30

I'm liking the stubby I put on. I don't want one in my windshield. To costly. Plus, like others have stated, am/FM is unused. I can't stand listening to the regular radio. More commercials than music and no real good stations around here.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I wonder how much the comprehensive coverage would go up just having that integrated… I don’t even listen to am/fm to care that much about the antenna lol I can’t even keep the same channel clear on my daily commute.

I might be weird but I like the look of an “old school” antenna that sticks way up into the sky and whips around as you fly through the desert. I still run an OE-ish length AM/FM antenna on my Jeep along with a 3’ CB antenna out the back too.

I think all this move is gonna do is cost A LOT more to replace and is something I think Jeep would capitalize on given the amount of windshields of theirs get replaced.

This isn’t to say I haven’t had it get caught on a branch and whip violently into my door frame or a-pillar paint (there is a single circular chip from one occasion 😅) but I just don’t like the look of a stubby and I even still need a signal since it doesn’t have Bluetooth and I use a 12V outlet adapter that tunes to 90.1 FM. Lol, or I’ll use CDs if I want crisp sound quality.

I’m also still on my original windshield 🫣😎

DaJudge

So many people complain about the antenna. I never can figure out why. It's an antenna, what do you want it to look like?
All this does is increase maintenance costs to fix a non-issue.
I have had the antenna on my XJ bent once in 18 years and it sticks up a lot more than the JT one does.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So many people complain about the antenna. I never can figure out why. It's an antenna, what do you want it to look like?
All this does is increase maintenance costs to fix a a non-issue.
I have had the antenna on my XJ bent once in 18 years and it sticks up a lot more than the JT one does.
I'm with you here. Still running the factory antennas on all my Jeeps. Never found it to be an issue.

Top Bottom