Integrated Windshield Radio Antenna - Yea or Nay?

Is an integrated windshield antenna something you'd want?

• Hell yeah! I hate the old school tree catcher that came on older Jeeps

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • eh, I'll pass - I go through way too many windshields

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • People still listen to AM/FM radio?

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

matt

Caught the Bug
Just to underscore the point, even driving through this wonderful tunnel of love, the factory antenna held up just fine.

💀

I remember doing this to my red 87 Toyota, I got a lot of it out but not all of it. It was never the same after that.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I think its a wasted effort - and they could have just spent the effort elsewhere (more seat padding maybe ? ) and left it alone, or maybe gave us a stubby antenna ? Or just pocketed the money.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Just to underscore the point, even driving through this wonderful tunnel of love, the factory antenna held up just fine.

That's horrible. Nails on a chalkboard. I had to stop watching.

I never had an issue with my antenna. I'm old; I still listen to the radio occationally. It is free, after all.

Dave

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's horrible. Nails on a chalkboard. I had to stop watching.

I never had an issue with my antenna. I'm old; I still listen to the radio occationally. It is free, after all.

Dave
LOL - it was even painful for me to watch again.

And, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's never had an issue with their antenna and still listens to radio too :ROFLMAO:

jeeeep

Hooked
I might be weird but I like the look of an “old school” antenna that sticks way up into the sky and whips around as you fly through the desert. I still run an OE-ish length AM/FM antenna on my Jeep along with a 3’ CB antenna out the back too.

I think all this move is gonna do is cost A LOT more to replace and is something I think Jeep would capitalize on given the amount of windshields of theirs get replaced.

This isn’t to say I haven’t had it get caught on a branch and whip violently into my door frame or a-pillar paint (there is a single circular chip from one occasion 😅) but I just don’t like the look of a stubby and I even still need a signal since it doesn’t have Bluetooth and I use a 12V outlet adapter that tunes to 90.1 FM. Lol, or I’ll use CDs if I want crisp sound quality.

I’m also still on my original windshield 🫣😎
anti-stubbite are you? LOL

jeeeep

Hooked
That's because you're tall :ROFLMAO:

Also, I take it that you don't have adaptive cruise control on your JT or 392? Because, as nice as it can be to have, that box drives me crazy!
I looked at a couple of JT's that had that, my JLU has rear visor autodim and the size of that bothers me.
The adaptive cruise was a big no, great feature but it grabs the focus of my squirrely eyes.

DaJudge

Not gonna lie, I thought I would get used to it but I haven't. The worst is when I go from something like Moby or our new Gladiator which doesn't have it and then get back in one of the other Jeeps that dose 😞
I test drove some and sat in more before I got mine. All of them had the adaptive Cruise, when I picked mine up I thought the windshield seemed bigger than I remembered from the test drives. (mine does not have it). It is definitely noticeable!

No one wants AM radio until there is a traffic jam or natural disaster. Then everyone is trying to remember which station to tune to.

No one wants AM radio until there is a traffic jam or natural disaster. Then everyone is trying to remember which station to tune to.
Is there anything useful on AM radio any more?

Survived the week of Texas deep freeze with 2 hours of heat per day.

The only communication we received was from the natural gas company, and the email recommended lowering the temperature on our water heater in order to save energy.

And this is while our elderly neighbor was soaking in hot water from his water heater just to stay alive!

So what info is the totally distinctional local government going to provide via AM radio, which they are already not providing via our cell phones (while they still had a charge)?

It is really not possible to watch TV when there is no power.

Is there anything useful on AM radio any more?

Survived the week of Texas deep freeze with 2 hours of heat per day.

The only communication we received was from the natural gas company, and the email recommended lowering the temperature on our water heater in order to save energy.

And this is while our elderly neighbor was soaking in hot water from his water heater just to stay alive!

So what info is the totally distinctional local government going to provide via AM radio, which they are already not providing via our cell phones (while they still had a charge)?

It is really not possible to watch TV when there is no power.
A quick search turned up a few things. “

Advantages and Disadvantages of AM and FM Radio​

The Benefits of AM Radio​

Many people believe that AM radio is outdated and no longer relevant in today’s world. However, there are still many benefits to the AM radio frequency range that make it worth considering.

For one, AM radio signals can travel much further than FM signals. This means that you can often get a better signal if you are in a rural area or if there are tall buildings or other obstructions between you and the broadcasting tower. Another benefit of an AM radio frequency is that the waves transmitted are less susceptible to interference from things like electrical equipment or lightning. This makes AM radio a good choice for emergency broadcasts.

The Shortcomings of AM Radio​

One of the main limitations of AM radio broadcasts is susceptibility to atmospheric conditions, which can cause them to fade in and out. AM waves carry the signal in the sidebands, while the rest of the wave contains no information. As such, AM broadcasts consume more power and are non-efficient in that sense. Finally, AM audio signals aren’t as clear and crisp as FM signals.”
Frankly, I rely on HAM radio but most people aren’t licensed. Biggest arguments to keep AM are Emergency Alerts and traffic information. Generally, mobile APPS can due this until something happens to their infrastructure. Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack the original thread.

Top Bottom