Is RCV feeding me BS?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only shame to all this is that replacement shafts won't fix the problem. They're just gonna twist again or worse. I have to wonder how many times they'll replace them.

BigPrince

Sucks this happened for sure but..

Rule #1

If you buy something from Northridge4x4 please give us a call directly before contacting the MFG. Honestly calling the MFG should be your last resort only if the Vendor does not help you.

Please email me directly with your name , address and pictures and I will get this warrantied for you .

David@northridge4x4.com

Thanks
David

I have ordered 95% of my big parts from Northridge and have been completely satisfied. Knowing you guys are going to be there when I have an issue like this just assuaged my fears of installing the RCVs I just bought from y'all and ensured you get the next 10k in business planned from me. Thank you.

JKbrick

The only shame to all this is that replacement shafts won't fix the problem. They're just gonna twist again or worse. I have to wonder how many times they'll replace them.

Does a good quality chromoly shaft have built in twist like this? I would look at that and toss it if it were mine I think

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does a good quality chromoly shaft have built in twist like this? I would look at that and toss it if it were mine I think

ANY and ALL shafts can and will twist at the splines IF you play hard enough and IF something else doesn't break first. Typically, you only see something like this on rear shafts as they see a lot more stress but EVERYONE I KNOW would see this as something that has failed and needs to be replaced. The problem isn't so much that these RCV's twisted at the splines, it's that they charge a HUGE premium for their shafts, sell people on the idea that they're worth it by telling them they have a so called lifetime warranty and then try to suggest that there's nothing wrong the shafts once they do twist and won't replace them UNTIL they actually break. Of course, by then you will most likely have jacked up other parts of your axle and NONE OF THAT is something they will cover. :rolleyes2:

OJK12

I know RCV won't be getting any of my money! The price is not worth the payoff, or their warranty.

Sorry for my delayed response(s).

There is a bit more back story that will prevent Northridge from being able to bail us out. To be honest, (and while I think it is awesome they stepped up) I still feel the responsible party is the MFG.

The facts are:

I have a set of RCV D30 shafts that have around 5k miles and one wheeling trip on them.

Both CVs feel rough and need rebuilt and the splines are twisted.

RCV has a "LIMITED NO QUESTIONS ASKED" warranty. It seems the "limited" means there WILL be questions that results in warranty denial.

The damage was done while running 35" Goodyear Duratracs which are a non aggressive and fairly light tire. My wife was driving and is not a throttle jockey. Sure, we were on a challenging trail, but this was hardly what I would call abuse. BTW: this Jeep has cheap 1310 u joints on the driveshaft, so those believing they have a "fuse" are mistaken.

When you talk to RCV about the issue they will tell you twisting is normal and okay. Yet, they will try to up sell you a higher strength material shafts and sink yet more money into a crappy D30. They will also tell you CV issues are considered "wear" and are not covered. No consideration of up keep (which was good) or mileage (low) will be given.

The only "assistance" we were offered was a free CV rebuild IF we buy the "stronger" shafts and ship them to them or (if we chose to run the twisted splines) we could get 50% of the second rebuild kit.

No matter how you shake a stick at it, these are hardly the "last shafts we will ever need" and I'm saddened at their lack of integrity.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow, one wheeling trip and toast, really sucks rcv won't make this right.

Yea it sucks. I was with them last weekend and Alana wasn't pushing it to hard at all. The fact that she twisted the shafts is surprising since they are the "strongest shafts on the market".

So, are you saying that Northridge won't be able to help you out after all??

Doesn't sound like it :naw:

So, are you saying that Northridge won't be able to help you out after all??

I don't believe so, (the back story) they were not purchased directly from us. They were purchased as part of a larger deal with a buddy for Alana's Jeep. David was unable to find where they were purchased and the buddy can't find proof either.

I certainly don't blame Northridge for wanting proof of purchase, but I'm unable to provide it.

This said, they were purchased new for Alana's Jeep and we can personally account for their entire life. We just didn't make the actual purchase (directly anyway).

Indefatigable

I had the same twist happen to my non-RCV front shaft. It was broke and like yours, still in one piece. Think of the shafts as two metals. The outer hardened has broke along that line where the straight splines make that immediate angle and then you see the twist. The inner metal is not hardened and thus will twist more before breaking off, but it is just a matter of loading it up nicely before it pops.
I was sent a replacement shaft within a week. Not much in the way of questions, did not have to supply the old shaft back.

I always thought these things stronger and would have expected the axle joint to go long before a front shaft twisting/breaking such as this....

LeighP

One look at the permanent twist in those axles, and the obvious wear damage to the splines and I'd consider them as not fit for re-use, no matter if you rebuilt the CV (at 5000 miles, thats a joke in itself).
This confirms the opinion of a member on my local Jeep forum who found these were an "expensive lesson", and doesn't recommend them.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
To be honest, I am just whining and hoping something will magically change.... I am not sure what my next step is.

I am currently reading through my old metallurgy book to see if I can prove they have failed.

The splines have gone through plastic deformation. They have failed. Full stop.

Hopefully your problems get resolved!

ETA: Just read the rest of the thread, that sucks man!

Last edited:
The splines have gone through plastic deformation. They have failed. Full stop.

Hopefully your problems get resolved!

It is (sort of)... I ended up negotiating new inner shafts and CV rebuild kits for a discounted price. Believe me; I wasn't happy with putting more money out on a D30 or these shafts, but this was the cheapest way to get the Jeep running in 4WD again.

Our long term plans will be to remove the D30 but for now I just need to get the Jeep fixed.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
ANY and ALL shafts can and will twist at the splines IF you play hard enough and IF something else doesn't break first. Typically, you only see something like this on rear shafts as they see a lot more stress but EVERYONE I KNOW would see this as something that has failed and needs to be replaced. The problem isn't so much that these RCV's twisted at the splines, it's that they charge a HUGE premium for their shafts, sell people on the idea that they're worth it by telling them they have a so called lifetime warranty and then try to suggest that there's nothing wrong the shafts once they do twist and won't replace them UNTIL they actually break. Of course, by then you will most likely have jacked up other parts of your axle and NONE OF THAT is something they will cover. :rolleyes2:

I know RCV won't be getting any of my money! The price is not worth the payoff, or their warranty.

Sorry for my delayed response(s).

There is a bit more back story that will prevent Northridge from being able to bail us out. To be honest, (and while I think it is awesome they stepped up) I still feel the responsible party is the MFG.

The facts are:

I have a set of RCV D30 shafts that have around 5k miles and one wheeling trip on them.

Both CVs feel rough and need rebuilt and the splines are twisted.

RCV has a "LIMITED NO QUESTIONS ASKED" warranty. It seems the "limited" means there WILL be questions that results in warranty denial.

The damage was done while running 35" Goodyear Duratracs which are a non aggressive and fairly light tire. My wife was driving and is not a throttle jockey. Sure, we were on a challenging trail, but this was hardly what I would call abuse. BTW: this Jeep has cheap 1310 u joints on the driveshaft, so those believing they have a "fuse" are mistaken.

When you talk to RCV about the issue they will tell you twisting is normal and okay. Yet, they will try to up sell you a higher strength material shafts and sink yet more money into a crappy D30. They will also tell you CV issues are considered "wear" and are not covered. No consideration of up keep (which was good) or mileage (low) will be given.

The only "assistance" we were offered was a free CV rebuild IF we buy the "stronger" shafts and ship them to them or (if we chose to run the twisted splines) we could get 50% of the second rebuild kit.

No matter how you shake a stick at it, these are hardly the "last shafts we will ever need" and I'm saddened at their lack of integrity.

Once again, this forum pulls through in helping me make good sound decisions.

It is because of this thread that has caused me to change my mind (I was already on the fence about RCV) to switch from RCV shafts to G2 Axle & Gear 35 spline Dana 44 front axle shafts (Unless there is another non-RCV option, which I have not found). I see that the RCV joint is sound and well built, but then at what point do you want your break. I imagine breaking a axle shaft will still let me get home. I have heard this from more than one source but mostly from this forum.

Thank you guys for being a HUGE wealth of information and personally thank you to JNABIRD for sharing your misfortune. Just know that you helped a fellow off-roader to make a very informed decision that will hopefully keep me away from trouble a little bit longer. Thank you.

Top Bottom