Jeep JK Wrangler 2.5" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up

RamP

As stated. It'll fit. Just make sure you also get his longer shocks or the shock extensions. As for the brake lines. The kit should include the rear extension brackets. I ordered front brackets from northridge 4x4. Made by synergy.
A0FBEEEB-EF56-4B12-BAF9-96889FC6A1B1-4746-000003528DA16486_zps623cf147.jpg

I've had no problems at all with these.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I thought. But then I had read someone saying they had difficulty installing on a 2012? Some issue with brake line extensions.

I have never installed an aftermarket lift. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be missing anything.

You shouldn't have to extend your front brake lines with just a 2.5" BB - just the rear. If you are getting enough droop to need your front lines extended, you have too much droop and will need to address your front drive shaft as well. Even at that, simply re-routing your lines off the axle and around the shock like was the case for 2007-10 JK's will be enough to do the job without having to buy or install anything else.

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks for the replies.

Do the teraflex shocks (9550s) have any value? The used kit I found, the seller has the shocks and not the adapter package. Thinking I could re-sell em? Or just offer less and the seller can keep the shocks. I have a Rubi and thought the Rubi shocks are better than the TF 9550 ones?:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies.

Do the teraflex shocks (9550s) have any value? The used kit I found, the seller has the shocks and not the adapter package. Thinking I could re-sell em? Or just offer less and the seller can keep the shocks. I have a Rubi and thought the Rubi shocks are better than the TF 9550 ones?:thinking:

The 9550's are just basic shocks and wouldn't be worth anything to me.

JAGS

Hooked
The 9550's are just basic shocks and wouldn't be worth anything to me.

You mean you wouldn't trade your coilovers for them. WTF! :cheesy::cheesy: So I'm staying with my Rubi shocks then? Will just need to get adapters if the deal happens.

ttfhell

You mean you wouldn't trade your coilovers for them. WTF! :cheesy::cheesy: So I'm staying with my Rubi shocks then? Will just need to get adapters if the deal happens.

JAGS,
Might be more than what you want to do but my 4" Teraflex take-off lift with shocks/coils and brake lines is sitting in my garage. Been too lazy to list it for sale yet. I'd give you the Joshua Tree Trail Leader discount. That being said you would need front lowers and rear upper control arms and a front drive shaft. And maybe a ladder as their 4" kit seemed like 5-1/2" but I'm only 5' on a good day.
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NY1982JK

I just went ahead and ordered this kit. The one I ordered comes with the two new rear sway bar links as stated in the writeup. My question is this. Is it safe to assume that the factory front links are long enough to deal with the new 2.5BB? Or will I need to go ahead and order some JKS quick-disco's in order to finish the install? Sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread. Appreciate the help! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just went ahead and ordered this kit. The one I ordered comes with the two new rear sway bar links as stated in the writeup. My question is this. Is it safe to assume that the factory front links are long enough to deal with the new 2.5BB? Or will I need to go ahead and order some JKS quick-disco's in order to finish the install? Sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread. Appreciate the help! :thumb:

After you install the new rear links, you take the factory rear links and install them up front :yup:

NY1982JK

Some quick disco's are on the soon to purchase list. I just know I wont have them ordered by the time my lift comes in. I wanna get the BB and 35's on first. The light wheeling I do right now wont really require much articulation to justify an IMMEDIATE purchase of them. They will probably be the next order after I get some Toyo M/T's on her :D

Oh and thanks Eddie for the quick response. I figured there had to be something I was missing. Seemed kinda odd a BB kit would include only one set of links. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.... (G.I. Jooooeeeeeeeeee!!!!)

Tackerdown

Banned
Thats what I did for my install. I will say if your going to rausch at all the disco will come in handy. an easy way to do it is gust bring a some wrenches with you and take the nut off and some heavy wire ties to strap them up with. I'm not sure but I think its a 18mm and a 19mm wrench.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thats what I did for my install. I will say if your going to rausch at all the disco will come in handy. an easy way to do it is gust bring a some wrenches with you and take the nut off and some heavy wire ties to strap them up with. I'm not sure but I think its a 18mm and a 19mm wrench.

yea it is an 18mm and 19mm

NY1982JK

Thats what I was thinking of doing for now if I go before I get some disco's. But most of my wheeling is just out in Wharton where stock flex is more than enough.

The way I'm looking at it, I can spend 5 minutes disconnecting my factory links when the time arises whereas there's nothing I can really do to make my stock SR-A's grip like M/T's.

Really appreciate all the input!!

JethroJK

What exactly is missing and how did you remedy. I thought the kit came with brake brackets to extend the drop.

Overlander has line extensions but also a different set up with likely more articulation/brake line pull.

Sorry it took so long to reply didn't see your question. The brakes in question here are the front brakes. The kit comes with rear brake drops and they work ok. TF says that the front brakes are ok in their factory location with the 2.5 BB. Too close for my comfort. They were really taunt and that was the Jeep sitting in the garage. Would hate to see at full flex. The remedy was I pulled the brakes behind the shock and spring and tethered off to the frame mount for the brakes. Works fine and haven't had any issues.

JAGS

Hooked
^^^ ha ha. Cool. I think WOL did something similar way back in the day when he ran it. Thanks for the updated post!

jeep.r

You shouldn't have to extend your front brake lines with just a 2.5" BB - just the rear. If you are getting enough droop to need your front lines extended, you have too much droop and will need to address your front drive shaft as well. Even at that, simply re-routing your lines off the axle and around the shock like was the case for 2007-10 JK's will be enough to do the job without having to buy or install anything else.

Worth mentioning for folks with 2013 (maybe 2012's toos?):

I just finished the 2.5" BB on a 2013 JKU Rubicon. The front is pretty tight using the factory brake line mount. I'll have to test a bit, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use the electronic disconnect with stock brake lines this way. The stock rubi shocks have more travel than the brake line will allow in this configuration. I had a 2010 2dr before, and the new jeeps have a bracket mount for the axel that is crimped onto the brake line (not removable without some work) and then mounts with a 10mm bolt. Routing behind the shock with that crimped-on bracket in place seemed like a bad idea (at the least it would rattle), and prying the bracket off the line seemed a bit risky with the tools I had on hand, so I'll need to revisit this.

RamP

^^^Thats the reason I went with the front bracket extensions for the brake lines. I noticed the same thing.

Top Bottom