Jeep JL Wrangler to be available with a 300 HP Hurricane Turbo Four

JeepFan

Hooked
Lol! While I have to agree across the board, I am left wondering if you have had morning gin. Your posts are always more animated after some gin. ;)

And yes, I'm all about the V8.

LOL!! No Gin yet.. Maybe too much coffee this morning. I'm all jittery; especially after reading this post. I mean, what is the Jeep world coming too? A 4000lb J? with a 4 Banger and a turbo? Must be a mean Joke! Don't even get me started on aluminium body panels!! Okay, maybe IFS/IRS! But Jeep tried that once for 3 seconds. Where is it now, in a fuxking museum?

LOL!! This for sure ^^^^
Bring on the HEMI and I can assure you that people will buy it :thumb:

Mmmmmmmmmm HEMI! I'd buy one in a heart beat!

I personally think that this engine will increase the base price, more technology = more $. Truth be told FCA is somewhat unlimited on what they can charge looking at the overall sales of the JK over the years.

You're right, didn't think about that. Isn't Ford charging more for the turbo 4 Mustang than the V6?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! No Gin yet.. Maybe too much coffee this morning. I'm all jittery; especially after reading this post. I mean, what is the Jeep world coming too? A 4000lb J? with a 4 Banger and a turbo? Must be a mean Joke! Don't even get me started on aluminium body panels!! Okay, maybe IFS/IRS! But Jeep tried that once for 3 seconds. Where is it now, in a fuxking museum?

Mmmmmmmmmm HEMI! I'd buy one in a heart beat!

:cheesy: :clap2: :thumb:

JeepFan

Hooked
Lol. Agreed. The demand for a v8 among Jeep owner's has always been there. You'd think they would have listened by now.

You know, everyone is all v8 this v8 that... death to the v6, 4 bangers blow... blah blah blah...

Well maybe if we use reverse psychology... and say death to v8's and their dumb awesome power, jeep will ditch the 4 banger and put an 8 cyl in. I actually would like to see a inline 6 again, even with a turbo it would be fun! It might not be practical for Moab, the Rubicon, etc but for top down beach cruising... Every jeep is set up how the owner wants, I just wish Jeep would give us more factory motor options and axle choices....

I have an idea... Let's start a petition to get the Jeep execs to watch the VIDEO - MOBY in MOAB : Golden Spike Jeep Trail / DOUBLE WHAMMY until their eyes bleed. Maybe they'll get the message. :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
I have an idea... Let's start a petition to get the Jeep execs to watch the VIDEO - MOBY in MOAB : Golden Spike Jeep Trail / DOUBLE WHAMMY until their eyes bleed. Maybe they'll get the message. :cheesy:

Lol. And we could have Al Gore sponsor it, so it makes the Jeep look more environmentally friendly too! :thumb:

JeepFan

Hooked
If they put a small geometry turbo on the 4 cyl, I think it would be a low end torque monster and would be awesome for wheeling!

You know, I started to agree with this and then I thought....

1. I'll get a fully loaded Rubicon
2. I'll lift it 3.5"
3. Install 37" tires.
4. Install all EVO aluminum body armor.
5. Winch
6. etc etc etc...

Then, for my first adventure to Moab, I'll load it up with all my camping gear and other crap that barely fits. I'll bring a few spare parts like (a turbo, assortment of nuts and bolts, sector shaft) you know, the essentials.

It would be awesome!

In all seriousness, I understand what you mean and, while I think it would be cool to drive a stock Jeep with a Turbo charged 4 cylinder on the street, I don't think it would be much fun for wheeling. Most of us bought these things so we can build them up and take them places most people would rather avoid.

Right?

But that's just me and I'm hoped up on GIN! ;)

Recurve

Every bit of news about the "new" Wrangler makes me happy with my decision to buy the 2016 now. We have been hearing a lot and while new technology can be great, the added issues with new designs that have not been tried bring up all kinds of issues. I have owned and also own a few Turbo aspirated engines (WRX's and now the VW Tiguan) and must say that they are just not designed for off-road.

I agree that there are issues with a dusty environment and the turbo. The turbo's, spinning at 120,000 RPM are held together with liquid bearings, making the need for clean oil critical. Any wearing in that bearing creates a ton of issues with the turbos. I am curious if they can reduce turbo lag though with the variable fin and dual turbo technologies, but at what cost? I already have 285 horses in my current 2016 so why pay a ton more for that extra 15 horses. While I do see some cost savings on the back end, I would need to drive a certain amount of miles to just recoup my costs. For example, I was looking closely at a TDI model for the Toureg. It was $20,000 more!! So that meant that I would NEVER see a cost savings and the TDI would just be cool (until VW ran into their nefarious practices, ahem.)

So for me, as a recent consumer, I am so glad I got my JK now before all of the craziness. :D

Wait... You just said the Wrx is not designed for off-road? You relize the Wrx is the civilian version of the legendary WRC Wrx rally car right? They have the same motors , just one is built out the ass. Those cars spend 98% of their life plowing through dirt clouds. Their turbos do just fine. Now when you say off-roading do you mean rock crawling ? Then I see your point.
Just Wrx was made for dirt.

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
Wait... You just said the Wrx is not designed for off-road? You relize the Wrx is the civilian version of the legendary WRC Wrx rally car right? They have the same motors , just one is built out the ass. Those cars spend 98% of their life plowing through dirt clouds. Their turbos do just fine. Now when you say off-roading do you mean rock crawling ? Then I see your point.

But how many times do those motors get rebuilt?

2. I'll lift it 3.5"
3. Install 37" tires.
5. Winch
6. etc etc etc...

Then, for my first adventure to Moab, I'll load it up with all my camping gear and other crap that barely fits. I'll bring a few spare parts like (a turbo, assortment of nuts and bolts, sector shaft) you know, the essentials.

It would be awesome!

In all seriousness, I understand what you mean and, while I think it would be cool to drive a stock Jeep with a Turbo charged 4 cylinder on the street, I don't think it would be much fun for wheeling. Most of us bought these things so we can build them up and take them places most people would rather avoid.

Right?

Yeah thats a good point. It would have no balls once the Jeep was lifted on big tires and weighed down. So the answer is V8 lol

Sithwindu

Aside for being a motor for the new jl, how does everyone feel about this motor for the wrangler pickup? That seems to have more appeal in my opinion

Recurve

But how many times do those motors get rebuilt?
Any motor will need rebuilt after a certain amount of extreme abuse . Also is that even a complaint? When 3.6 motors in the jk now are being rebuilt under 100,000 miles an they are not turbo charge so what's the problem here?.. I think it's all in the quality an how well built it comes from the factory.
If turbos were a problem in the dirt, then why are all the race teams running turbo motors? Why not just light v8s? Or some type of other NA platform? It works, an WRC take serious abuse.
Now river crossings, big mud holes, rock crawling is completely different an I feel it's best reserved for a healthy NA v8.

2. I'll lift it 3.5"
3. Install 37" tires.
5. Winch
6. etc etc etc...

It would be awesome!

Right?

I've got a buddy that is running 38" Super Swampers on his YJ with a 2.5, AX5, & 5:38 gears. He doesn't use 4th or 5th gear anymore lol

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I know this is an engine configuration thread but may I just say that I do like that concept top in the first post.

I'd like for my hard top to have the ability to take the side and rear glass out.

Hobolobo

While I do agree with 99.9% of this post, I would like to point out that rally does not necessarily equal off road. By that I mean its still a "road" just a dirt one that is still relatively well packed down.

I know this is an engine configuration thread but may I just say that I do like that concept top in the first post.

I'd like for my hard top to have the ability to take the side and rear glass out.

Would it be the same mechanism as they have on the renegade with the MySky panels?

While I do agree with 99.9% of this post, I would like to point out that rally does not necessarily equal off road. By that I mean its still a "road" just a dirt one that is still relatively well packed down.

I don't know man, i've seen some rallies with some pretty nasty muddy and bumpy terrain, rally cars take a pretty good beating. But they certainly couldn't take on the big obstacles that Jeeps can!

I have seen some pretty gnarly Subarus on 40's in Moab though lol

Top Bottom