Jeep, Stars, Night Scenes

Rlestino

Awesome pics! What camera/lens do you use?

Hi Josh, settings below:

1. Set the lens' focal length to wide-field (18mm)
2. Exposure time 30"
3. Lens f-ratio (or f-stop/f-value) to its lowest value (set to widest opening of the iris to accommodate more light, e.g. F/1.8 is more preferred than f/10)
4. Set the camera ISO value to moderate. I usually shoot at ISO 1600
5. Check that the camera's flash remains off
6. Use a tripod and make sure it's sturdy and won't shake easily
7. Since the camera's auto focus will not work in this case, you need to set the camera's focus to manual mode. 8. Set the lens focus to infinity. Since the milky way is too much faint, set the focus to a brighter target (e.g. Any bright star). Turn the focus ring clockwise or counterclockwise to bring any bright star into focus.
9. Point the camera to the general direction of the milky way
10. Turn on the cameras time delay feature to avoid shaking (10 second delay will do)
11. When ready, press the shutter to take your shot. In this case, the camera will expose for 30 seconds. During exposure, you must not allow any stray light to reach the camera sensor, and certainly not allow the camera to move or shake. You may need to shoot several shots for proper framing.

Please post your pics soon!

Cheers!

Rlestino

Would like to hear about your camera and lens.

Canon 450D. You may use use lens with varying focal lengths that will allow you for closeup e.g 50 mm and panoramic shots 18mm. You may also choose wider field lenses lower than 18mm to capture both milky way and some nice foreground.

Rlestino

Where are you from? I'd say Aussi or South African if I were to take guess. I met a SA guy in Dubai about Dubai about 6 or 7 years ago selling a very nice TJ. What rig do you drive?

Hi, good guess but not good enough lol. I am from Philippines. Got JKUX 2014 with simple mods designed for desert.

Let me know if you are coming back.

Rlestino

Hi Josh, settings below:

1. Set the lens' focal length to wide-field (18mm)
2. Exposure time 30"
3. Lens f-ratio (or f-stop/f-value) to its lowest value (set to widest opening of the iris to accommodate more light, e.g. F/1.8 is more preferred than f/10)
4. Set the camera ISO value to moderate. I usually shoot at ISO 1600
5. Check that the camera's flash remains off
6. Use a tripod and make sure it's sturdy and won't shake easily
7. Since the camera's auto focus will not work in this case, you need to set the camera's focus to manual mode. 8. Set the lens focus to infinity. Since the milky way is too much faint, set the focus to a brighter target (e.g. Any bright star). Turn the focus ring clockwise or counterclockwise to bring any bright star into focus.
9. Point the camera to the general direction of the milky way
10. Turn on the cameras time delay feature to avoid shaking (10 second delay will do)
11. When ready, press the shutter to take your shot. In this case, the camera will expose for 30 seconds. During exposure, you must not allow any stray light to reach the camera sensor, and certainly not allow the camera to move or shake. You may need to shoot several shots for proper framing.

Please post your pics soon!

Cheers!

Josh, when i came came back with your questions, oops... Pardon me being crazy on settings. I had answered your question on one of the post in this thread.

SilverBack

Hi, good guess but not good enough lol. I am from Philippines. Got JKUX 2014 with simple mods designed for desert.

Let me know if you are coming back.

Damn, the cheers at the end got me!!! What are you doing over there? I will drop you a line of I come back and I'll bring my wife and JKUR with me as well as my dog. Good luck and stay cool... Well as cool as you can there.

Rlestino

Damn, the cheers at the end got me!!! What are you doing over there? I will drop you a line of I come back and I'll bring my wife and JKUR with me as well as my dog. Good luck and stay cool... Well as cool as you can there.

I work in the oilfield industry. Weather is getting really hot now. But we don't stop rolling even though it's 50'C. As what we say here "keep the sands flying".

Cheers mate! (Lol)

Josh27

Josh, when i came came back with your questions, oops... Pardon me being crazy on settings. I had answered your question on one of the post in this thread.

Haha no problem! Im already pretty familiar with photography here is one of my pics:
DSC_0007.jpg

Josh27

I like your photo!
A combination of beast JK and astrophotography. Perfectly blended in a beautiful landscape. Two thumbs up for this! Where is this place?

Thanks! It is flathead pass outside of Bozeman Montana! I only have a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55. It does pretty good for what it is!

Top Bottom