Jeep, Stars, Night Scenes

This thread is making me want to go out and get a solid camera. All the pics my wife and I take are on our iPhones.

Suggestions on a solid camera within, say, a $500 budget? There are so many options.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
This thread is making me want to go out and get a solid camera. All the pics my wife and I take are on our iPhones.

Suggestions on a solid camera within, say, a $500 budget? There are so many options.

Take a look at refurbished Canon or Nikon. You can get a lot of bang for your buck that way.

Really this is another empty every pocket hobby I don't need... It pairs so well with off roading though!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The noise reduction feature in cameras are garbage, waste of your time running two exposures and also wastes your battery, youre better off using the GIMP noise reduction. But you never know, you may like the way it comes out on your specific camera. just my opinion. I barely have enough patience to run a 30 second exposure let alone twice lol

i wouldnt go past 1600 on your camera for sure, but id still play with it. And if you are serious about getting better shots, throw that kit lens off the cliff LOL. kit lenses are literally the worst lenses for night shots. You should aim for something that goes down to f/2.8 atleaset. maybe a wide angle.

Also , the infinity mark on the lens isnt precise when you focus it on the stars, it will actually be off, so moving it yourself to the infinity mark would do nothing basically. you always want to shoot and zoom into your photo to check aswell. once you feel its sharp lock that bad boy into manual and keep it there.

I didn't even know that's how it worked lol sounds excruciatingly slow. I might torture myself a time or two just to say I tried. One of these days I'll look into a new lens, but I'll have to make due with this one for a while. At least until I figure out what I like and what I need. Like wheeling a stock Jeep before you start the upgrades [emoji6]

JDalcour

Very nice! How many images did you stack?

I ran a 25 second exposure for the stars/sky at f/2.8 iso3200

Foreground 60 seconds to pull out shadows

seperate exposure to flip the lights on at f/4 iso800 10 seconds.

stacked in photosop

With that Budget id shoot for a used Nikon D5100 or D3100 and a 35mmm f/1.8 lens, or a little more and get a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, it will be great for jeep shots and night photos.

I didn't even know that's how it worked lol sounds excruciatingly slow. I might torture myself a time or two just to say I tried. One of these days I'll look into a new lens, but I'll have to make due with this one for a while. At least until I figure out what I like and what I need. Like wheeling a stock Jeep before you start the upgrades [emoji6]

Yeah it basically takes 2 photos and trys to fix the noise its self. takes time and battery but could help alot on a smaller camera. id rather use noise reduction myself in a program.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Your pictures really make me want to go to Big Bend.
Great photo, the headlights are a nice touch.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
No, we didn't have time. We had less than a day there unfortunately. We're planning on making another trip out there in the future and we'll get to explore a little more. It's a huge area!

Thats too bad, its a fun place to explore.

LBL is massive! Really cool history there

Wethy

Thats a nice photo. Heres a couple ive taken.
The star trails were taken with a gopro hero5 black and the milky way was with a D750. Unfortunately theres a lot of noise in the milky was as it was taken at f4 and the iso was way up at like 2800.

Since picked up a f2.4 14mm lens and thats gotten rid of a lot of the noise with the night skies. StarStax%201.jpeg LRM_EXPORT_92439497426114_20190617_151422913.jpeg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Thats a nice photo. Heres a couple ive taken.
The star trails were taken with a gopro hero5 black and the milky way was with a D750. Unfortunately theres a lot of noise in the milky was as it was taken at f4 and the iso was way up at like 2800.

Since picked up a f2.4 14mm lens and thats gotten rid of a lot of the noise with the night skies.

Awesome! Didn't even know the GoPro could do long exposures like that. I just got a 50mm f/1.8 that I'm anxious to try out. I have to find some darker skies first though...

Top Bottom