Jeep, Stars, Night Scenes

JDalcour

I know this thread is old, but i wouldnt consider running a 30 second exposure on your dslr camera "Astrophotography"

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Ha, when I first looked at it I thought you just put up a black square which would've been pretty funny. Great thread revival though. Need more pics like these.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Haha That would've been pretty good. I might have been able to brighten it up with post processing software, but I haven't figured that part out yet :doh: I'm trying not to spend money on software.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I know this thread is old, but i wouldnt consider running a 30 second exposure on your dslr camera "Astrophotography"

Nice photo, not so nice condescending attitude. Astrophotography: the use of photography in astronomy; the photographing of celestial objects and phenomena. I think stars qualify.

Last edited:

JDalcour

Nice photo, not so nice condescending attitude. Astrophotography: the use of photography in astronomy; the photographing of celestial objects and phenomena. I think stars qualify.
I had literally never picked up a DSLR until this week, so bravo to you for having more practice and probably much better equiptment.

Didnt mean to be condescending. Its just more so a photo of the sky with stars in it, versus a photo of a singular object in space. "Wide angle astrophotography" as some seem to call it.

I wish i had the equipment to go into deep sky astro tracking for photos of single stars and nebulae. Even with a 200mm lens its rather difficult to see anything.

You'd be surprised how many people seriously label themselves "Astrophotographers" when they have never took a photo of a single object other than a wide angle of the milky way. Its just a pet peeve for photographers and astronomy folk.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Didnt mean to be condescending. Its just more so a photo of the sky with stars in it, versus a photo of a singular object in space. "Wide angle astrophotography" as some seem to call it.

I wish i had the equipment to go into deep sky astro tracking for photos of single stars and nebulae. Even with a 200mm lens its rather difficult to see anything.

You'd be surprised how many people seriously label themselves "Astrophotographers" when they have never took a photo of a single object other than a wide angle of the milky way. Its just a pet peeve for photographers and astronomy folk.

What lens did you use for the photo you posted above, and the other night photo you posted near a creek?

Stotch

Caught the Bug

OK, maybe I misread your comment then :hmm:

I am not an "astrophotographer" or even a "photographer"; I'm just a guy with a camera and a Jeep :idontknow:

It is difficult to see deep sky objects with just a camera, we got a little look at Andromeda, but you really need a motorized telescope to do much.

JDalcour

What lens did you use for the photo you posted above, and the other night photo you posted near a creek?

note sure which creek you are talking about but most of my night shots are with my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8.
Absolute beast of a lens and price, but so worth it and so sharp.

Alot of lenses have issues with making a vignette at night, and also stars in the corners arent as sharp with cheap glass, they bend in the corners turning them into pill shapes. real bad distortion aswell. If you want a really good lens for star work dont cheap out on glass.

JDalcour

OK, maybe I misread your comment then :hmm:

I am not an "astrophotographer" or even a "photographer"; I'm just a guy with a camera and a Jeep :idontknow:

It is difficult to see deep sky objects with just a camera, we got a little look at Andromeda, but you really need a motorized telescope to do much.

Yeap i was refering to the thread title, hence why i said "i know this is an old thread"

WJCO

Meme King

:thumb: I didn't even know what the fuck Astrophotography was. I had to Google it.Picture of some stars and shit is good enough for me.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
:thumb: I didn't even know what the fuck Astrophotography was. I had to Google it.Picture of some stars and shit is good enough for me.

:cheesy: That's what I thought too! Apparently I didn't know the right lingo.

So, to get a Jeep in a photo with the stars should we rename this thread Jeeps & Wide Angle Astrophotography?

I think those are the photos we all want to see here on a Jeep forum.

WJCO

Meme King
:cheesy: That's what I thought too! Apparently I didn't know the right lingo.

So, to get a Jeep in a photo with the stars should we rename this thread Jeeps & Wide Angle Astrophotography?

I think those are the photos we all want to see here on a Jeep forum.

I just removed the word. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

swampdog

Call it what you want, all I know is I like this style of photography. You skilled nerds keep it up, I dig it!

JDalcour

Lol its not really a big deal , I wasnt here to fact check anyone, just wanted to state the differences for people still learning like yourself and I.
Its kinda like driving up your gravel driveway and then saying you went off roading lol.

Of course you have probably never heard of it before if it doesnt relate to any of your interests or hobbies. You wouldnt of had to google it if you put the two words together, Astronomy and Photography lol. It just steers more to objects in space, far, far , far away.

The photo i took was in Big Bend, one of the few official "dark sky" parks in the world.

Top Bottom