JK-Experience 2012

GCM 2

bleedbeat said:
JK-Experience just announced the next invited guests - Congrats to Frank and Brenda!

Awesome, get ready for the adventure my brother! Congratulations to getting the invite :)

Thanks Cindy and Greg we are so honored to have been selected! :D For years watching you guys participate in not only grueling terrain but also experiencing parts of the country few get the opportunity to explore so to say we are excited would be an understatement! :yup:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

GCM 2

Thank's guys we are so honored to have been selected! Not sure what to expect...we have seen all the JKX videos and read about the adventures in the magazines but I'm sure there's so many untold stories :thinking: and lessons learned that we don't know about. We started our list of spares list and think we can't be too prepared...I'm sure this will be an experience of a life time! :yup:

Frank,
Here is the "what to expect" list;
-expect to have a great time.

This is me being Captain Obvious, not trying to offend anyone's offroading experience, but here is kind of my minimum for the big epic trip "list of spares" and "to do lists";

Little ticket items =
-positive attitude
-change fluids if you are even close: diffs, engine oil, etc. it's cheap insurance
-grease everything!
-spare fluids, all of them that your jeep takes
-if you don't run an Atlas transfer case, take a 2-3 of the plastic bushing/clips that attach the transfer case shifter cable to the shifter and shift linkage on the case. They are about 13¢ a piece, part #68064273AA
-better (but more costly) Advanced Adapters JK transfer case shifter cable.
-extra engine serpentine belt (also for future reference, take a photo with your phone of the way the belt is supposed to be routed, or use a paint marker to draw on the plastic radiator cowling a diagram of how the serpentine runs thru the pulleys. I have both)
-extra lengths of 3/8" fuel line, I keep at least 3 feet, make sure its fuel line, because that is high pressure hose, not just rubber tubing. 3/8" seems to be the most common used for aftermarket trans and power steering coolers etc.
-zip ties, buy a variety pack
-gorilla tape or good quality duct tape.
-survival tape
-fuses assort.
-tire plug kit
-solenoids for an ARB if you run that type of traction aid device
-all the standard minimum required recovery equip.

Big ticket items (not necessary, but if you got 'em, bring it);
-bigger positive attitude for the Debbie Downers out there bringing the bad karma with them
-spare u joints
-spare rear drive shaft, you can get off the trail and home. no need to carry a spare front, you can drive home without a front shaft!
-spare axle shaft
-credit card with a decent amount left on it. You never know :doh:

Anyone else please add to :thumb:

Edit: most importantly, this is like a giant team offroading event, everyone's in it together for the duration. If you don't have it with, chances are someone may have it to lend or buy from. If you are a dick to everyone on the trail, maybe you will get converted to the good side of the force, and if not.....well best of luck finding your way home! Just kidding, the group will get you home, but you won't make the video. :cheesy:

Last edited:

Hightower

Extended brake line for the front brakes and brake fluid we pinched 2 brake lines last year. Have fun.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting this Greg. Looks like good lists for any run you don't want to walk home from. :thumb: It may be obvious to some, but for myself and possibly others, not so much. This could probably be it's own thread/sticky.

BTW: I can't believe anyone would go on a trip like this and be a "downer" or "dick," but I suppose it happens. :thinking:

Frank,

This is me being Captain Obvious, not trying to offend anyone's offroading experience, but here is kind of my minimum for the big epic trip "list of spares" and "to do lists";

Little ticket items =
-positive attitude
-change fluids if you are even close: diffs, engine oil, etc. it's cheap insurance
-grease everything!
-if you don't run an Atlas transfer case, take a 2-3 of the plastic bushing/clips that attach the transfer case shifter cable to the shifter and shift linkage on the case. They are about 13¢ a piece, part #68064273AA
-extra engine serpentine belt (also for future reference, take a photo with your phone of the way the belt is supposed to be routed, or use a paint marker to draw on the plastic radiator cowling a diagram of how the serpentine runs thru the pulleys. I have both)
-extra lengths of 3/8" fuel line, I keep at least 3 feet, make sure its fuel line, because that is high pressure hose, not just rubber tubing. 3/8" seems to be the most common used for aftermarket trans and power steering coolers etc.
-survival tape
-fuses assort.
-tire plug kit

-bigger positive attitude for the Debbie Downers out there bringing the bad karma with them
-spare u joints
-spare rear drive shaft, you can drive home without a front!
-spare axle shaft

Edit: most importantly, this is like a giant team offroading event, everyone's in it together for the duration. If you don't have it with, chances are someone may have it to lend or buy from. If you are a dick to everyone on the trail, maybe you will get converted to the good side of the force, and if not.....well best of luck finding your way home! Just kidding, the group will get you home, but you won't make the video. :cheesy:

GCM 2

MTG said:
Thanks for posting this Greg. Looks like good lists for any run you don't want to walk home from. :thumb: It may be obvious to some, but for myself and possibly others, not so much. This could probably be it's own thread/sticky.

Not a problem, I'm still learning too!

MTG said:
BTW: I can't believe anyone would go on a trip like this and be a "downer" or "dick," but I suppose it happens. :thinking:

There is always one . Life would be boring without them, although I have personally never been around one a trail run.........wait, if there is always one and I have never met one???? I gotta go now, I just realized something. Damn it!

Prime8

GCM 2 said:
Not a problem, I'm still learning too!

There is always one . Life would be boring without them, although I have personally never been around one a trail run.........wait, if there is always one and I have never met one???? I gotta go now, I just realized something. Damn it!

Haha, bummer man! It's you! Thanks for posting the list here. I agree it should be a sticky cause I'm going to lose it in this thread before I get the chance to print it...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
MTG said:

GCM 2 said:

This list is great and very helpful. The comments about the downers, and about helping others, ring very true to me. I've done a fair amount of self support whitewater kayak trips and also raft trips on 100+ mile (river miles) runs. Keeping a positive attitude is what keeps you going, individually and as a group.

Last edited:

CRAZYCASEY

I've been wanting to do this, especially after watching the videos form last year. I figured the jeep was finally ready, Dana 60s 40inch mud grapplers, long arm.... E-brake... Who needs an e brake.... I guess maybe next year!!!!

Trail Bud

Hooked
Frank,

Little ticket items =
-positive attitude
-grease everything!
-survival tape
-fuses assort.
-tire plug kit

-spare u joints
-spare rear drive shaft, you can get off the trail and home. no need to carry a spare front, you can drive home without a front shaft!
-spare axle shaft

Man somebody has been thinking.:thinking: Great list Greg.

Top Bottom