JK HID's

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Now that they are released what set up would you get and I mean all options? I don't know much about this stuff. What's the major difference between the 35W and the 55W? Brightness? Also, they have different shrouds and what exactly do they do? Are they just for looks? Very interested in this kit! Always liked the projector type head lights.

Shrouds are just a decorative cover to hide the guts behind the projector. It's all about personal taste. No real function change...some look better with light behind them, some not (halos). I personally like Apollos and gattling gun style.

As for the strength, I love the output from 55W 6000K bulbs. It is basically white with a smidgeon of blue....like OEM german vehicles. OEM germans are around the 5000K mark, but they are running @35W....at 55W, lights get whiter, so 55W and 6000K IMHO looks and functions perfectly. You can go with their HID systems/harnesses, or save money and just buy the housings and get a kit from DDM...up to you. TRS does provide quality components and their warranty/service is excellent.

His setup looks like mine, only I have my trim rings painted black.

sW07V8Mh.jpg

r52r0GWh.jpg

Halos behind the apollo shrouds.
m8ch6Gbh.jpg

Devallee

Shrouds are just a decorative cover to hide the guts behind the projector. It's all about personal taste. No real function change...some look better with light behind them, some not (halos). I personally like Apollos and gattling gun style.

As for the strength, I love the output from 55W 6000K bulbs. It is basically white with a smidgeon of blue....like OEM german vehicles. OEM germans are around the 5000K mark, but they are running @35W....at 55W, lights get whiter, so 55W and 6000K IMHO looks and functions perfectly. You can go with their HID systems/harnesses, or save money and just buy the housings and get a kit from DDM...up to you. TRS does provide quality components and their warranty/service is excellent.

His setup looks like mine, only I have my trim rings painted black.

View attachment 79167

View attachment 79168

Halos behind the apollo shrouds.
View attachment 79170

So you're saying I can buy the projector housing and whatnot but use the hid bulbs I already have?

Sent from my Galaxy S37

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So you're saying I can buy the projector housing and whatnot but use the hid bulbs I already have?

Sent from my Galaxy S37

No, that's not what Im saying. Im saying that these housings require a D2S bulb and the accompanying ballast. D2S is the type of bulb most commonly used in OEM HID applications. My point was, that to save money, you can buy the d2s bulbs and ballasts elsewhere, and only buy the housings and shrouds from TRS. The quality of the TRS components is higher, but many have run HID bulbs/ballasts from DDM for years without issue. My wife's CRV has DDM bulbs and ballasts which are running strong at 5 years, and my JK and my previous JK has run a DDM kit as well...going on 3 years now, so the choice is yours. You will get superior customer service if you buy everything from TRS, which may be useful if you are not familiar with HID wiring, canbus, etc etc etc.

Devallee

No, that's not what Im saying. Im saying that these housings require a D2S bulb and the accompanying ballast. D2S is the type of bulb most commonly used in OEM HID applications. My point was, that to save money, you can buy the d2s bulbs and ballasts elsewhere, and only buy the housings and shrouds from TRS. The quality of the TRS components is higher, but many have run HID bulbs/ballasts from DDM for years without issue. My wife's CRV has DDM bulbs and ballasts which are running strong at 5 years, and my JK and my previous JK has run a DDM kit as well...going on 3 years now, so the choice is yours. You will get superior customer service if you buy everything from TRS, which may be useful if you are not familiar with HID wiring, canbus, etc etc etc.

But you've run the ddm bulbs/ballasts with the trs housings and shrouds? I'm asking because I have the ddm kit in my jk now and am interested in these projectors

Sent from my Galaxy S37

TNuggs13

Thanks for all the info NFR. Keep it coming. Learning a lot since I have no experience. One other question. It said in the instructions that there might be some trimming/cutting for the install. What may have to be taken out and how difficult is it?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But you've run the ddm bulbs/ballasts with the trs housings and shrouds? I'm asking because I have the ddm kit in my jk now and am interested in these projectors

Sent from my Galaxy S37

Housings don't really change anything, so it doesn't matter what housings I run them in...the quality doesn't change. Regardless, I doubt any DDM kit you have is a d2s, so you will still need to order a new kit.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the info NFR. Keep it coming. Learning a lot since I have no experience. One other question. It said in the instructions that there might be some trimming/cutting for the install. What may have to be taken out and how difficult is it?

From what I have read, the lights fit, but require some wire harnesses to be pushed out of the way. There also seems to be a minor issue with the power steering reservoir that needs to be slightly tilted out of the way or moved over about 1"....again, nothing major, but it's not an easy drop in....it requires a little bit off work.

Here is the thread on these lights....

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?55250-Official-Morimoto-Sealed7

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Stock vs Sealed7

kXQZKb3.jpg

That wire harness needs to be pushed out of the way...this is on the 3.8L...not sure if the pentastar is different.

vKpgXpn.jpg

These lights were made with the JK in mind, as there is a monster demand for a proper HID setup, so you will see more and more JKs running them, and ironing out the kinks.

Driver's side, again, harness has to be moved...and the horn on 3.8Ls...on my 2014, the horn is near the master cylinder so it's a non-issue.
PSqjj0s.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You bet. D2S bulbs aren't like the rest...they have their own "weird" connectors.

bulb_d2s_4300k_base_750.jpg

However, since they ARE so commonly used in OEM applications, you can get ultrahigh quality units (denso, philips, osram, etc) for a reasonable price if you look hard enough...even at junkyards.

Cod

JW Speaker headlights and Fogs here, no complaints and DOT approved!.... if that is an issue to anybody

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
JW Speaker headlights and Fogs here, no complaints and DOT approved!.... if that is an issue to anybody

JWs are very nice lights, but are very expensive, and they are far from the best output wise. I will agree that they look the business. I have seen them in person, and IMHO, the trucklites are better lights for the money (output wise.) DOT doesn't mean much in terms of quality (remember, the OEM lights meet DOT standards, but can barely illuminate anything.) This is for those people that want simply the best light output from a JK. Technically, these lights do not met DOT standards since they have never been submitted for approval, but if you look at the beam pattern, it is identical to OEM systems, and you will never get pulled over if they are properly aimed, since there is no scatter.

This is a D2S bulb full output (bixenon highbeam without the cutoffshield aka lowbeam shield)

dsc-0085-small-7429846318321773993.jpg

With patterns like these, you won't have any trouble with the fuzz, unless you live in Cali, then you might.

DSCN4419.jpg

Last edited:

TNuggs13

Stock vs Sealed7

View attachment 79201

That wire harness needs to be pushed out of the way...this is on the 3.8L...not sure if the pentastar is different.

View attachment 79202

These lights were made with the JK in mind, as there is a monster demand for a proper HID setup, so you will see more and more JKs running them, and ironing out the kinks.

Driver's side, again, harness has to be moved...and the horn on 3.8Ls...on my 2014, the horn is near the master cylinder so it's a non-issue.
View attachment 79203

Again great info. Thanks. I have a buddy that could help me with all of this. Another reason to have a Jeep day once I make the purchase.

TNuggs13

JWs are very nice lights, but are very expensive, and they are far from the best output wise. I will agree that they look the business. I have seen them in person, and IMHO, the trucklites are better lights for the money (output wise.) DOT doesn't mean much in terms of quality (remember, the OEM lights meet DOT standards, but can barely illuminate anything.) This is for those people that want simply the best light output from a JK. Technically, these lights do not met DOT standards since they have never been submitted for approval, but if you look at the beam pattern, it is identical to OEM systems, and you will never get pulled over if they are properly aimed, since there is no scatter.

This is a D2S bulb full output (bixenon highbeam without the cutoffshield aka lowbeam shield)

dsc-0085-small-7429846318321773993.jpg

With patterns like these, you won't have any trouble with the fuzz, unless you live in Cali, then you might.

View attachment 79205

Man that's some light! I live in Cali but I've got the connections to get signed off if needed. Can't be worse than my wife's Grand Cherry. Her's from factory are blinding but put out some amazing light.

Cod

DOT doesn't mean much in terms of quality (remember, the OEM lights meet DOT standards, but can barely illuminate anything.)

Oh I agree, but DOT approved means they can't give you a ticket and make you take them out. Only reason I did JW was for the DOT Sticker, we have a few little rice burners around here that have gotten tickets for HID's and I just didn't want to spend the money only to have to back up and punt later.

:beer:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oh I agree, but DOT approved means they can't give you a ticket and make you take them out. Only reason I did JW was for the DOT Sticker, we have a few little rice burners around here that have gotten tickets for HID's and I just didn't want to spend the money only to have to back up and punt later.

:beer:

Yea I know Cali is crazy that's why I mentioned it. I don't have an issue since I'm not in Cali and mine are a retrofit into DOT housings so I still have the DOT stamp on em. :D Also, around here, cops don't bother jeeps, many own a jeep themselves. They go after the civics from crap like exhausts and HIDs.

Devallee

Yea I know Cali is crazy that's why I mentioned it. I don't have an issue since I'm not in Cali and mine are a retrofit into DOT housings so I still have the DOT stamp on em. :D Also, around here, cops don't bother jeeps, many own a jeep themselves. They go after the civics from crap like exhausts and HIDs.

I'm in southern California where drifting has gotten super popular so illegal lights on my Jeep is the least of their worries. Plus having a police officer for a father doesn't hurt either :cool: gonna be taking on this project very soon thanks to your info NFR.

Sent from my Galaxy S37

TNuggs13

I'm in southern California where drifting has gotten super popular so illegal lights on my Jeep is the least of their worries. Plus having a police officer for a father doesn't hurt either :cool: gonna be taking on this project very soon thanks to your info NFR.

Sent from my Galaxy S37

If you wouldn't mind the help from a noob who plans on getting these hopefully soon let me know. Would be nice to see how they go in and what needs to be done.

Top Bottom