JL - 4 things I don't like

78cj7

According to The Google, it is possible to roll-start a manual transmission equipped with push-button start. Maybe you all knew this already, but it was news to me. There is a way to depress the push-button that replicates the "on" position of a key-ignition, and then you can roll-start your vehicle just as if it were a key-ignition.

TLife

I’m with you here. The only reason I replaced them on my jk was because of how terrible factory is. On the jl you can get LED from the factory. If you’re worried about the headlights I would just go led from the start and not worry about replacement

The only problem is that factory LEDs are an $895 option on the JL. Yes, it comes with LED fogs and tails, but it’s still a bit spendy when compared to JK aftermarket ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem is that factory LEDs are an $895 option on the JL. Yes, it comes with LED fogs and tails, but it’s still a bit spendy when compared to JK aftermarket ones.

If the integrated headlights are anything like what comes on the Renegade and I do think they are, you should just be able to replace the bulbs with LED's. I did this on my Renegade it only cost something like $80. I should note that the difference the LED bulbs made was significant too.

main.php

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
That's a great question. Curious to hear the answer on this.

Edit: I have 2 vehicles with the push button start and love it.

Yes you can, I tested it last week. When u stall the dash actually tells u to do it

EDIT: sorry I was confusing roll start with the feature where u put it in first and start without pressing clutch so the jeep starts rolling as it’s starting. It still does that. I bet many folks don’t even know JK does that. I didn’t try roll starting it but u can put it in run just like if u had a key so shouldn’t be issue.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Exactly! If you've ever seen how nice the JK LED headlights are, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the JL LED headlights. :yup:

I should also note that it was pretty easy to convert the headlights on my Renegade to LED and it cost a LOT less too :yup:

You will find the JL halogen lamps are very close to the renegade. Very....

The halogens work much better than the jk as they are much larger and deeper so way better reflector. The new LEDs imo perform way better than any JK led ive ever seen.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

Go price out JW headlamps, fogs and taillamps and see how it compares. I bet you find the factory option is cheaper. If you just wanted headlamps you are right. And you should be able to do exactly like Eddie said on his Renegade.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

The halogens work much better than the jk as they are much larger and deeper so way better reflector. The new LEDs imo perform way better than any JK led ive ever seen.

The halogens on the Renny are much better than JK halogens, IMO, so that should be an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Go price out JW headlamps, fogs and taillamps and see how it compares. I bet you find the factory option is cheaper. If you just wanted headlamps you are right. And you should be able to do exactly like Eddie said on his Renegade.

I assumed as much but I'm glad to hear you confirm it. Sounds like an LED headlight upgrade will be super easy and cheap to do. That being said, like you, I still think the LED package is a good deal and I'm happy I went with it. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The halogens on the Renny are much better than JK halogens, IMO, so that should be an improvement.

I totally agree. That being said, upgrading the bulbs to LED makes them that much better. At least, they did for me on my Renegade. :yup:

main.php

TLife

If the integrated headlights are anything like what comes on the Renegade and I do think they are, you should just be able to replace the bulbs with LED's. I did this on my Renegade it only cost something like $80. I should note that the difference the LED bulbs made was significant too.

Good to know!

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Exactly! If you've ever seen how nice the JK LED headlights are, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the JL LED headlights. :yup:

I should also note that it was pretty easy to convert the headlights on my Renegade to LED and it cost a LOT less too :yup:
This^^^^ the 2017 jk LED headlights and fogs are fantastic. A world of difference from my 12s headlights!

Definitely don't like engine push start button. If you lose the electronic key on my car it's like $275.00 to replace. Is everyone so lazy they can't put a key in to start there car?

Also doesn't look like they upgraded the auto sway bar disconnect.

Ddays

Hooked
Definitely don't like engine push start button. If you lose the electronic key on my car it's like $275.00 to replace. Is everyone so lazy they can't put a key in to start there car?

Also doesn't look like they upgraded the auto sway bar disconnect.

You're correct in that they are not cheap, but Its over $100 to replace a lot of the chip keys as well. That's without factoring in the programming fee. Its not laziness, its convenience. Once you have one there's no more fumbling around for your keys while you have an armload of something, or like my Jeep, trying to fit the key in the lock. Just put your hand on the door handle and it unlocks. Jump in and push the button and you're on you're way. Pretty sweet and yes, I am spoiled by them now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're correct in that they are not cheap, but Its over $100 to replace a lot of the chip keys as well. That's without factoring in the programming fee. Its not laziness, its convenience. Once you have one there's no more fumbling around for your keys while you have an armload of something, or like my Jeep, trying to fit the key in the lock. Just put your hand on the door handle and it unlocks. Jump in and push the button and you're on you're way. Pretty sweet and yes, I am spoiled by them now.

Yeah, I'm with you here. After having push button start on my Renegade, I kinda got used to it and now look forward to having it on my new JL :yup:

Oh, and yes, I did have one of the chipped keys for Rubicat loose it's memory and that left me stranded. To add insult to injury, it wasn't cheap to get it replaced.

Wonder if the JLs transfercase shift cable has the cheapie plastic eyelet bushings that dry out, crack, and crumble? Not sure which is more fun to change....At the t case or under the centre console.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tanktitan

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the things that you have to love about the jeep community is that they find solutions to problems and enhancements to factory. I’m wondering if you could just replace that portion of the axle with a solid shaft, if this becomes a problem?

If I could guess, Dynatrac already has a solution for this and it'll be one of the first thing people buy kind of like how people used to buy axle c gussets :crazyeyes:

Tanktitan

If I could guess, Dynatrac already has a solution for this and it'll be one of the first thing people buy kind of like how people used to buy axle c gussets :crazyeyes:

Over the years I have bought thousands of pieces of heavy equipment used in harsh environments. Many of these have been new designs. The first thing I ask of the engineers with a new design is to show me the finite element analysis. I ask them to show me where is it going to break first. The FEA shows where the stress points are. It would be nice if FCA would published the FEA on this. It is certainly possible for this area to be built stronger than the axle itself. If people are concerned, they should step up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom