JL - 4 things I don't like

RedRocker

Yeah, I'm with you here. After having push button start on my Renegade, I kinda got used to it and now look forward to having it on my new JL :yup:

Oh, and yes, I did have one of the chipped keys for Rubicat loose it's memory and that left me stranded. To add insult to injury, it wasn't cheap to get it replaced.

Even my Harley had a sequence of actions I could perform with the turn signal buttons to enter a code to start the bike if the battery in the security fob died or the fob was lost. Find it hard to believe there isn't something similar on the JL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even my Harley had a sequence of actions I could perform with the turn signal buttons to enter a code to start the bike if the battery in the security fob died or the fob was lost. Find it hard to believe there isn't something similar on the JL.

There might be but I didn't know it at the time and still don't :crazyeyes:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

The way it is set up is there is a backup RFID in the key. If the fob battery dies u just put the fob next to push button and vehicle will still start as it can read the RFID. Has to be close to it. Been this way in all push button type vehicles for years. Where you place the key varies by vehicle but it won’t strand you.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
If the integrated headlights are anything like what comes on the Renegade and I do think they are, you should just be able to replace the bulbs with LED's. I did this on my Renegade it only cost something like $80. I should note that the difference the LED bulbs made was significant too.

main.php

You will find the JL halogen lamps are very close to the renegade. Very....

The halogens work much better than the jk as they are much larger and deeper so way better reflector. The new LEDs imo perform way better than any JK led ive ever seen.

I totally agree. That being said, upgrading the bulbs to LED makes them that much better. At least, they did for me on my Renegade. :yup:

main.php

So $1000 LED upgrade on the JL. Or swap out bulbs from the halogen for a bunch less?

This will be a decision I'll need to think over a bit. They now have replacement LEDs for everything. Headlights, fogs and reverse. If the new housings allows for better reflection and dispersement, even the better. Maybe it'll be my first JL write up. Lol. [emoji23]

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I guess one thing i dont like is the rear tailamps, they have the car alert (blindspot) system built in them. Hope they come out with a guard for them soon, hate to see what they cost to replace.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I guess one thing i dont like is the rear tailamps, they have the car alert (blindspot) system built in them. Hope they come out with a guard for them soon, hate to see what they cost to replace.

They only have that if u get blind spot. Separate options. U can get led tail lamps without them, but if you get blind spot you will get leds. Yes they are expensive if you break them! I’ve been telling anyone who asks unless you are hell bent on having blind spot (it is a nice feature) and you plan to wheel it, don’t get them. This imo is a bigger worry than the lights in the fenders, I’ve been through 3 sets of tail lamps on my JK lol

78cj7

Try Headlight Revolution, they seem to do a good job testing the different options. Its not always as simple as swapping the halogen bulb for an LED. The housing design, reflectors, ballast design, connectors, and some other stuff all factor in to whether you get a good bright light with a good pattern. There are good options, you just have to find 'em. Here is one of their videos, but there are a bunch of others. Before I replaced my headlights on my JK I found a great video that reviewed all the 7-inch round LEDs and went with JW Speaker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sonh4lHu4XE

Sahara_Maverick

Try Headlight Revolution, they seem to do a good job testing the different options. Its not always as simple as swapping the halogen bulb for an LED. The housing design, reflectors, ballast design, connectors, and some other stuff all factor in to whether you get a good bright light with a good pattern. There are good options, you just have to find 'em. Here is one of their videos, but there are a bunch of others. Before I replaced my headlights on my JK I found a great video that reviewed all the 7-inch round LEDs and went with JW Speaker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sonh4lHu4XE

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I bought a couple to test but they were crap.

The ones I got for the Jeep's rear lights led to hyperflashing (flash too fast) and did not last long. So, cannot trust the same for my wife's car's headlights.

Looking for recommended brands and vendors for these bulbs.

Sounds like you needed ballast resistors. LED bulbs are ok but they aren’t as bright or as reliable as quality LED lights.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Sounds like you needed ballast resistors. LED bulbs are ok but they aren’t as bright or as reliable as quality LED lights.

Just a reminder, this discussion got started because the halogen headlight housings, on the JL are reportedly much improved. Similar to the Renegade headlights.

Yes, JK housings are crap, but Wayoflife did convert Renny to LED, with some success.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a reminder, this discussion got started because the halogen headlight housings, on the JL are reportedly much improved. Similar to the Renegade headlights.

Yes, JK housings are crap, but Wayoflife did convert Renny to LED, with some success.

THIS ^^^^^

Also, there wasn't just "some" success converting our Renegade to LED, the difference was night and day. :yup:

RedRocker

The way it is set up is there is a backup RFID in the key. If the fob battery dies u just put the fob next to push button and vehicle will still start as it can read the RFID. Has to be close to it. Been this way in all push button type vehicles for years. Where you place the key varies by vehicle but it won’t strand you.

Hah. I knew you would know the answer on this one bud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I bought a couple to test but they were crap.

The ones I got for the Jeep's rear lights led to hyperflashing (flash too fast) and did not last long. So, cannot trust the same for my wife's car's headlights.

Looking for recommended brands and vendors for these bulbs.

I would also personally suggest AUXBeam. I used to have their pods that I liked and a few of my buddies run their LED bulbs in their daily’s and seem to love them

Top Bottom