Jmayps' 2013 2dr JK Build of GEMINI

jmayps

Well, what had happened was.... I made it across the first time no problem with water (mud) below the rockers. Then tried to make it across a different direction and up the muddy slope...and then I found a big hole. As I got close to the end the wake I created hit the edge and came back towards me as I hit the hole and I found that I was stuck....really stuck. Luckily, and I mean really lucky, but the intake was dry and I was pulled out by my much more intelligent buddy and the engine and intake were all dry. So, to answer your question, I was the goon lol. Lesson learned though! Not trying that again.

Swampdog, thanks for the info I'll definitely check out Carolina axle!

jmayps

Alright, a little update. After sitting down and thinking what my build plan was going to be I decided spending a lot of money on the d30 was not what I wanted to do. As of right now I'm going to spend the initial phase of the build on armor/safety equipment, then lift, then axle and gears/lockers.

Just ordered the EVO rear fascia kit which should be here this week. Next will be the side armor and sliders.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmayps

Update for today: EVO rear fascia kit came in today. Sanded and repainted the rear frame rail, bought some white vinyl paper at hobby lobby and bolted on the rear fascia. Now just waiting to get a tail gate license plate holder.

jmayps

IMG_1475631060.903736.jpg IMG_1475631072.534943.jpg IMG_1475631083.267539.jpg

Unfortunately I cross threaded two bolts on the driver side and will be getting those replaced tomorrow.

Now on to the rock sliders and side armor!

jmayps

Haven't posted in a while, things have been pretty busy at work/training. Figured it was time for an update. Recently added the EVO rock sliders which a buddy from my local 4x4 club helped install.
IMG_2802.JPG

After the install my brother and I left for a day trip to URE. Actually made it up Daniel this time!
IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2809.JPG

Also just added some trucklites to finally replace my stock headlights; huge improvement. Next mod will most likely be diff covers and skids.

jmayps

Ran into an issue today. I've had a squeal coming from my brakes the past few days. Today on my way home from work my brakes gave out. If I stepped on the brake pedal it would drop to the floor and my brake light came on. Guessing it's time to replace them.

Once I got home I got out and immediately smelled what I'm guessing is brake fluid and looked under the rear driver side and saw this:
IMG_2819.JPG IMG_2820.JPG IMG_2821.JPG

I'm going to look for a write up, but does anybody ave any experience with this? Thanks in advance for any help!

WJCO

Meme King
Did the hose blow or the caliper seal blow out? If caliper seal, likely the pads were getting VERY thin and piston extended too much. This noise you were hearing previously, squeaking or grinding?

jmayps

Did the hose blow or the caliper seal blow out? If caliper seal, likely the pads were getting VERY thin and piston extended too much. This noise you were hearing previously, squeaking or grinding?

More of a high pitch grinding. From the rear. The hose looks fine, but this part is pretty covered in fluid. Image1479918687.777748.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
More of a high pitch grinding. From the rear. The hose looks fine, but this part is pretty covered in fluid.

I bet your inboard pad wore down to the metal backing and piston popped out. You'll have to take it apart to see. You can rebuild the caliper, but with cost nowadays, I would just buy a new one if indeed that's what happened. I'm guessing it's been grinding for awhile? Also, clean everything really good with brakeclean ASAP. Brake fluid eats through paint.

jmayps

Awesome I appreciate the help/advice. That'll be my thanksgiving weekend project. Yea it was making that noise for a while but I thought it was mud or dirt since I'd been through a lot of it recently.

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome I appreciate the help/advice. That'll be my thanksgiving weekend project. Yea it was making that noise for a while but I thought it was mud or dirt since I'd been through a lot of it recently.

Run your fingers over this part of the rotor. If it's really rough torn up metal, then your inboard pad wore to metal backing. It should be smooth, you can check your front rotors to compare it to. You can check the other side of the rear rotor too. If it ran thin enough to pop the caliper piston out, I wouldn't even bother measuring the rotor for thickness, just put a new one on. So you'll need pads, rotor and caliper likely.

IMG_2821.JPG

jmayps

I bet your inboard pad wore down to the metal backing and piston popped out. You'll have to take it apart to see. You can rebuild the caliper, but with cost nowadays, I would just buy a new one if indeed that's what happened. I'm guessing it's been grinding for awhile? Also, clean everything really good with brakeclean ASAP. Brake fluid eats through paint.

Finally got everything replaced and fixed today. Made multiple runs to the auto parts store. My driver side rotor was worn waaaaaaay down and the caliper had a major piece missing out of it. Additionally the brake pads were worn so low that the metal backing on it had come off and got jammed against the rotor. Father in law taught me how to replace everything and for less than $200 I replaced both rear rotors, driver side caliper, added new pads, and bled the breaks. I can fix brakes now!!! Thanks WJCO and everyone for the advice. I'm driving again!

WJCO

Meme King
Finally got everything replaced and fixed today. Made multiple runs to the auto parts store. My driver side rotor was worn waaaaaaay down and the caliper had a major piece missing out of it. Additionally the brake pads were worn so low that the metal backing on it had come off and got jammed against the rotor. Father in law taught me how to replace everything and for less than $200 I replaced both rear rotors, driver side caliper, added new pads, and bled the breaks. I can fix brakes now!!! Thanks WJCO and everyone for the advice. I'm driving again!

Wow. I missed this post the other day. Glad you got it solved and glad you know how to fix this stuff in the future if it ever comes up.

jmayps

Just stumbled upon this thread and the rig looks great man. Our Jeeps might be long lost brothers [emoji57]

Just looked through your build thread, our Jeeps look almost identical! How do you like the height your coils gave you? I'm thinking about either saving up and ordering the 3" enforcer or the evo leveling kit and building everything else up until I'm ready for 37s.

jmayps

Wow. I missed this post the other day. Glad you got it solved and glad you know how to fix this stuff in the future if it ever comes up.

I'm glad I got it solved too. Now I just need to do the front brake pads and order a set of longer brake lines and get those swapped in. Hopefully I won't have to mess with the brakes for a while. How often do brakes pads usually last on average? Figure it's different per JK, JKU, tire size, etc.

Top Bottom