Last Minute Hydro Questions

J

JKDream

Finished the install today. Wasn't very difficult, some of the lines are a real pain in the ass to get to.
Definitely have to get creative with the hose routing as they send some decently long lines.

First impressions, my steering has gotten significantly tighter.
Could be in part due to the rebuilt box, but there is literally zero play in the wheel.
Huge improvement in steering power, I bound the tire against a wall and it just pushed the entire jeep away from it.
Steering is quite a bit heavier at slow speeds - assuming this is because of the OE pump or I didn't bleed it well enough.
It doesn't bind up at all though, just slows down a bit. Highway was a lot different, the Jeep doesn't react to the road anymore.
Potholes, bumps, road grooves etc doesn't pull it around which is really nice.
I'm pretty impressed with the kit so far, everything seems well built.
Bleeding the system sure was a pain in the ass though.

Finished product:
23283175_10214641219493656_269464708_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeeeep

Hooked
Finished the install today. Wasn't very difficult, some of the lines are a real pain in the ass to get to.
Definitely have to get creative with the hose routing as they send some decently long lines.

First impressions, my steering has gotten significantly tighter.
Could be in part due to the rebuilt box, but there is literally zero play in the wheel.
Huge improvement in steering power, I bound the tire against a wall and it just pushed the entire jeep away from it.
Steering is quite a bit heavier at slow speeds - assuming this is because of the OE pump or I didn't bleed it well enough.
It doesn't bind up at all though, just slows down a bit. Highway was a lot different, the Jeep doesn't react to the road anymore.
Potholes, bumps, road grooves etc doesn't pull it around which is really nice.
I'm pretty impressed with the kit so far, everything seems well built.
Bleeding the system sure was a pain in the ass though.

Finished product:
View attachment 282085

steering shouldn't be tighter at slower speeds

I ran into a similar issue with my PSC.

did you change the pulley on the pump? Also, because the Jeep idle drops so low, they also changed out the high pressure port on the pump with one that had a smaller opening to slow the flow.

from my experience, it'll get worse when on the trail once the heat builds up from going slow.

Turning should feel the same at all speeds.

you want to make sure there is no air in the system, nothing sucks worse than being on the trail, needing to turn and have zero assist.

J

JKDream

steering shouldn't be tighter at slower speeds

I ran into a similar issue with my PSC.

did you change the pulley on the pump? Also, because the Jeep idle drops so low, they also changed out the high pressure port on the pump with one that had a smaller opening to slow the flow.

from my experience, it'll get worse when on the trail once the heat builds up from going slow.

Turning should feel the same at all speeds.

you want to make sure there is no air in the system, nothing sucks worse than being on the trail, needing to turn and have zero assist.

I'm just running the stock pump with no modifications. I was going to burp the system again tomorrow morning and see what changes.
I'm quite happy with it however, the assist is definitely working and has a lot of power. I might look at doing a pump mod or a high flow pump down the road.
Testing it out on the rocks tomorrow.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I'm just running the stock pump with no modifications. I was going to burp the system again tomorrow morning and see what changes.
I'm quite happy with it however, the assist is definitely working and has a lot of power. I might look at doing a pump mod or a high flow pump down the road.
Testing it out on the rocks tomorrow.

That sounds excellent! I am going to install the ported box and the ram and also change my pump sometime this week as they ported a spare I had for more flow. I will let you know how it feels.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Odd that the ends on the ram side aren't 90 degree fittings. Mine are. Was it a request?

So far I haven't needed a cooler after multiple uses with mine.

J

JKDream

Odd that the ends on the ram side aren't 90 degree fittings. Mine are. Was it a request?

So far I haven't needed a cooler after multiple uses with mine.
It came with them in the box but with the way I routed the hoses it worked better with straight fittings

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

I see where my confusion came from. My first set of hoses were like yours with separate 90s.

20170821_105553%7E2.jpg

I got a second set from them that they installed when I ran into an issue however I didn't pay attention to the difference until this thread. I bent one this weekend out wheeling and ordered a new pair from them today. I should call and clarify but since you recently orded this I assume I'll get what you got.

20170906_184220%7E2.jpg

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I am curious to see what happens to the straight fittings at the ram when you compress the axle up. Please let us know as every steering ram assist I have seen has 90 degree angle fittings.

J

JKDream

I see where my confusion came from. My first set of hoses were like yours with separate 90s.

View attachment 282338

I got a second set from them that they installed when I ran into an issue however I didn't pay attention to the difference until this thread. I bent one this weekend out wheeling and ordered a new pair from them today. I should call and clarify but since you recently orded this I assume I'll get what you got.

View attachment 282339

I would assume so. The steering box side has 90 degree fittings already attached that aren't removable.

I am curious to see what happens to the straight fittings at the ram when you compress the axle up. Please let us know as every steering ram assist I have seen has 90 degree angle fittings.

I tested it in the shop and didn't see any clearance issues. I do need to route the lines behind the draglink though, I bled the system and forgot to twist it backwards.

J

JKDream

Could you actually do me a huge favor and take a photo of how you routed the lines from the steering box?
I was worried about them hitting the pullies so I routed the lines in between front crossmember/rad support.

Jackal01

Could you actually do me a huge favor and take a photo of how you routed the lines from the steering box?
I was worried about them hitting the pullies so I routed the lines in between front crossmember/rad support.
Scroll up a bit. I posted some already.

Interesting. These current hoses have 90s on both ends.

J

JKDream

Scroll up a bit. I posted some already.

Interesting. These current hoses have 90s on both ends.

Thanks - I saw those I was more wondering about from the steering box down.
Did you run them just straight off the box in between the motor/rad or did you route them through a crossmember etc?

Jackal01

Thanks - I saw those I was more wondering about from the steering box down.
Did you run them just straight off the box in between the motor/rad or did you route them through a crossmember etc?
The pics should show it well enough but this onr may help. They go down from the box, under the track bar, then between the tie rod and track bar.

20171025_183813%7E2.jpg

J

JKDream

The pics should show it well enough but this onr may help. They go down from the box, under the track bar, then between the tie rod and track bar.

View attachment 282348

Thanks, I'll definitely swap out the fittings later today. That looks much better than the current routing.
Did you make any changes to your stock pump?

Jackal01

Thanks, I'll definitely swap out the fittings later today. That looks much better than the current routing.
Did you make any changes to your stock pump?
When I was at their shop I asked since on their website it mentions that. They advise against it for the JK. Essentially what they sell is what they believe is all that is needed.

J

JKDream

When I was at their shop I asked since on their website it mentions that. They advise against it for the JK. Essentially what they sell is what they believe is all that is needed.

Cool, I saw that post too so I was wondering what exactly they were talking about.
Steering feels really good as is now so I'll leave it alone.
Glad I no longer have the two inch dead spot in the center, that was annoying.

Thanks for the help!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
How did you guys get rid of all the rotation of the ram due to the Heim joints? I can rotate my ram quite a bit which causes my fittings and hose to hit the tie rod.

J

JKDream

How did you guys get rid of all the rotation of the ram due to the Heim joints? I can rotate my ram quite a bit which causes my fittings and hose to hit the tie rod.

How did you mount your tabs? I have full rotation without hitting anything.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
How did you mount your tabs? I have full rotation without hitting anything.

On the axle side I have the Dynatrac ProRock 60 mount and I used a PSC clamp on the tie rod. Both of the Heim joints on the ram are able to allow the ram to rotate back and forth probably 30 degrees or so.

J

JKDream

On the axle side I have the Dynatrac ProRock 60 mount and I used a PSC clamp on the tie rod. Both of the Heim joints on the ram are able to allow the ram to rotate back and forth probably 30 degrees or so.

Do you have your ram fittings facing slightly forward like the photo above?
That's the only reason mine don't hit.

Top Bottom