Last rebuild...

deantac

My steer link is a problem...I searched all over and at the off road expo and could not find what I needed. most wanted me to drop couple grand on a steering system that I didn't need.

So I decided to drill out the threads on the Dynatrac adjuster and weld in a bung. Well... it's heat treated chromo and I could not drill out the fucking threads...:tantrum:

I ended up using a die grinder with a course stone and after forever !... I had the threads gone.

Started to weld in the bung and realized that it has some coating on it and it bubbled yellow and left a white ash when it cooled down....I grounded it down more and held my breath and finished it. must be some cadmium like coating .

IMG_1109.jpg

deantac

Then I changed my steering shaft to the box...I had switched my box over from the Mercedes one to the earlier Saginaw one, I never liked the angle after the 1" body lift.

Ordered a male and female double d shafts and used a heim I had with a piece of tubing. much better.

IMG_1108.jpg

deantac

Ordered driveshaft's....I was close to the same length front and rear, so I ordered the same length and knew I was going to be a little short on the front but it would be fine....then I realized I could push my front axle further forward more than before, so that got me about a inch more wheel base...so the shaft is extended more than I planned...I feel I'm still good thou, at lest 60 percent is still inside the yoke and I have about .25-.5" movement.

IMG_1123.jpg

This is a pic from their web site you can see how long the male spline is.

JEReel-1410cc-1250x1250.jpg

deantac

Nice creative work. Keep a close eye on that steering weld as I'm sure you will.

Yea for sure....the way I did it ...It cannot come apart even if the heim was gone....the female shaft is welded at the steering box end of the yoke and it bolts to the box of course and the male end bolts to the steering column. and there is really no load on it.

I hope it don't fall apart...LOL don't jinx me :fingerscrossed:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ordered driveshaft's....I was close to the same length front and rear, so I ordered the same length and knew I was going to be a little short on the front but it would be fine....then I realized I could push my front axle further forward more than before, so that got me about a inch more wheel base...so the shaft is extended more than I planned...I feel I'm still good thou, at lest 60 percent is still inside the yoke and I have about .25-.5" movement.

View attachment 317965

This is a pic from their web site you can see how long the male spline is.

View attachment 317966

You might get driveline vibrations from that. That’s the way mine is and I have them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

deantac

Time for some powder coating, I unbolted the things I wanted coated and headed off to Palmdale...dropped them off in the morning and the next morning they were done ! fast turn around and they looked great....didn't take a picture of them when I picked them up.

IMG_1149.jpg

I swapped in a new master cylinder, ordered flex brakes and ran them down the links and bled the brakes...still have air need to keep doing it.....trying to get things tightened up making sure washers and nuts in place.

IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg

Getting closer it's taken a long time to get to this point.

IMG_1172.jpg

deantac

One last check...full extension and bump check.

IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg

Full extension looks good, now bump check...Tight ! I had to bend the brake lines back to clear the trac bar.....Looks like all is good.

IMG_1190.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg

deantac

Welded on the front bump stops, threw on the powder coated parts... and went down to Carson to get my shocks set up...since we're down there me and the wife went to Hermosa beach and relaxed for a few hours.

IMG_1227.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1239.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg

deantac

Shocks in bumps in.....sitting a little high in the rear, need to add tire carrier and all my other gear back on.

IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg

Tire carrier back on...Also my new license plate.

IMG_1304.jpg

I brushed the aluminum up to get rid of the shine....Now it all about adjusting everything.......Getting close to taking it for a test drive. maybe in a couple weeks.

IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1312.jpg

deantac

Mounted the new front bumper, with some lights to replace my broken ones, I'll get better ones later on and my seats showed up finally.

IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg

Top Bottom