Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

Journeyman

I vote old school. Cheap and easy! You just have to figure out what shade lense you like. Most people prefer a 10, but I almost always prefer an 11. It allows me to focus more on what the weld puddle is doing and when burning lots of welds your eyeballs will appreciate it at the end of the day. You'll just have to set up properly for your weld pass before you drop the hood. But that will probably make you a better welder learning how to set up properly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Definitely don't go with the HF special. I started welding using one. It lasted a little over a year and failed on me mid weld. Burnt my eyes pretty bad. Now I use a Lincoln Viking helmet. It's kinda middle of the road, but so much nicer than what I had gotten used to. You can actually see the puddle as you work, and not having a descent one to learn with I never knew that I wasn't seeing enough. Any welding supply or gas supply store should have a descent selection.

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats on the welder. I think flux core is the easiest for basic use up to .250 thicknesses. It's not as clean but it gets the job done. For a helmet, I try and stay in the 100 dollar range. Not the cheapest but not super expensive. I see you already bought one. Play around and see it you like it. I prefer the auto darkening ones but as mentioned, sometimes they don't read the ambient light correctly. The one I have currently has a solar panel and charges itself. It's been pretty good so far.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Congrats on the welder. I think flux core is the easiest for basic use up to .250 thicknesses. It's not as clean but it gets the job done. For a helmet, I try and stay in the 100 dollar range. Not the cheapest but not super expensive. I see you already bought one. Play around and see it you like it. I prefer the auto darkening ones but as mentioned, sometimes they don't read the ambient light correctly. The one I have currently has a solar panel and charges itself. It's been pretty good so far.

This one sounds like what you are describing. It was $119.00.

IMG_8452.jpg

I bought some 0.35 flux core.

notnalc68

I appreciate the replies, everyone. Like I said, searching here, this question had been asked, a couple of times, but the threads were short, and old.

Now I need a cutting torch, and I'm not crazy about this grinder, I have.

WJCO

Meme King
I appreciate the replies, everyone. Like I said, searching here, this question had been asked, a couple of times, but the threads were short, and old.

Now I need a cutting torch, and I'm not crazy about this grinder, I have.

Cutting torch? What kind of metal are you cutting? A good chop saw with a carbide blade works pretty well. And as far as cutting with fire, plasma is way easier IMO but more expensive.

notnalc68

Cutting torch? What kind of metal are you cutting? A good chop saw with a carbide blade works pretty well. And as far as cutting with fire, plasma is way easier IMO but more expensive.

Idk man, I've just never seen a welder without a torch. I totally forgot chop saws, and I do use a cutting wheel on my grinder. Total newb, here.

WJCO

Meme King
Idk man, I've just never seen a welder without a torch. I totally forgot chop saws, and I do use a cutting wheel on my grinder. Total newb, here.

Made this video just for you, Clay. You can see how clean a saw will cut. Torches are messy. Torch is a great tool, but IMO, not as accurate as a saw or plasma.

Rubicon310

I too am currently looking for a welder. Totally new to welding. Put down my first bead 2 weeks ago in my buddies garage. Seems like I'll be ordering the Miller 211 next week. Great thread!

Top Bottom