Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

ob_tj

Made this video just for you, Clay. You can see how clean a saw will cut. Torches are messy. Torch is a great tool, but IMO, not as accurate as a saw or plasma.

I have to agree with this. A torch leaves a lot of slag. Lately I've been using my grinder with a cutting wheel on it.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Made this video just for you, Clay. You can see how clean a saw will cut. Torches are messy. Torch is a great tool, but IMO, not as accurate as a saw or plasma.

Agreed. If you are trying to do relative precision stuff chop saws with abrasive blades blow ass in my opinion. As you push on them the blade warps or gets a crazing on it. Its especially bad if you are doing mitre cuts. By the time you have done 4 cuts on square tubing they are usually outta whack.

I got an Evolution Rage 2 14" metal cutting saw about 6 or 7 years ago and it has worked great. Carbide blades take nice chips. Lower RPM than a wood cutting chop saw and cuts very quick and accurately.

I had a torch setup and sold it as i rarely used it.

1_89c2d7a7-3b90-447f-94c6-c0dd33dfe3e7_grande.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Agreed. If you are trying to do relative precision stuff chop saws with abrasive blades blow ass in my opinion. As you push on them the blade warps or gets a crazing on it. Its especially bad if you are doing mitre cuts. By the time you have done 4 cuts on square tubing they are usually outta whack.

I got an Evolution Rage 2 14" metal cutting saw about 6 or 7 years ago and it has worked great. Carbide blades take nice chips. Lower RPM than a wood cutting chop saw and cuts very quick and accurately.

I had a torch setup and sold it as i rarely used it.

View attachment 246748

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Agreed if you get too fast on a carbide blade that they can warp or chip. I just go slow. That saw you recommended looks interesting. I may look into that in the future.

Rubicon310

For years I've had a desire to learn how to weld. After watching Eddies video on Jane, I was inspired to learn basic welding. I reached out to a good friend of mine that spent a couple hours teaching me free of charge. He suggested I buy the Miller 212 but after doing some research and my budget, I realized i was better off with the Miller 211. After a couple of weeks, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Miller 211 with a 125cf tank and Miller Elite hood. This should be plenty for me for a long time. If I ever start welding more than the 211 can handle, I'll look into purchasing the 256. Anxiously waiting for the arrival of my new tools and looking forward to learning and feeling very comfortable laying down some solid beads.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Anvil JKUR

For years I've had a desire to learn how to weld. After watching Eddies video on Jane, I was inspired to learn basic welding. I reached out to a good friend of mine that spent a couple hours teaching me free of charge. He suggested I buy the Miller 212 but after doing some research and my budget, I realized i was better off with the Miller 211. After a couple of weeks, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Miller 211 with a 125cf tank and Miller Elite hood. This should be plenty for me for a long time. If I ever start welding more than the 211 can handle, I'll look into purchasing the 256. Anxiously waiting for the arrival of my new tools and looking forward to learning and feeling very comfortable laying down some solid beads.

I have owned the Miller 211 you will not be disappointed.
Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
As long as the tip fits through there, you should be fine. The flux is built into the wire, so the nozzle isn't really doing anything. At least that's how mine is.

I was reading in the instructions, and it said the flux nozzle just makes it easier to see the puddle. The only reason I didn't fire it up, yesterday, was because I had 0.030 tips, and 0.035 wire, and didn't want to go back to the store.

drty6

Something that might help with your beads when using a wire welder is when you start your puddle there will be a little bubble right behind your wire. Don't let it catch your wire as you run the bead

Top Bottom