Learning to Weld-- Tips for Beginners on Welding and Gear

Tumbleweed

Another tip:
Never have the current go through a bearing or Johnny Joint type of thing. Don't have the bearing between the Ground and the Electrode you are welding with. The bearings will arc internally and get messed up.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Here's my first bead. Flux core, from a Hobart Handler 140. Rough, I know. I think I had my helmet set too dark. I couldn't see what I was doing, well enough.
IMG_8528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubicon310

This is only my 4th time welding. Please tell me what you see wrong with the weld, what I should do differently. Welding with a Miller 211 hooked to 220v, .030 wire and argon/CO2 mix.

IMG_8906.jpg

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish could change the answer. For thin body work I would say it looks great. Multiple short stitches and lots of cooling time to avoid warping. If for something stronger and thicker then I would recommend stringing the bead out to get maximum penetration. The puddle looks like it's laying out nicely, but it may be a touch hot if you run a longer bead.

Rubicon310

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish could change the answer. For thin body work I would say it looks great. Multiple short stitches and lots of cooling time to avoid warping. If for something stronger and thicker then I would recommend stringing the bead out to get maximum penetration. The puddle looks like it's laying out nicely, but it may be a touch hot if you run a longer bead.

When you say "a touch hot" what do you mean? That it could melt the metal too much? Sorry, I'm still learning the lingo.

Top Bottom